UConn: Still The Standard of Greatness | The Boneyard

UConn: Still The Standard of Greatness

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Thanks for the link. Good reading. It's amazing that people like Shaughnessy write what they do without the slightest bit of research. I say that with confidence because if he DID do a little bit of research, he would see that what he states is incorrect. Of course, we Husky fans know better. Unfortunately, those who read his drivel and do not know better, believe what he writes and probably form inaccurate conclusion. Makes you wonder how much during his career, he has written without fact &/or proper research. I'm glad he doesn't write for the newsprint that I read daily. Of course, there's no guarantee that the writers I do read, know what their talking about either. It's probably all FAKE NEWS!!!!!!???????

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sherri Coale is a fan too.

On the notion the Connecticut is bad for women’s basketball:

“Oh, the question that just keeps reinventing itself. As Connecticut went on their streak and that conversation seemed to be at every coffee shop and every talk radio in the world, my staunch stance was ‘No.’ Because Joe Smith who has no relation to women’s basketball and no desire to every watch women’s basketball is going to pay attention to this because it’s a streak that’s unheard of. So you get all of these, our sport gets a window, an opening into a world of people who otherwise would not even hear a conversation about it. There’s just enough ‘Oh, let me see what’s going on here’ And then what we do with that moment when they say, ‘Let me see what’s going on here’ is up to us.

“But they gave us an opening as a sport. And I still think excellence is magnetic. I don’t buy the argument that it’s bad for the game. Watch them play. They play in a better, more efficient than a number of the best men’s teams in the country. Excellence is hard not to watch. We’re all drawn to it. Whether it’s a great singer on American Idol, or a great movie, great actors. You’re drawn to great stuff. Excellence is a magnet, so I don’t think it’s bad for women’s basketball.”

“For women’s basketball, I think it’s a mistake to try to be like the men. I think there have been times in the evolution of our game where we have tilted toward that. We have tried to be men’s basketball. We will never be men’s basketball. I don’t care how many players are able to dunk, it’s not going to be the same. And I think it’s a mistake for us to try be in their image. The game as it was created for men, however long ago (James) Naismith put the peach basket up, it’s about spacing and movement and passing and this very artistic, intelligent game, skilled game, played below the rim. And women can do that in a beautiful way. Connecticut is a perfect example of that.

OU coach Sherri Coale on women's basketball: "It’s a mistake to try to be like the men"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom