UConn -- The Stud Factor Revisited | The Boneyard

UConn -- The Stud Factor Revisited

Reaction Score
Several times, in pre-season assessments, I posted the idea that there is individual potential on this team that, if developed fully, would knock into a cocked hat all projections of starting lineups and likely rotations. I labeled it the "stud factor."

Maybe it's time to revisit the concept. The potential "studs" that come immediately to mind are Jackson, Hawkins and Akok. I had included Sanogo in this group, but I now think that Adama has shown us his stuff. I think, before he was playing injured, he had pretty much realized his stud potential -- and it's pretty darn impressive.

What waits to be realized is the potential of the other three -- and therein lies the near-unlimited possibilities for this season. What do we get from Jackson. Hawkins and Akok going forward? More precisely, what are we likely to get based on their development so far -- a development that, I submit to you, has been nothing short of exciting.

Much, much, has been posted here of AJ's strengths and weaknesses. But, game by game, he has enhanced his strengths and limited his weaknesses. His defensive rebounding instincts are uncanny -- he is always where the ball is -- and he has reined in his passing genius to accommodate the mere-human abilities of his teammates. His shot is still a work in progress, so he has limited his shooting. He is not clunking 3-pointers that the opposition turns into fast-breaks. He is looking more for the drive to the basket. It boggles the mind what such raw athleticism might achieve attached to a mind clearly open to coaching.

Hawkins was an unknown quantity until he unleashed visions of Ray Allen in his fluidity against cream puff opponents. And then there was the Auburn performance to hang our hats on. But then came 13 straight missed 3-point attempts. And the kid was sulking. Oh, dear, such a sensitive fellow. Would the kid ever dare to take another 3-pointer? Duh, yes. And, duh, yes again. And, duh, guess what, yes. Does anyone doubt that anything but confidence stands between this kid and greatness? And, after yesterday, does anyone doubt the confidence?

And Akok -- the graceful, happy, lovable Akok! Who was it (was it me?) who observed pre-season that this guy came to UConn as, whaddya know, a 3-point shooter who could block a shot? And, well, duh, whaddya know! Do you suppose, after just one game with decent minutes, we've seen it all? I submit that we have seen, with Akok, a mere preview, as we have seen with all three of these guys.

I submit, in sum, that the stud factor is emerging as the story of this season. Oh, yes, the story will be punctuated by the bull-doggedness of Martin, the defensive adroitness of Whaley and the timely sharp-shooting of Polley -- but if there's a post-season miracle awaiting, these will be only bonuses -- the miracle will come from the "stud factor" -- a factor driven by the ever-developing leadership of R.J.. Cole, which is a whole other story...

Reaction Score
Well said.

1639356098161.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon