UCONN to new Big East | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UCONN to new Big East

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why so little interest in going to FCS in football? UConn could be excellent, and there are very good FCS teams within a couple of hours from Storrs.
Villanova is again the model here. National Championship MBB program and a very good FCS football program that won its own national championship in 2009. Football plays in the CAA, with all other Nova teams in the BE.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wikipedia: In college football, the term Power Five conferences refers to five athletic conferences whose members are part of the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) of NCAA Division I, the highest level of collegiate football in the United States. The conferences are the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), Big Ten Conference (B1G), Big 12 Conference, Pac-12 Conference, and Southeastern Conference (SEC). The term "Power Five" is not defined by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and the origin of the term is unknown. It has been used in its current meaning since at least 2006.

"Power 5" as such has no meaning for any sport other than football.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A grant of rights is a clause that turns over a school's media rights to its conference. Under such a clause the conference would have the rights to broadcast the school's home games for the duration of the contract. These clauses have been used to protect conferences (and broadcast partners) from schools being poached by other (higher paying) conferences. I think the current ACC media deal contains a grant of rights clause.

The new AAC deal does not have such a clause but I believe there is a clause that allows ESPN to renegotiate the contract if a school were to leave the conference. I'm sure the ESPN+ business model assumed a lot of UConn content. Watch this space as they say.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What exactly does this mean?
A “grant of rights” agreement is what was being considered by the AAC with their new ESPN contract. Essentially, every school would have granted the conference their rights to negotiate an agreement on their behalf binding them with the conference for the term of the media agreement. In UConn’s case, this probably also allows the Huskies to negotiate a separate media agreement with SNY.

This would not be unique to UConn. TX has the Longhorn Network and, as discussed, ND football has a separate agreement with NBC.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A grant of rights is separate from controlling third-tier media rights. The new AAC deal did not have a grant of rights clause but did provide for third-tier games to be streamed exclusively on ESPN+. It was the latter that would have ended the SNY deal.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Did Geno coach BE Commissioner, Val Ackerman, at Virginia?

She graduated in 1981 and he was there about that time.

Reaction Score
Villanova is again the model here. National Championship MBB program and a very good FCS football program that won its own national championship in 2009. Football plays in the CAA, with all other Nova teams in the BE.
football back to the Yankee Conference

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
football back to the Yankee Conference
You do realize that the Yankee Conference was dissolved in 1997, with many of its remaining members joining the CAA?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When you have the time and patience:

"It’s a decision that caught many by surprise, but also brought out plenty of excitement. Courant sports columnist Mike Anthony, reporter Alex Putterman and sports editor Dan Brechlin sat down to discuss the impact the deal is expected to have on the basketball programs, the football program, the athletic department’s financial situation and more."

Podcast: UConn Insider podcast: The Huskies head home to the Big East

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ah, Geno was there at the Board Meeting. Called in at the last minute from his part time lawn mower repair business:

Reaction Score
Personally, as long as we're going retro conference-wise, I wish we could bring back the old Jonathan logo. I think the new one looks more like a wolf than a Husky. View attachment 44257
I agree. This husky looks nice like you could pet him. The current one looks like it would tear off your arm if you tried to do that.

Reaction Score
I agree. This husky looks nice like you could pet him. The current one looks like it would tear off your arm if you tried to do that.
When I retired from Connecticut to N.Carolina I purchased the OLD Husky logo for my front license plate (N.Carolina only has a back plate), I despise the new logo !!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So Mr. Old technology gets to link the press conference 4 plus hours later? You bunch would not survive a day in Geno boot camp.

Reaction Score
Why so little interest in going to FCS in football? UConn could be excellent, and there are very good FCS teams within a couple of hours from Storrs.

There is a reason lots of teams are moving FCS -> FBS, but almost no one has done the reverse. In fact the only example I can think is Idaho which did so reluctantly after its first conference (WAC) dissolved (and its 2nd FB conference the Sun Belt ended its affiliate agreement with the school), and it had no other options.

Also, once you've gone big time, it's hard to go back -- students, fans don't see you the same.

Reaction Score
"Power 5" as such has no meaning for any sport other than football.

P5 is short-hand for the strongest, richest conferences.

In the next decade, P5 schools are expected to earn $300-$500 million in revenue _each_. Non-P5 schools will earn <$20 million.

It also has long been speculated that there will be a group of schools that will eventually break away from the NCAA. Though this idea predates the "p5," folks now think that if it does happen it would be the P5 that does so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom