UConn to face St. John’s at Madison Square Garden in February, after all | The Boneyard

UConn to face St. John’s at Madison Square Garden in February, after all

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone thought this wasn't going to be the case.

Release of the full schedule must be right around corner.

UConn’s road matchup against St. John’s will again be played at Madison Square Garden this upcoming season, according to college basketball insider Jon Rothstein, who reported that the game will be held on Sunday, Feb. 23. Rothstein also reported that UConn’s home game in the series will take place on Friday, Feb. 7.

Alternate access:
UConn to face St. John’s at Madison Square Garden in February, after all

Reaction Score
Take that, Pitino!

Reaction Score
I'm hoping we'll represent like we always do. But my guess is that the st.johns fan base will come out for this one. They're finally relevant and it's us, and people want to beat us. I think st. Johns will end up being our syracuse for as long as we're in this beautiful conference.

Reaction Score
MSG is known to all Husky basketball fans as "Storrs South". Hence, for all intents and purposes, it is a Home Game!
I’m well aware but I didn’t think McLovin was joking.

Reaction Score
As if there was any other option. Little Ricky can whine all he wants when we take over the building, but his employer understands this think called economics......
Exactly. No shot that game ever moves from MSG.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I don't know how the original Big East ever let St John's get away with the on campus facility that they built (Now Carnesecca Arena) which only held a little over 4,000 at the time of its building. In the meantime we were building Gampel which held around 10,000. I thought they were supposed to be Gampel size at the time.

???????????

Reaction Score
I don't know how the original Big East ever let St John's get away with the on campus facility that they built (Now Carnesecca Arena) which only held a little over 4,000 at the time of its building. In the meantime we were building Gampel which held around 10,000. I thought they were supposed to be Gampel size at the time.

???????????
SJU's tiny arena was built WAY before the BE... 1961.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
SJU's tiny arena was built WAY before the BE... 1961.
Right. I guess it was the renovation in 2004 from 4000 to 5600 I was thinking of. Still wondered why they didn't have to bring it up to BE standards but they have a very small campus and perhaps it was not feasible. The renovation of $30 million for 1600 fans? They had very good teams for a long time and maybe they expected to play a lot of games at the Garden vs this bandbox.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

???????????
"Carnesecca Arena (formerly Alumni Hall) is a 5,602-seat multi-purpose arena in the borough of Queens in New York City, New York. It was built in 1961 and renamed in honor of Hall of Fame Coach Lou Carnesecca on November 23, 2004.[2] It is the exclusive home to the St. John's University Red Storm women's basketball team, and also, along with Madison Square Garden, hosts home Red Storm men's basketball games. The building hosted first-round games of the NCAA men's basketball tournament from 1970 to 1974. Up until March 2014, it was the most recent New York City venue to host 1st round games of the NCAA Tournament."

MJ1

Reaction Score
It's as easy to take public transportation from UConn (Stamford branch) to MSG than from the St. John's campus!
You are correct about but remember St. John’s is a huge commuter university, most people will go to a night or weekend game from home and not from St. John’s campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom