UConn @ UMass (4/19 @ 1500hrs) | The Boneyard

UConn @ UMass (4/19 @ 1500hrs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Southington's Joe Rivera w/ his first career start.
plug.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Got to say, I don't understand Rivera getting the start. I get he had a good game last week but why mess with the rotation, especially during a winning streak. If anything, you hope you win these 2 games easy then use him in relief to get him some innings.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chris Jones just said that Rossomondo is out for a "few weeks" with an oblique injury?? Could be why Rivera got a chance. He also thinks that since Napiarsky is now throwing in this game - Zapata tomorrow?

UConnBaseball 4:09pm via Twitter Web Client
END 3: #UConn 2, UMass 2
Minutemen tie it up but @RajkowskiDan works out of a bases-loaded, one-out jam with back-to-back Ks. #HookC

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 4:21pm via Twitter Web Client
B4: #UConn will go to the 'pen -- fourth pitcher of the game will be Trevor Holmes. Two on with no one out for UMass in a 2-2 ballgame.

sigh...

UConnBaseball 4:30pm via Twitter Web Client
B4: UMass 6, #UConn 2
Minutemen have scored four times in the frame. Nico Darras comes on to try and halt the offensive output. #HookC

UConnBaseball 4:34pm via Twitter Web Client
END 4: Darras gets out of further trouble by starting a 1-6-3 double play. Toppa-Hill-Sundberg look to answer.#UConn trails, 6-2. #HookC

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Penders really messing with the staff today and it is costing them. You're on a roll and decide to start pitching guys who haven't pitched all year. Get a big lead first, then give guys opportunities not the other way around especially when the team has finally hit a groove. Hopefully they still have time to turn this around but this would be awful and basically nullify the sweep of Houston for our RPI.

Reaction Score
Penders really messing with the staff today and it is costing them. You're on a roll and decide to start pitching guys who haven't pitched all year. Get a big lead first, then give guys opportunities not the other way around especially when the team has finally hit a groove. Hopefully they still have time to turn this around but this would be awful and basically nullify the sweep of Houston for our RPI.

I'm sure w/ losing Rossomondo for a few weeks (at best) he's mining for starters/arms w/ ECU looming.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm sure w/ losing Rossomondo for a few weeks (at best) he's mining for starters/arms w/ ECU looming.

When injuries occur in the area of the team with the least depth, this is inevitable...it's a numbers game, not Penders Ineptitude (TM).

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 4:42pm via Twitter Web Client
T5: UMass 6, #UConn 3
@WillyYahn gets one back with a double to left, plating Toppa. Two in scoring position for Melley. #BleedBlue

UConnBaseball 4:46pm via Twitter Web Client
T5: UMass 6, #UConn 5
Three runs on four hits so far in the inning for the Husky bats after RBI singles from Melley and Duff. #HookC

UConnBaseball 4:50pm via Twitter Web Client
MID 5: UMass 6, #UConn 5
Minutemen escape further trouble with a 6-4-3 double play. Darras stays on the B5. #BleedBlue

Fugly game...

Reaction Score

When your starter gets knocked out early like Rivera was today, the rules change. Besides, midweek games against weak opponents are when you pitch your little used guys, especially in a week when you have two midweek games. You don't want to go long innings in these games with your best relievers.

UConn pitching has given up at least 8 walks so far. It seems that if two hitters get on against any of these pitchers, Penders brings in the next arm from the bullpen.

Reaction Score
Chris Jones just said that Rossomondo is out for a "few weeks" with an oblique injury?? Could be why Rivera got a chance. He also thinks that since Napiarsky is now throwing in this game - Zapata tomorrow?

UConnBaseball 4:09pm via Twitter Web Client
END 3: #UConn 2, UMass 2
Minutemen tie it up but @RajkowskiDan works out of a bases-loaded, one-out jam with back-to-back Ks. #HookC

I tuned in too late for this game to hear the Rossomando news, so thanks. Yes, I would think with Nepiarsky pitching today that Zapata will go tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Aside from facing a couple batters in the last game against Cincinnati, Darras hasn't seen much action lately. He seems to be making up for it today.

Reaction Score
PJ Poulin now in to pitch. A lot was expected of him at the beginning of the season, but it didn't work out as planned.

Reaction Score
My bad then, wasn't listening to game did not realize that Rossomondo was out. Guess I would be looking for Zapata and Neiparsky to start these games, but then again Nepiarsky has been less then stellar himself.

Reaction Score
My bad then, wasn't listening to game did not realize that Rossomondo was out. Guess I would be looking for Zapata and Neiparsky to start these games, but then again Nepiarsky has been less then stellar himself.

Nepiarsky was the first guy out of the pen today. He allowed two batters to get on, and out he came.

Reaction Score
Hideous loss. No other way to look at it. Nine runs to a team that was 7-17...

Reaction Score
Hideous loss indeed. The Rossomando injury turned the pitching into a staff day, which is always dicy. I was hoping the hitters could dig the Huskies out of the hole, but no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom