21 DePaul 10-2 204
22 Texas 8-2 162
23 North Carolina 7-2 114
24 Nebraska 10-1 110
25 Vanderbilt 10-1 103

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
I hate to say it but UCONN should be #3. If you lose you should drop one spot at least. Just like Notre Dame. That's just the nature of the polls. We can make the argument about how close the game was and no one else stood up to Baylor like we did, but we lost the game. The #2 spot can rightfully be settled each time UCONN and ND play one another.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it but UCONN should be #3. If you lose you should drop one spot at least. Just like Notre Dame. That's just the nature of the polls. We can make the argument about how close the game was and no one else stood up to Baylor like we did, but we lost the game. The #2 spot can rightfully be settled each time UCONN and ND play one another.

Last night the two best teams in the country played and #1 beat #2 by 5 points. The voters got it right, UCONN should not have dropped!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We had Baylor down by 11--their largest deficit of the season--at Baylor and also led within the last 5 minutes. No one has played Baylor as tough. I also doubt if anyone else has beaten two top 10 teams by 12 and 30. I think the ranking of 2 is appropriate.

I also think the top 3 are clustered, with perhaps a larger gap between 3 and 4 than between 1 and 2 or between 2 and 3.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i hear what you are saying. however, ND lost by 13 at Baylor and UCONN lost by 5. additionally, ND beat Duke by 2 a bit ago. i realize it makes little difference as UCONN and ND could face each other 3 times this year, but i don't disagree with the rankings as they are.

the question is do you drop a team for a close loss AT Baylor, or do you rank them according to who you think is better? based on performances against common opponents, UCONN is better.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think UConn is fairly ranked at this point, but it's not even worth sweating one way or another. UConn-ND will be settled on the court. Hopefully not four times.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think UConn is fairly ranked at this point, but it's not even worth sweating one way or another. UConn-ND will be settled on the court. Hopefully not four times.

Amen!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So, which team should be #2?

ND is 10-1 (loss to Baylor)
Stanford is 7-1 (loss to UConn)
Tenn is 7-2 (loss to Baylor & Virginia)
Miami is 9-1 (forgot who they lost to)
Kentucky is 10-1 (loss to ND)
Duke is 7-2 (loss to ND & Kentucky)
Texas A&M is 8-2 (loss to UConn & Purdue)

Should Maryland, at 11-0, be #2? The only team of note they've played is Georgetown back on Nov. 12.

Reaction Score
I agree with the rankings. Let's see if they hold true in March and April.

blaqtech

Reaction Score
i hear what you are saying. however, ND lost by 13 at Baylor and UCONN lost by 5. additionally, ND beat Duke by 2 a bit ago. i realize it makes little difference as UCONN and ND could face each other 3 times this year, but i don't disagree with the rankings as they are.

the question is do you drop a team for a close loss AT Baylor, or do you rank them according to who you think is better? based on performances against common opponents, UCONN is better.
Last night the two best teams in the country played and #1 beat #2 by 5 points. The voters got it right, UCONN should not have dropped!

I agree the best two teams played and it was a close game. But, to stay consistent UCONN should move down one spot. If this is just about ranking the better team ahead of the others then the top 25 needs adjusting from #5 on down.

blaqtech

Reaction Score
So, which team should be #2?

ND is 10-1 (loss to Baylor)
Stanford is 7-1 (loss to UConn)
Tenn is 7-2 (loss to Baylor & Virginia)
Miami is 9-1 (forgot who they lost to)
Kentucky is 10-1 (loss to ND)
Duke is 7-2 (loss to ND & Kentucky)
Texas A&M is 8-2 (loss to UConn & Purdue)

Should Maryland, at 11-0, be #2? The only team of note they've played is Georgetown back on Nov. 12.

Notre Dame moves up to #2.
I don't think Notre Dame is better than UCONN.
It's just based on the loss, UCONN should move out of the #2 spot.(unless the people below you lose also)

Reaction Score
It's just based on the loss, UCONN should move out of the #2 spot.(unless the people below you lose also)

And how do you rationalize ND at #2? UCONN & ND both lost to Baylor in Waco. UCONN proved to be a much better adversary and a made a game of it. So why should ND be ranked higher than UCONN?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think voters dropped ND not necessarily because they lost, but because they lost in a way that, in voters' minds, caused them to fail the eyeball test, as in, this just didn't look like the #2 team in their eyes, whereas UConn passed that same eyeball test. But in any case, it's really not much of an issue. It's a December poll, and UConn-ND will play itself out on the court. Plural times.

Reaction Score
I think voters dropped ND not necessarily because they lost, but because they lost in a way that, in voters' minds, caused them to fail the eyeball test, as in, this just didn't look like the #2 team in their eyes, whereas UConn passed that same eyeball test. But in any case, it's really not much of an issue. It's a December poll, and UConn-ND will play itself out on the court. Plural times.
Exactly right, Alex. I read today that UConn was "expecting to drop in the polls" but I thought, who are we going to drop behind? The poll is just discussion fodder at this point, anyway.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And how do you rationalize ND at #2? UCONN & ND both lost to Baylor in Waco. UCONN proved to be a much better adversary and a made a game of it. So why should ND be ranked higher than UCONN?

I would have UCONN at #2.... but you could factor in that ND beat top 10 Duke on a neutral court... a top 7 Kentucky team.. and a top 25 Purdue team.... whereas UCONN has beaten Stanford at home... and TAMU at home.

blaqtech

Reaction Score

Just like in the vast majority of sports polls, when you lose you drop down and when you win you move up. This is my only point! I love UCONN just like everyone on this forum. I find it amazing everyone is on this "quality of loss" thing. If this is going to be the "standard" for teams moving up ,down or staying put then it should be reflected throughout the poll not just a great game between Baylor and UCONN. Make it fair for every team in the entire polling system. If not, how do you justify it for UCONN?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I highly doubt either UConn or ND care one way or the other who is #2 and who is #3 at this point in the season.

Reaction Score

I absolutely cannot stand when people vote this way. Voting should be based on who you think is first best, second best, etc. But this "lose=move down, win=move up" philosophy never ever will make sense to me.

If someone thinks ND is better, I have no problem with them at #2. But the argument "I think UConn is better, but they lost more recently" defies any kind of logic to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom