UConn survives a challenge from UCF and looks forward to Indiana in the round of 16. | The Boneyard

UConn survives a challenge from UCF and looks forward to Indiana in the round of 16.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“You know, sometimes we forget that basketball is a game that involves a lot of contact,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said after the No. 2-seeded Huskies’ 52-47 win over No. 7 UCF in the second round of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament. “Each game, there’s the difference in what constitutes contact and how much contact, what kind of contact.

Reaction Score
Eh. If the Washington Post complaining about game locations can get puffed up, I don't see a losing coach on the receiving end of that alleged "unfairness" complaining about it being out of line.

Obviously having to beat UConn in Gampel is a tall order, the fact of the matter is that UCF had history with UConn, so their chances of winning that game were probably about as good as any team that isn't in the top 10.

Reaction Score
Eh. If the Washington Post complaining about game locations can get puffed up, I don't see a losing coach on the receiving end of that alleged "unfairness" complaining about it being out of line.

Obviously having to beat UConn in Gampel is a tall order, the fact of the matter is that UCF had history with UConn, so their chances of winning that game were probably about as good as any team that isn't in the top 10.
If the UCF coach or any other coach for that matter goes in with that type of mindset, you are not going to win. UCF's problem was, they could not make free throws. Make free throws, they win the game. Don't blame the location, the officials, the weather, or some other excuse. Make free throws, get stops, and make your shots.

Reaction Score
Coach Abe complained about having to take her team to Storrs, even though she conceded they were prepared at least as well as any other visitor to play on that court. She started out with an end-around on that same theme, complaining that the committee had matched UCF against another Florida school, which somehow should have entitled UCF to another venue. But she indicated she would have been just as disappointed had UCF been sent to Iowa City, in her old conference. Hey coach, a #7 doesn't get to pick and choose.
To her credit, she didn't take the twice-offered bait from a hometown reporter about UConn getting away with flopping.
She also implied that because UCF outplayed UConn on the floor (35%/50% to 30%/33%), the game was somehow taken away from her at the foul line. Well, when your game plan is rough & tumble, you're going to hear a lot of whistles. And if her gals had done better than 10-for-20 from the line, maybe they would have won.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Yeah, but it’s not like UConn is the only team to get afforded this advantage. All the higher seeded teams play the first two games at home. Regarding whether it’s unseemly for the losing coach to wine about it, we can agree to disagree.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have refrained from commenting on the game because for years I have been disgusted by the UCF coach. I just hope the game didn't through of UConn's confidence and their game going forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom