UCOnn stats...why isn't the 6'5" center tops in rebounding... | The Boneyard

UCOnn stats...why isn't the 6'5" center tops in rebounding...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Megan 2019.jpg

UConn has an up and coming 6'5" center who is starting to dominate play at both ends of the court. But, she doesn't lead the team in rebounding, for now... The Huskies also have a diminutive point guard who currently ranks 12th all-time at UConn in assists and has a chance to replace Sue Bird in 5th place on that list. But, she doesn't lead the team in assists. Both the rebounding and assist leader is Megan Walker, who has remade her body and refined her game. Consider:

1. Rebounding - Megan leads Olivia 99-94 for total rebounds. Her defensive rebounding edge is even more startling at 86-52.
2. Assists - Walker has a team-leading 34 assists vs 31 for Crystal, who is just 74 assists from replacing Sue Bird in 5th place all-time. (Crystal has 2 less games.)
3. Points - Megan's 216 points in the first 10 games gives her a sweet 21.6 points per game average. If she keeps that average, it would be the 3rd highest total ever at UConn.
4. 3 point shooting - Megan has quietly raised her three-point accuracy to 47% on 22-47 shooting. That ties Crystal for the most made threes on the team.
5. Free throws - Megan gets fouled more than any other player (35) and has made more free throws than anyone else (26). Overall, that is 74.3%.
6. Minutes played - Walker has logged 375 minutes of court action, more than any player. Her 37.5 per game average means she rests only 2.5 minutes per game.

Last season, Napheesa Collier averaged 20.8 points & 10.8 rebounds per game for an entire season and ended up an All-American. Through just 10 games, Collier had 189 points, 36 assists, and 79 baskets. Megan's averages are at 21.6 ppg and 9.9 rpg. She has 216 points, 34 assists, and 84 baskets in the first 10 games. Lots of games still to play, but maybe Geno is right, the #1 player on the #1 team is playing like an All-American. The rest of the season should be fun..!!

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meg has been a unexpected (and welcome!) surprise. I think we all expected her to be better this year, but if anyone says they expected her to be THIS good, they are lying. And as good as she has been, she still has room to improve. She can make more of her layups, and improve her shot selection. She takes too many off balance shots... when she squares up on balance, she is lethal!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I know that your question was a rhetorical one, but I suspect that our opponents take a high percentage of their shots beyond the arc. Those long bombs tend to carom away from the goal and are perhaps out of reach of Liv, even though she is 6' 5". ????

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I know that your question was a rhetorical one, but I suspect that our opponents take a high percentage of their shots beyond the arc. Those long bombs tend to carom away from the goal and are perhaps out of reach of Liv, even though she is 6' 5". ????
Actually Liv tends to get boxed out a lot and often has to out leap her opponents to get rebounds. This requires good timing and reading the ball off the rim well.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that the reason why Meg is currently out rebounding Liv is because many of those missed shots are due to Liv's presence in the paint had forced the bad shots and that Meg was the recipient of the shots bounces off the rim or backboard.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Don’t forget that Liv sat out 16 minutes of the first half of the Seton Hall game.

Reaction Score
So, so happy for Megan. Coming in with her high school ranking in Hoopgurlz I believe she was more than a little overwhelmed. Sometimes people need that little extra amount of time to make the correct adjustments. It appears that she has done this and, hopefully, will continue her climb.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I believe that the reason why Meg is currently out rebounding Liv is because many of those missed shots are due to Liv's presence in the paint had forced the bad shots and that Meg was the recipient of the shots bounces off the rim or backboard.

Also, when you're trying to block a shot, you're not often in position to get a rebound. Thus Liv's huge edge in offensive rebounding and Meg's edge in defensive rebounding. It's working pretty well from my viewpoint.

Megan's season is not surprising me at all. I said before the season began that she had a shot to average 20-10. I'm really curious to see her against the three top-ten opponents.

Reaction Score
View attachment 49447

UConn has an up and coming 6'5" center who is starting to dominate play at both ends of the court. But, she doesn't lead the team in rebounding. The Huskies also have a diminutive point guard who currently ranks 12th all-time at UConn in assists and has a chance to replace Sue Bird in 5th place on that list. But, she doesn't lead the team in assists. Both the rebounding and assist leader is Megan Walker, who has remade her body and refined her game. Consider:

1. Rebounding - Megan leads Olivia 99-94 for total rebounds. Her defensive rebounding edge is even more startling at 86-52.
2. Assists - Walker has a team-leading 34 assists vs 31 for Crystal, who is just 74 assists from replacing Sue Bird in 5th place all-time.
3. Points - Megan's 216 points in the first 10 games gives her a sweet 21.6 points per game average. If she keeps that average, it would be the 3rd highest total ever at UConn.
4. 3 point shooting - Megan has quietly raised her three-point accuracy to 47% on 22-47 shooting. That ties Crystal for the most made threes on the team.
5. Free throws - Megan gets fouled more than any other player (35) and has made more free throws than anyone else (26). Overall, that is 74.3%.
6. Minutes played - Walker has logged 375 minutes of court action, more than any player. Her 37.5 per game average means she rests only 2.5 minutes per game.

Last season, Napheesa Collier averaged 20.8 points & 10.8 rebounds per game for an entire season and ended up an All-American. Through just 10 games, Collier had 189 points, 36 assists, and 79 baskets. Megan's averages are at 21.6 ppg and 9.9 rpg. She has 216 points, 34 assists, and 84 baskets in the first 10 games. Lots of games still to play, but maybe Geno is right, the #1 player on the #1 team is playing like an All-American. The rest of the season should be fun..!!

Go Huskies..!!
Super great David, GREAT. Remember that for the much of the past 2 years WHO was Megan's mentor, teacher, guide---Napheesa (Precious) Collier. Is it any wonder Megan is emulating her Mentor this year? For much of last year Collier made it her duty (and pleasure) to instruct Megan. I'm thrilled it worked so well.

2 Teasons Olivia Nelson Ododa isn't leading the rebounding. 1. She is scoring more 2. She is being pushed and triple teamed away from the basket. When she is close in she is a (Napheesa was called) "a ball magnet".

Reaction Score
Actually Liv tends to get boxed out a lot and often has to out leap her opponents to get rebounds. This requires good timing and reading the ball off the rim well.
Olivia in time shall be come the Women's game Bill Russell!! I agree @JordyG . Yet, as a new Soph in Div 1 she is EXTREMELY good at snagging rebounds. I watched the Tx/Stan game they have good BIGS but I think Olivia can/will out rebound and out score them.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I underestimated how well Meg would perform to this point in the season. She's been FAB.

I also overestimated where CWilliams would be at this point, possibly putting a bit too much stock in Lou's comment that Christyn was capable of "taking over the game"....but of course the season ain't over yet :cool:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Fake news! Bogus stats again, spun to support an opinion. If you want to compare individual player stats then PT has to be part of the equation.

Reaction Score
View attachment 49447

UConn has an up and coming 6'5" center who is starting to dominate play at both ends of the court. But, she doesn't lead the team in rebounding. The Huskies also have a diminutive point guard who currently ranks 12th all-time at UConn in assists and has a chance to replace Sue Bird in 5th place on that list. But, she doesn't lead the team in assists. Both the rebounding and assist leader is Megan Walker, who has remade her body and refined her game. Consider:

2. Assists - Walker has a team-leading 34 assists vs 31 for Crystal, who is just 74 assists from replacing Sue Bird in 5th place all-time.

Go Huskies..!!
A missed 3 pt shot deflects far from the basket and there are a lot more 3 pt attempts these days. Plus I think UConn opponents take even more 3s because they believe hitting 3s is there only option to stay close.... Hence more options for players a little farther out....

Reaction Score
View attachment 49447

Go Huskies..!!
I also see a lot where Liv is the primary defender attempting to block or alter a shot and then Meg is on the weak side behind her waiting for the rebound.

Reaction Score
Meg has been a unexpected (and welcome!) surprise. I think we all expected her to be better this year, but if anyone says they expected her to be THIS good, they are lying. And as good as she has been, she still has room to improve. She can make more of her layups, and improve her shot selection. She takes too many off balance shots... when she squares up on balance, she is lethal!

Reaction Score
Star players take most of the big shots and many of the end of the shot clock shots. We want Megan to take more shots than anyone even if it means a couple are forced.

Reaction Score
Star players take most of the big shots and many of the end of the shot clock shots. We want Megan to take more shots than anyone even if it means a couple are forced.
many of her off balance shots are early in the shot clock.... I love the way Meg is playing, but pointing out how she might improve is valid...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom