UConn trio highlights Midseason Wooden list | The Boneyard

UConn trio highlights Midseason Wooden list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier, Kia Nurse, and Katie Lou Samuelson named to the top 25 mid season Wooden Award list. Surprised Gabby did not make the list, though I guess when UConn is the only team with more then two, there isn't much to complain about :)

List includes:G Lindsay Allen, Notre Dame; C/F Kristine Anigwe, California; C/F Jordin Canada, UCLA; G Alaina Coates, South Carolina; C Nia Coffey, Northwestern; F Napheesa Collier, Connecticut; F Nina Davis, Baylor; F Asia Durr, Louisville; G Makayla Epps, Kentucky; G Rebecca Greenwell, Duke; G Jessica January, DePaul; G Alexis Jones, Baylor; G Brionna Jones, Maryland; C Erica McCall, Stanford; F Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State; G Kia Nurse, Connecticut; G Alexis Peterson, Syracuse; G Kelsey Plum, Washington; G Leticia Romero, Florida State; G Katie Lou Samuelson, Connecticut; G/F Brianna Turner, Notre Dame; F Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State; G Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Maryland; G Sydney Wiese, Oregon State; G A'ja Wilson, South Carolina

LINK HERE

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's a good list, but I don't agree with the omission of Chantel Osahor. To average 13.7 rebounds a game is simply ridiculous. Plus she is scoring 15.6 per game and her passing is outstanding (more than 4 assists pg).

Frankly I would pick Osahor before Turner.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It's a good list, but I don't agree with the omission of Chantel Osahor. To average 13.7 rebounds a game is simply ridiculous. Plus she is scoring 15.6 per game and her passing is outstanding (more than 4 assists pg).

and 15 others before Turner starting with Gabby.

Plebe

Reaction Score
No love for Lexie Brown

When I saw Greenwell in the list but no Lexie Brown, I wondered to myself which of the two I would consider more valuable. Tough call. Without checking their stats, it's my impression that Greenwell is scoring more but I feel that Lexie's presence on the team is somehow more impactful.

You must have missed the memo that says that if you're not a top 6 team, you can't have more than one selection to the midseason list.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

She's also shooting a high percentage, including from the arc.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
When I saw Greenwell in the list but no Lexie Brown, I wondered to myself which of the two I would consider more valuable. Tough call. Without checking their stats, it's my impression that Greenwell is scoring more but I feel that Lexie's presence on the team is somehow more impactful.

You must have missed the memo that says that if you're not a top 6 team, you can't have more than one selection to the midseason list.

Its pretty close as to who is more valuable for Duke. I think Brown is actually leading now...... she's definitely been trending up.....until the FSU game. Greenwell's scoring is down, while Browns is up. I think its 17.8 for Greewell... and maybe 17.4 for Brown. I think Brown averages about 3.5 assists. 3.5 rebounds, and maybe 3.5 steals.... or something close. Greenwell is over 6 rebounds a game (good for a guard)..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Brionna Jones of MD did not make the Mid-season list and she took it out on Penn State tonight by dropping 42.
MD only beat PSU by 6.

Reaction Score
Gabby belongs on this list and any other lists of best players in the country this season! Her "problem" is that her scoring is somewhat low in comparison to the players on the list but I can imagine anyone who actually watches the UConn games not including her...

Reaction Score
Gabby belongs on this list and any other lists of best players in the country this season! Her "problem" is that her scoring is somewhat low in comparison to the players on the list but I can imagine anyone who actually watches the UConn games not including her...

You can find a few "big name" players on that list scoring less than or about the same as Gabby, like Lindsay Allen, Nina Davis, so I don't know the reason for Gabby not to be included on the list.

Reaction Score
You can find a few "big name" players on that list scoring less than or about the same as Gabby, like Lindsay Allen, Nina Davis, so I don't know the reason for Gabby not to be included on the list.
Same reason that Turner is considered POY candidate (1 of 4) by CBS Sports

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
and 15 others before Turner starting with Gabby.
Actually Gabby deserves to be on the list instead of Kia. Kia is a very good player but not a transcendental player that warrants a POY. There are plenty of names on this list that are nice but not great. Honestly, it's Kelsey Plum's to lose.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Word nerd alert: Here's an off-topic point for my fellow curmudgeons.

The ESPN article says: "The Wooden Midseason Top 25 list was revealed Wednesday, and while it included three underclassmen from top-ranked and unbeaten UConn -- Napheesa Collier, Kia Nurse and Katie Lou Samuelson -- the group also featured 14 seniors."

I had always thought that "upperclassmen" referred to seniors and juniors and that "underclassmen" referred to freshmen and sophomores. So I would not have thought that Kia Nurse was still an underclassman. My handy dictionary confirms my understanding of "upperclassman" and also defines "underclassman" as a student who is not a senior.

Gee whiz, that's news to me. So a junior is at once an underclassman AND an upperclassman?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So glad to see Anigwe getting some love. She was a beast last year and has not missed a beat this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Word nerd alert: Here's an off-topic point for my fellow curmudgeons.

The ESPN article says: "The Wooden Midseason Top 25 list was revealed Wednesday, and while it included three underclassmen from top-ranked and unbeaten UConn -- Napheesa Collier, Kia Nurse and Katie Lou Samuelson -- the group also featured 14 seniors."

I had always thought that "upperclassmen" referred to seniors and juniors and that "underclassmen" referred to freshmen and sophomores. So I would not have thought that Kia Nurse was still an underclassman. My handy dictionary confirms my understanding of "upperclassman" and also defines "underclassman" as a student who is not a senior.

Gee whiz, that's news to me. So a junior is at once an underclassman AND an upperclassman?
Underclass is below the senior class, Upperclass is above a sophomore or more than half way through a standard collegiate career. They are not strictly 'complementary' words defining the whole student body between them.

Plebe

Reaction Score
A question for those who feel Gabby should've been included in this list: Would you have been less upset if Gabby were included but not Kia?

Just something I'm curious about.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I would've included Gabby before Kia... If we're being honest, Gabby's progression (along with Samuelson's and Collier's) as a player is one of the biggest reason's UConn has been able to keep winning games.

Kia isn't really doing impressive or anything that she hasn't done before. Gabby is playing like the best player on the floor most nights...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom