UConn stats...what's wrong with the defense..? | The Boneyard

UConn stats...what's wrong with the defense..?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
bench.jpeg

Spoiler alert, it's a trick question. :cool: Through 8 games, UConn's defense has given up 491 points. That comes out to 61.4 points per game. Considering the Huskies are scoring 87.8 points per game, their 8-0 record makes sense. But the 61.4 ppg compares unfavorably to the previous three years. Consider:

2016-17 Opponents avg = 54.9 ppg
2015-16 Opponents avg = 48.3 ppg (Stewie, MoJeff senior year)
2014-15 Opponents avg = 48.6 ppg

Two obvious observations. First, the first 8 games this year were against very tough opponents. The lighter AAC schedule is starting now and opponent points per game will undoubtedly come down. It is not really fair to compare 8 games to a whole season, especially when the competition will fall off a bit. :rolleyes:

Second, it is important to figure out when the difference in points per game is being scored. For example, UConn has given up 102 first period points or 12.75 per game. Last season, that average was 11.86 per and two years ago it was 11.65 per. So basically, a point or less versus previous years. ;)

That brings us to the 4th period. :eek: The 164 points opponents have scored comes out to 20.4 per game. Last season, and the year before, that average was 14.2 and 13.8, respectively. So, almost the whole difference in points per game scoring is occurring in the last 10 minutes of the games. No doubt that improves as well.

So there is nothing wrong with this season's defense. They are blending Z and Crystal in with the core four, holding ranked teams well below their average points and watching from the bench in the 4th period when opponents try to make things respectable. (see above picture) :)

Go Huskies..!!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
View attachment 26968

So there is nothing wrong with this season's defense. They are blending Z and Crystal in with the core four, holding ranked teams well below their average points and watching from the bench in the 4th period when opponents try to make things respectable. (see above picture) :)

Go Huskies..!!
Maybe but then again maybe not. Z, while a superb offensive player hasn't quite meshed yet (note the operative words "meshed yet") with the strong defense the other 5 play. As she is not in the game for the bulk of the first period (nor is she in during the 4th for the most part), I do have my concerns on her footwork and knowledge on how UConn performs it's switching. She is getting better but not where Geno feels it's Championship caliber yet. The fourth quarter is about how our subs simply are not up to the task. I find that a tad disconcerting considering they are the 2 who have been in the program and 4 who were highly heralded coming out of HS. Batouly is on a "hall pass" for the moment.
All that said, the schedule has been very strong and other than their struggles against ND for 3 periods, they look like the makings of a strong (compared to other UConn teams) team. I think we all see the room for improvement as a group and maybe have had our expectations sky high when compared to what last year's group accomplished. This is still a phenomenal team.

Reaction Score
View attachment 26968

Spoiler alert, it's a trick question. :cool: Through 8 games, UConn's defense has given up 491 points. That comes out to 61.4 points per game. Considering the Huskies are scoring 87.8 points per game, their 8-0 record makes sense. But the 61.4 ppg compares unfavorably to the previous three years. Consider:

Two obvious observations. First, the first 8 games this year were against very tough opponents. The lighter AAC schedule is starting now and opponent points per game will undoubtedly come down. It is not really fair to compare 8 games to a whole season, especially when the competition will fall off a bit. :rolleyes:

Second, it is important to figure out when the difference in points per game is being scored. For example, UConn has given up 102 first period points or 12.75 per game. Last season, that average was 11.86 per and two years ago it was 11.65 per. So basically, a point or less versus previous years. ;)

That brings us to the 4th period. :eek: The 164 points opponents have scored comes out to 20.4 per game. Last season, and the year before, that average was 14.2 and 13.8, respectively. So, almost the whole difference in points per game scoring is occurring in the last 10 minutes of the games. No doubt that improves as well.

Go Huskies..!!

One other stat I would like you to inject into our conversation: In the past 2 seasons --what was the minutes mix of starter to bench warmers and what is that mix this year so far. I suggest, just an observation, the minutes for bench players is more this season so far--just a guess.

As always David--love your mix of verbs and stats.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
As noted, the defense in the fourth quarter in most games, long after the outcome has been settled, has skewed the numbers. Example: Depaul, where 101-51 suddenly became 103-69.

The number that stands out to me is 9 - which is what Notre Dame scored in the fourth quarter. So the defense, not very good through three quarters, was there the one time thus far when it absolutely had to be, even though we were without Gabby and Lou.

Reaction Score
Freshman typically have a lot to learn about defense. Can you think of A UConn freshman who was a lock-down defender their first year? I can't. As for those in the program, they have a long way to go. A long way.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why you still Compare it when you already knew it was not a fair comparison!
View attachment 26968

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
Thanks again for the sound analysis.....there is absolutely nothing wrong with the defense of the starters and Z/Meg. We are giving up slightly more points in the first three quarters from last year and ,IMO, its due somewhat to the level of competition but also, without mentioning names, we are turning the ball over more than the last couple years and that will lead to more points against.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I don’t understand why you still Compare it when you already knew it was not a fair comparison!
Two reasons:
1. I'm just trying to present boring stats in an interesting way. ;)
2. There are a few on this board that truly believe there is something wrong with the defense this season.
3. I love to argue with myself.

Hey, why did you say two reasons and then list three....? :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom