UConn to Turn Prison on Depot Campus into Classrooms/Offices | The Boneyard

UConn to Turn Prison on Depot Campus into Classrooms/Offices

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
http://wnpr.org/post/uconn-develop-former-prison-classroom-and-lab-space#stream/0

This is brilliant. Many have said for a while the land at depot campus can be developed and utilized by UConn to further enhance the profile of the University, and this is definitely a step in the right direction. The idea of developing a "secondary" type campus near the main campus also isn't unique to UConn, as I know the University of Nebraska has done something similar for their agriculture courses and intramural fields- placing them at "East Campus" and the remaining buildings staying on the "main" campus.

Depot is wide open for the most part. Would love to see roads widened to 2 or 3 lanes each and a large development of that area. Can only be beneficial to UConn.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Also I didn't catch this the first time I read through the article, but an interesting quote about future development at the depot campus site:

"Bergin Prison offers a relatively clean slate for development, officials said, comparing it to the Depot Campus across the street. That complex contains the remains of the old Mansfield Training School acquired by UConn in the 1990s. Many buildings there are decrepit and unsafe for use. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, which officials described as posing an obstacle to development"

So maybe depot campus can't be developed after all? If not thats really unfortunate for the future of the University. Would be great for a second research park.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Depot Campus is slated for conversion to Farmland as a compensation for the loss of Ag school land to the Tech Park.

Sometimes you just can't take the cow out of cow college.

Reaction Score
Depot Campus is slated for conversion to Farmland as a compensation for the loss of Ag school land to the Tech Park.

Source for this?

Reaction Score

The tech park is being build between Charter Oak Apartments and Route 44. That land is just woods now. It will be part of north campus and isn't near east campus where the Ag school operates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom