UConn to B1G-ESPN vs. Big Ten Network? | The Boneyard

UConn to B1G-ESPN vs. Big Ten Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A thought just occurred to me: Could a UConn move to the Big Ten (for which I say a novena every week) be affected by any possible resistance from ESPN to UConn games being televised by the Big Ten Network or does it make any difference? I know that this may be obvious but Bristol does wield a fairly big stick in TV sports circles. This may not be important but the WBB Huskies' game this season against Penn State was not carried by SNY or any of the many ESPN incarnations but rather by the Big Ten Network (because of State, of course). I know nothing about exclusive rights to games or who has the upper hand in covering games but would a UConn move out of the AAC harm or hurt ESPN (and to a lesser degree, SNY) or would it make any difference? Thanks.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the Big Ten decides they want UConn they make one call and have them.

ESPN will have plenty of Big Ten rights most likely long into the future, so UConn leaving the AAC wouldn't hurt them really. UConn's women's games are a rounding error in the big scheme of things. ESPN would probably end up better off with UConn in the ACC/Big 10 ratings wise because staying in the AAC too long is going to kill the viewership anyway.

Home teams own the television rights - that is why a game at Penn State was on BTN.

Reaction Score
A thought just occurred to me: Could a UConn move to the Big Ten (for which I say a novena every week) be affected by any possible resistance from ESPN to UConn games being televised by the Big Ten Network or does it make any difference? I know that this may be obvious but Bristol does wield a fairly big stick in TV sports circles. This may not be important but the WBB Huskies' game this season against Penn State was not carried by SNY or any of the many ESPN incarnations but rather by the Big Ten Network (because of State, of course). I know nothing about exclusive rights to games or who has the upper hand in covering games but would a UConn move out of the AAC harm or hurt ESPN (and to a lesser degree, SNY) or would it make any difference? Thanks.
ESPN is the devil and the taxpayers of CT are supporting it. They could have lobbied UConn into the ACC but apparently did nothing.

Reaction Score
ESPN is the devil and the taxpayers of CT are supporting it. They could have lobbied UConn into the ACC but apparently did nothing.

Been saying that for years now. The sooner our legislature recognizes this and starts playing hard ball the better. The "Chris Bermans" seemed to have forgotten that at one time they were nobodies and had to scratch and claw their way into a better situation. And they had help. As residents of Connecticut, they should have exerted all their influence to make sure the Huskies found a home in a P5 conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom