OT: - UCONN top ten best in college athletics | The Boneyard

OT: UCONN top ten best in college athletics

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Here's a link for those interested on reading up on the history of UCONN athletics. When I first began my time in grad school I remember the signs on 84 as you approached the exits for the university, 'Home of NCAA champion Field Hockey'. I was a year out of college having spent a short stint living and working in south Jersey and Geno was an unknown twenty-something year old somewhere in Philly. We've followed different trajectories over the intervening years!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you believe this , I have a bridge to sell you. An accurate evaluation is the Capital one cup where points are awarded for national ranking in every men's and women's sports. Currently , Uconn's mens teams are not ranked in the top 35 and the women's teams are ranked #20 in total pt accumulation. For comparison, the University of Texas at Austin, where I live, is ranked #1 in men's programs, and #2 in women's.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you believe this , I have a bridge to sell you. An accurate evaluation is the Capital one cup where points are awarded for national ranking in every men's and women's sports. Currently , Uconn's mens teams are not ranked in the top 35 and the women's teams are ranked #20 in total pt accumulation. For comparison, the University of Texas at Austin, where I live, is ranked #1 in men's programs, and #2 in women's.
It’s different criteria. Read the article

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yes, although their criteria are, like any ranking, undoubtedly a bit arbitrary, but nothing in the top 25 seems odd, and most schools you would expect to see are there. The inclusion of North Dakota State in the top 25 is telling - just read a bunch of articles about them in the local paper, as Arizona plays them tonight. Apparently, athletics there approaches a religion, they are expecting 10000 of their fans here in Tucson tonight.

Arizona is 40th, although still rated "A+". A factor is probably the fact that, certainly historically, men's basketball is really everything. There has been great success in Softball, Natty's in baseball and golf, women's soccer is doing very well these days, etc. But I don't think the student fan support is present for much except men's basketball, based on what I've seen. At football games students have historically baled at half time, regardless of the score.

Even Rutgers scored well, I have heard that student interest is up as RU has had some success in select sports. They ranked "A".

Reaction Score
I did read the article. I also researched their academic rankings which they include in their bogus formula. U Conn is ranked 53rd as a public university by them , are near the bottom in athletic dept. revenue and play in 2 conferences, one of which is a joke. This makes their rankings even more laughable, as many schools advertise with them on the listing pages in all categories.

Reaction Score
Here's a link for those interested on reading up on the history of UCONN athletics. When I first began my time in grad school I remember the signs on 84 as you approached the exits for the university, 'Home of NCAA champion Field Hockey'. I was a year out of college having spent a short stint living and working in south Jersey and Geno was an unknown twenty-something year old somewhere in Philly. We've followed different trajectories over the intervening years!
Thank you for this extraordinary post's link. I read it all. I knew some of their records, but the ones from the past way back were very enlighting and interesting. Thank you again.

Reaction Score
What stood out from all the statistics was the statistic that from 1993 to 2017 UCONN's record was 865 wins and only 58 losses in womens basketball. I don't believe there is another another team in men's or women's basketball that can match that. All the knowledgeable pundits on the Bone yard please verify my statement as I don't have the expertise to do so. Thank you.

Reaction Score
Or looking at it another way just shy of 94% win percentage over 23 seasons. Can't imagine any other basketball program is close to that type of excellence over a nearly two and a half decade run. We are a really lucky fan base to have witnessed all those great teams composed of scores of wonderful young women both on and off the court. This years' squad has the talent, depth and hunger to write yet another chapter in that storied history, let's call it #12!

Reaction Score

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I did read the article. I also researched their academic rankings which they include in their bogus formula. U Conn is ranked 53rd as a public university by them , are near the bottom in athletic dept. revenue and play in 2 conferences, one of which is a joke. This makes their rankings even more laughable, as many schools advertise with them on the listing pages in all categories.
So you are saying, essentially, “I don’t care what the study actually says. I disagree with it.”

OK, duly noted.

Reaction Score
This site has UConn as #4 in the most successful college athletics-programs. I guess because the women basketball program.

"With a remarkable 11 NCAA championship titles to their name, the University of Connecticut’s women’s basketball team has dominated the varsity sport for much of the past 25 years."

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I continue to wonder about your interest in UConn, seeing that you hold it in such disregard

Reaction Score
My interest is in U Conn women's basketball only. Now you don't have to continue to wonder.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine how great the ranking would be if the came to their senses about football?

Reaction Score
I continue to wonder about your interest in UConn, seeing that you hold it in such disregard
I totally agree with you Husky Nan. I don't pay much attention to polls or rankings. They are just one way to back up posters opinions and biases. I enjoy them from a biased opinion of my own when they are in the top of the poll. What I feel and respect is their total dominance of women's basketball over the past 27 years as their achievements speak for themselves. I was the greatest fan of Derek Jeter, shortstop for the NY Yankees. The pundits did more carping on his defensive abilities than he deserved. but to me , he was the greatest Shortstop ever. My opinion. Going back when UCONN was winning games by 40 or more points ,the naysayers slung slurs about being bad for women's BB. The UCONN women made women's basketball what it is today, a healthy and dominant part of our culture. GO HUSKIES!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom