UConn/Temple & UConn/FIU Football Series Announced | The Boneyard

UConn/Temple & UConn/FIU Football Series Announced

Reaction Score

The Owls’ non-conference schedule is filled through the 2023 season:
  • 2020 – at Miami (Sept. 5), Idaho (Sept. 12), Rutgers (Sept. 19), at UMass (Oct. 10)
  • 2021 – at Rutgers (Sept. 4), at Akron (Sept. 11), Boston College (Sept. 18), Wagner (Sept. 25)
  • 2022 – at Duke (Sept. 3), Lafayette (Sept. 10), Rutgers (Sept. 17), UMass (Sept. 24)
  • 2023 – Akron (Sept. 2), at Rutgers (Sept. 9), Norfolk State (Sept. 16), Miami (Sept. 23)
  • 2024 – at Oklahoma (Aug. 31), Coastal Carolina (Sept 14), at UConn (Oct. 5)
  • 2025 – at UMass (Aug. 30), Oklahoma (Sept. 13), at Georgia Tech (Sept. 20)
  • 2026 – Rhode Island (Sept. 5), Penn State (Sept. 12), at Coastal Carolina (Sept. 19), UConn (Oct. 10)
  • 2027 – at UConn (Sept. 4), at Penn State (Sept. 18), UMass (Oct. 9)
  • 2028 – at Oklahoma (Sept. 2), Duke (Sept. 16), UConn (Sept. 30)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Tip my hat to myself - I done pretty good with my wild guesses.

Now lets see what they have cooked up to get us to Texas. I'm leaning towards a H&H with Houston tied to MBB (we promised three BB games). Rice would make some sense as well and of course SMU puts us in Dallas where we are recruiting the most.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of the death of UConn football are greatly exaggerated. I recall the angst of many fans, myself included, when it was announced that we would be independent. But Benedict and his team are doing a good job of putting together an appealing schedule -- more appealing, to me at least, than playing in the AAC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There is no reason that UConn wouldn't want to play Temple every year. There are very few opponents we can get drivable games with and getting to the level where Temple is has to be the intermediate term goal.
Of course, but there were many who questioned whether the AAC schools would pick up the phone over the bitter break up.

Reaction Score
Of course, but there were many who questioned whether the AAC schools would pick up the phone over the bitter break up.

I'm confused. We didn't want to be in the AAC. Why would anyone be particularly concerned about whether USF wants to play us or not. (And by the way -- given that we signed with FIU the answer may be "not".)

Playing Temple is good and playing Navy would be good, both for obvious geographic reasons (although Navy will be tough given that they are locked in to OOC games every year with Notre Dame, Army and Air Force).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm confused. We didn't want to be in the AAC. Why would anyone be particularly concerned about whether USF wants to play us or not. (And by the way -- given that we signed with FIU the answer may be "not".)

Playing Temple is good and playing Navy would be good, both for obvious geographic reasons (although Navy will be tough given that they are locked in to OOC games every year with Notre Dame, Army and Air Force).

We want to play all the northeast FBS schools - every one of them. And we want to play in TX and FL too for recruiting. Now, in some of those markets the best available opportunities are AAC schools and some have questioned if we could get any thing done getting select AAC foes back on our football schedule. The four game series with Temple is a nice start.

Reaction Score
UConn still has three openings on the 2021 schedule and that is going to take some more wheeling and dealing. There are currently 5 aways (Fresno, Army, UMass, Clemson, and UCF) and 4 homes (Holy Cross, Purdue, MTSU, and Wyoming). So there is a need for 1 away and 2 home games. One glaring opportunity is TCU which still has an opening in 2021. TCU already has 6 home games scheduled in 2021 and could be interested in a 1 for 2 with UConn. A UConn home game in 2021 and then Uconn goes to Texas for 2 away games in future years which given the recruiting geography would not be a bad deal. Houston also has an opening for a home OOC in 2021. Getting a 6th home game at the Rent is going to be interesting.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UConn still has three openings on the 2021 schedule and that is going to take some more wheeling and dealing. There are currently 5 aways (Fresno, Army, UMass, Clemson, and UCF) and 4 homes (Holy Cross, Purdue, MTSU, and Wyoming). So there is a need for 1 away and 2 home games. One glaring opportunity is TCU which still has an opening in 2021. TCU already has 6 home games scheduled in 2021 and could be interested in a 1 for 2 with UConn. A UConn home game in 2021 and then Uconn goes to Texas for 2 away games in future years which given the recruiting geography would not be a bad deal. Houston also has an opening for a home OOC in 2021. Getting a 6th home game at the Rent is going to be interesting.

Thing is about TCU is that they already have SMU and Cal booked, so normally they fill that third and final sport with an FCS program. We would need to convince TCU to play us rather than FCS in 2021.. Maybe.

Elsewhere, SMU has one open FBS slot in 2022 and two in 2023 in their schedule. Would they do a H&H? I have trouble envisioning these TX schools coming this far north in the return.

Reaction Score
Temple is a good get. Nice regional opponent. Not going to bring lots of visiting fans but we have some history. FIU is kind of eh but I suppose no worse than Middle Tennessee.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
So there is a need for 1 away and 2 home games... Getting a 6th home game at the Rent is going to be interesting.

Benedict mentioned before that we may have to have 5 home games once or twice in the first couple of years before we can balance out our schedule consistently. Would not be shocked if 2021 is 5 home games.

Reaction Score
Benedict mentioned before that we may have to have 5 home games once or twice in the first couple of years before we can balance out our schedule consistently. Would not be shocked if 2021 is 5 home games.
That may be the case. Army and UMass are two easy drives on the away schedule so a die hard fan could still get in 7 games without being on a plane.

Reaction Score
I would look for us to do another break up with an ACC team and CUSA or Sunbelt. Maybe we get s MAC or someone come here

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Tulane and Tulsa were the only two schools I never cared about playing in the AAC. ECU was close but I know they can be decent and when they are good get 50k in the stands.

Temple, Navy, Cincy, USF, UCF, SMU, Houston and Memphis were all fine for me on the schedule. And I wouldn't mind playing 2-3 of them each season. They were easy flights to get in and out and good cities to enjoy for a night or two.

FIU and FAU are good teams to have on the schedule too going forward.

Reaction Score

Not sure that Holy Cross game is happening in 2021. It was not listed on today's press release from UCONN, which contained the future schedules as assembled to date.

Also, this was on the UConn Blog in December: "The Huskies also had a game with Holy Cross scheduled for Sep. 2, 2021 but the two schools are in discussions to move that to another date, according to a UConn spokesperson."

Not sure if they are looking at another date in 2021, or another date in a different year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not sure that Holy Cross game is happening in 2021. It was not listed on today's press release from UCONN, which contained the future schedules as assembled to date.

Also, this was on the UConn Blog in December: "The Huskies also had a game with Holy Cross scheduled for Sep. 2, 2021 but the two schools are in discussions to move that to another date, according to a UConn spokesperson."

Not sure if they are looking at another date in 2021, or another date in a different year.
Yep, but of course scheduling FCS is the easiest task and last piece of the puzzle. Most FCS schools can play us just about any day we need them. In the end could be Holy Cross, but if not, shouldnt be hard to find someone else.

Reaction Score

Temple would love to join us in the Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom