UConn to start a series with Seton Hall | The Boneyard

UConn to start a series with Seton Hall

Reaction Score
Nice to see what was a perennial doormat getting serious about its WCBB. I remember back in the Big East days, SHU as just terrible.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think it's nice to revive and renew a home & home series with members of the old BIG East Conference. It has a bit of nostalgia to it. :)

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What makes you think Seton Hall is serious? In conference 4-14 last season. Agnes is gone, but the spirit lives on.

A season in review: Seton Hall Athletics

Nothing I'd sign the Huskies up for, but I guess I'm missing something.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What makes you think Seton Hall is serious? In conference 4-14 last season. Agnes is gone, but the spirit lives on.

I agree, what are we missing here? Someone on staff, a USA hoop connection, something else needs to be occurring. No Jersey girls on the team and East Orange ain't exactly a great destination...Buehler? Buehler? Anyone? Anyone?

Reaction Score

Agnes Beranato was at Pitt. In the early does of the BE SHU and PC were the dominant forces. Then Miami when they came in.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised at this announcement as well. I guess SH gets to test themselves against the best, but I'm not sure what the Huskies get out of the matchup, other than a couple more one-sided victories, which they have more than enough of in the AAC.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Think Seton Hall's coach Anthony Bozello is friends with Geno. I know he recommended Natalie Butler to UConn after coaching against her in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Tony Bozzella has done a pretty good job at Seton Hall, this year's record non-withstanding.
In his 1st 3 years, the team won 20+ games each season. The last time the Pirates did that was 78-81. The also made back to back NCAAs.

Also, as a paisan, wouldn't surprise me if he were friendly with Geno.

It's a short/cheap road game for UConn, which it needs. And NJ usually has some good players, so a good place to be visiting.

Reaction Score
Think Seton Hall's coach Anthony Bozello is friends with Geno. I know he recommended Natalie Butler to UConn after coaching against her in the Big East.
I thought it was Doug Bruno of Depaul that recommended Natalie to Geno.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Outstanding. The wife was a student there in the 60s... Still roots for them. I guess we'll have to take the games in; she in her Pirates vest and me in my UConn hat!!!

Reaction Score
Why? Just another common cupcake! There is no upside and the Big East is long gone.

Reaction Score
Why? Just another common cupcake! There is no upside and the Big East is long gone.
I think that the SHU home game will be moved to the Meadowlands Arena (cap. @19,000). In the absence of a game at MSG, this could be a big event for NJ/NY alums. Just a thought...

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Following the thoughts of Vowelguy, and with apologies in advance to our Rutgers' friends, I was thinking that perhaps Geno wants to make some inroads into New Jersey recruiting and put a dent in Vivian's dyanmo Scarlet Knights program.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think that the SHU home game will be moved to the Meadowlands Arena (cap. @19,000). In the absence of a game at MSG, this could be a big event for NJ/NY alums. Just a thought...
It would be fantastic if they could draw that kind of crowd for WBB in NJ, but I think it would be a bit of a stretch vs Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
I would doubt that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I didnt know the Meadowlands was still open

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I agree, what are we missing here? Someone on staff, a USA hoop connection, something else needs to be occurring. No Jersey girls on the team and East Orange ain't exactly a great destination...Buehler? Buehler? Anyone? Anyone?

Seton Hall is in South Orange. Big difference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's a (very) driveable game. No complaints here.

Reaction Score

Hey............it's South Orange NJ not East Orange NJ..........big difference believe me...............

Reaction Score

I don't think the Meadowlands/Izod arena is open any more.........most likely they would play at the Prudential Center in Newark................

Reaction Score
There are a bunch of 2019/20/21 NJ girls that Geno should be interested in................add to that a few other NYC area players and scheduling Seton Hall will certainly be helpful....................

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't think the Meadowlands/Izod arena is open any more....most likely they would play at the Prudential Center in Newark......
It is an interesting possibility. I'm sure the Seton Hall Men play there (Newark), they used to play in the Meadowlands. I thought that the Seton Hall women did play some kind of double-header in the late days of the BE, but I'm not up on them now. RU has been playing them, as you would expect - and yes, they have been generally good since Bozella got there. One of their fans posted on the RU board (early in the season) that they were going to have an off year this year, due to injuries and youth, supposedly.

That said, they are unlikely to challenge you guys. But there isn't any reason to think they won't be respectable. Just hope you don't play them in Walsh.

Reaction Score
Does UConn really need to play Seton Hall? Seems we could find a more interesting and challenging opponent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom