UConn stats...what went right, when it seemed all wrong... | The Boneyard

UConn stats...what went right, when it seemed all wrong...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn vs USA.jpg

The last 5 minutes of the Baylor game has lingered in the minds of UConn fans like a bad fish smell in the refrigerator. Negative feelings about the team surfaced in post-game discussions for the whole month of January. Kyla shouldn't start, Christyn can't shoot, Megan turns the ball over too much, Crystal shouldn't play point, Liv is weak at center, etc... All opinions are welcome, but sometimes, so are statistics. Consider:

1. Kyla has started 15 games and remains the best (most accurate) 3 point shooter, for the season. Her 13-26 is 50% and tops Megan in 2nd (43.6%) Inside the arc she is 9-13 or 69.2%. Her 38 assists and 20 turnovers give her an Assist/Turnover ratio of 1.9 and her 10 personal fouls are lowest on the team except for Evelyn Adebayo.
2. Christyn is 23-76 from 3 point range for 30.3% accuracy. On Notre Dame, that would lead the team. (True) ;) Inside the arc, she is a 57% shooter. (99-174)
3. Megan has 60 assists and 54 turnovers. As an offset to the turnovers, she has 56 made free throws, 41 threes, 26 steals and 373 points. Fair trade-off.
4. Crystal leads the Huskies with 68 assists and only 32 turnovers. (2.13 a/t ratio) She is averaging a career-high 15.2 points per game. Her 38 steals lead the team. The point is where she belongs.
5. Since the Baylor loss, the defense is giving up only 46.6 points a game while scoring 78 per game. In those six games, the offense has scored 90+ points three times. In the prior 13 games, UConn surpassed the 90 point level only twice. Seems like things are getting better, not worse.
6. Olivia is averaging 10.9 points per game, has 69 blocked shots and makes 51.2% of her shots inside the arc. She has 48 fouls in 19 games (2.5 per). She is tied for the team lead in rebounds with 168 (8.8 per game). She has more assists (48) than turnovers (47) and 23 steals. By the way, she is a sophomore. :cool:
7. The freshman, Anna & Aubrey, are coming on strong. Anna's 34 made threes and 43% accuracy are 3rd best on the team. Her 46 assists include the pass of the year. Aubrey is instant energy and leads the bench with 120 points, 86 rebounds and 27 steals.
8. By far the most encouraging stats are UConn's balance in scoring, assists and rebounding. Points per game are 19.6 (Meg), 16.0 (Squeaks), 15.2 (Crystal), 10.9 (Liv) and Anna/Aubrey averaging 13.3 combined. The top six assist leaders are at 68, 60, 49, 48, 46 and 38. Very unselfish group. Rebounding has Meg & Liv tied at 168, Christyn at 101, and Anna/Aubrey coming on with 86 & 79. Balance is hard to stop.

In my opinion, the glass is half full and the water level is rising. Tests against Oregon (Feb. 3rd) and South Carolina (Feb. 10th) will confirm the improvement since Baylor, or not. Either way, the NCAA tournament is still months away and the Huskies have time to get even better.

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
View attachment 50371

The last 5 minutes of the Baylor game has lingered in the minds of UConn fans like a bad fish smell in the refrigerator. Negative feelings about the team surfaced in post-game discussions for the whole month of January. Kyla shouldn't start, Christyn can't shoot, Megan turns the ball over too much, Crystal shouldn't play point, Liv is weak at center, etc... All opinions are welcome, but sometimes, so are statistics. Consider:

1. Kyla has started 15 games and remains the best 3 point shooter, for the season. Her 13-26 is 50% and tops Megan in 2nd (43.6%) Inside the arc she is 9-13 or 69.2%. Her 38 assists and 20 turnovers give her an Assist/Turnover ratio of 1.9 and her 10 personal fouls are lowest on the team except for Evelyn Adebayo.
2. Christyn is 23-76 from 3 point range for 30.3% accuracy. On Notre Dame, that would lead the team. ;) Inside the arc, she is a 57% shooter. (99-174)
3. Megan has 60 assists and 54 turnovers. As an offset to the turnovers, she has 56 made free throws, 41 threes, 26 steals and 373 points. Fair trade-off.
4. Crystal leads the Huskies with 68 assists and only 32 turnovers. (2.13 a/t ratio) She is averaging a career-high 15.2 points per game. Her 38 steals lead the team. The point is where she belongs.
5. Since the Baylor loss, the defense is giving up only 46.6 points a game while scoring 78 per game. In those six games, the offense has scored 90+ points three times. In the prior 13 games, UConn surpassed the 90 point level only twice. Seems like things are getting better, not worse.
6. Olivia is averaging 10.9 points per game, has 69 blocked shots and makes 51.2% of her shots inside the arc. She has 48 fouls in 19 games (2.5 per). She is tied for the team lead in rebounds with 168 (8.8 per game). She has more assists (48) than turnovers (47) and 23 steals. By the way, she is a sophomore. :cool:
7. The freshman, Anna & Aubrey, are coming on strong. Anna's 34 made threes and 43% accuracy are 3rd best on the team. Her 46 assists include the pass of the year. Aubrey is instant energy and leads the bench with 120 points, 86 rebounds and 27 steals.
8. By far the most encouraging stats are UConn's balance in scoring, assists and rebounding. Points per game are 19.6 (Meg), 16.0 (Squeaks), 15.2 (Crystal), 10.9 (Liv) and Anna/Aubrey averaging 13.3 combined. The top six assist leaders are at 68, 60, 49, 48, 46 and 38. Very unselfish group. Rebounding has Meg & Liv tied at 168, Christyn at 101, and Anna/Aubrey coming on with 86 & 79. Balance is hard to stop.

In my opinion, the glass is half full and the water level is rising. Tests against Oregon (Feb. 3rd) and South Carolina (Feb. 10th) will confirm the improvement since Baylor, or not. Either way, the NCAA tournament is still months away and the Huskies have time to get even better.

Go Huskies..!!
Darn facts are tricky things. How can oblivious opinions compete? ;)

Reaction Score
The stats with Kayla's are somewhat slanted because she really doesn't shoot enough and she isn't in the game as long as other players. She averages 19.7 minutes a game which is 6th on the team, whereas the top 3 are averaging 35 minutes a game; so of course Kayla's stats will look better. Being 13 for 26 is fine from 3 point land, but when MW has made 41, AM 34 & CD 42 (ave % .424), of which I am more impressed with. And with AM and AG playing better of late, unfortunately, I see Kyla's playing minutes dropping.

Reaction Score
The stats with Kayla's are somewhat slanted because she really doesn't shoot enough and she isn't in the game as long as other players. She averages 19.7 minutes a game which is 6th on the team, whereas the top 3 are averaging 35 minutes a game; so of course Kayla's stats will look better. Being 13 for 26 is fine from 3 point land, but when MW has made 41, AM 34 & CD 42 (ave % .424), of which I am more impressed with. And with AM and AG playing better of late, unfortunately, I see Kyla's playing minutes dropping.
IMHP Kayla will continue to start. Over the years Geno has used a starter as a stalking horse allowing freshmen to calm down relax and see the game unfold before entering the fray.

Reaction Score
I love threads whose main purpose is to critique the honest opinions of other posters. So much better than discussing basketball.

I have no problem accepting the numbers as factual but the interpretation being put to them in order to put as happy a face as possible on the team... not so much.

Season stats are a lot less revealing at this time of the season and going forward into the tournament.

Kyla is a very good spot up 3 pt shooter but in the 3 games against ranked opponents her 3 pt shooting has been 0-4 and her overall shooting has been 0-5. I have always liked her and I don't think she is in the game primarily to shoot or score. She has value. But when I read "Kyla has started 15 games and remains the best 3 point shooter, for the season" I have to ask the poster if they really believe that having the best 3 pt shooting percentage makes her the best 3 pt shooter?

Now I know that some have called me a "Debbie Downer" for making what I think are honest observations of the team. I'll never be the type of fan who waves pom-poms and has only happy things to say. I entered the season accepting that the inexperience and youth of the team would require patience. I also have appreciated the work involved over 30 years to produce the beautiful basketball I have enjoyed watching all these years. But when a player stands flat-footed as a rebounder, expecting balls to just land in their hands I don't ignore it. I can accept that this team isn't as efficient as other years but I have had a problem with what looked sometimes like a slow-motion version of historic UConn basketball. I accepted the missed shots and the missed passes but not the lazy passes and the failures to get back on defense.
I have seen a big improvement in the team's energy since the second half of the Tenn game. Confidence is leading to aggressiveness at both ends. They are setting the pace rather than reacting to their opponents. And frankly, back in November that was what I was hoping to see later in the season.
I also think that rather than the decline of a dynasty, UConn is entering their 3rd golden age. Their best years are ahead of them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Now I know that some have called me a "Debbie Downer" for making what I think are honest observations of the team. But when a player stands flat-footed as a rebounder, expecting balls to just land in their hands I don't ignore it.
I'm not sure you know what that word means.

I have to ask the poster if they really believe that a player stands flat-footed, expecting balls to just land in their hands?

And you're questioning David???? smh.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you know what that word means.

I have to ask the poster if they really believe that a player stands flat-footed, expecting balls to just land in their hands?

And you're questioning David???? smh.

You don't answer my question, you ask another? Sorry but I don't play that game. There have been numerous times I have have watched UConn players get beat to a loose ball because they stood and watched it while the opponent ran to it. I'm not going to search videos to prove my point but they are there for all to see who have eyes. And like I stated there has been improvement in that area.
Now how about recipricating and answering my question; Is a player who goes 0-5 against ranked opponents the "best 3 pt shooter on the team?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You don't answer my question, you ask another? Sorry but I don't play that game. There have been numerous times I have have watched UConn players get beat to a loose ball because they stood and watched it while the opponent ran to it. I'm not going to search videos to prove my point but they are there for all to see who have eyes. And like I stated there has been improvement in that area.
Now how about recipricating and answering my question; Is a player who goes 0-5 against ranked opponents the "best 3 pt shooter on the team?
For the season, statistically, yes. Sorry that's just the way math works. As opposed your wild imagination.[ ]- David said "best (most accurate)"

[ ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
For the season, statistically, yes. Sorry that's just the way math works. As opposed your wild imagination. [ ]- David said "best (most accurate)"

[ ]

[ ]
Unlike the poster to whom you refer I was responding to another's interpretation of stats, not using stats to prove something. His stats were accurate but his comments about those stats were subjective and I disagreed. [ ]
My stat likewise was accurate and you will notice that I drew no conclusions, only asked a question. Your answer to it is yes, but you qualify it with "statistically". How about an overall opinion. Is Irwin who you would want taking the last shot when a 3 is needed? You have always impressed me as an intellegent poster and as such you should agree that shooting % is only a part of determining who is the best shooter. IMO KML was the best 3 point shooter in UConn history because not only did she hit a high % but she was also a volume 3 pt shooter and did it against elite teams. There was no question that she was who I would have wanted shooting that last 3. And I am not holding Irwin up to KML's standard, only using her to make my point.

Last edited by a moderator:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
[ ]
Unlike the poster to whom you refer I was responding to another's interpretation of stats, not using stats to prove something. His stats were accurate but his comments about those stats were subjective and I disagreed. [ ]
My stat likewise was accurate and you will notice that I drew no conclusions, only asked a question. Your answer to it is yes, but you qualify it with "statistically". How about an overall opinion. Is Irwin who you would want taking the last shot when a 3 is needed? You have always impressed me as an intellegent poster and as such you should agree that shooting % is only a part of determining who is the best shooter. IMO KML was the best 3 point shooter in UConn history because not only did she hit a high % but she was also a volume 3 pt shooter and did it against elite teams. There was no question that she was who I would have wanted shooting that last 3. And I am not holding Irwin up to KML's standard, only using her to make my point.
You are being dishonest. (among other things I guess I can't say - but imagine some really derogatory things that would get me in trouble)

David said "Kyla has started 15 games and remains the best (most accurate) 3 point shooter, for the season." David never said he'd pick Irwin to shoot the last shot in a close game. He wasn't comparing her to KML or KLS or Bird. He said she was the best (MOST ACCURATE) 3 point shooter, FOR THE SEASON. All of which is true. Backed up by facts/stats. That is NOT subjective.

Yours however (Irwin rebounds flat-footed expecting the ball to come to her), is very subjective. NOT a stat. And false. Very different.

All David was doing was giving some props to a player, you and others like you ( you know, "fans") have been deriding lately.

Reaction Score
You are being dishonest. (among other things I guess I can't say - but imagine some really derogatory things that would get me in trouble)

David said "Kyla has started 15 games and remains the best (most accurate) 3 point shooter, for the season." David never said he'd pick Irwin to shoot the last shot in a close game. He wasn't comparing her to KML or KLS or Bird. He said she was the best (MOST ACCURATE) 3 point shooter, FOR THE SEASON. All of which is true. Backed up by facts/stats. That is NOT subjective.

Yours however (Irwin rebounds flat-footed expecting the ball to come to her), is very subjective. NOT a stat. And false. Very different.
All David was doing was giving some props to a player, you and others like you ( you know, "fans") have been deriding lately.

"Kyla has started 15 games and remains the best (most accurate) 3 point shooter, for the season."

Here is his original post " Kyla has started 15 games and remains the best 3 point shooter, for the season." That's what I responded to. He edited his original post today at 3:15, after my response and you have quoted his revised post. Who is being disingenuous here?

I have no problem boosting a player. I just feel we have a right to disagree with statistical interpretations used in that effort.

But I have another issue with a comment in your post:
"Yours however (Irwin rebounds flat-footed expecting the ball to come to her), is very subjective. NOT a stat. And false. Very different".

My comment about rebounding was in another area of my post and I made no allusion to any player, especially Irwin. I take exception to this sort of thing (editing my post to suit your purpose). Here's my comment (in context):

I also have appreciated the work involved over 30 years to produce the beautiful basketball I have enjoyed watching all these years. But when a player stands flat-footed as a rebounder, expecting balls to just land in their hands I don't ignore it. I can accept that this team isn't as efficient as other years but I have had a problem with what looked sometimes like a slow-motion version of historic UConn basketball. I accepted the missed shots and the missed passes but not the lazy passes and the failures to get back on defense.

Where in that is any one player mentioned?

I am tired of being lumped into a group and held responsible for every post by everyone you decide belongs in that group. Suggesting that Irwin isn't the best 3 pt shooter on the team is hardly "deriding".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are completely right Bob. I have made the point before and I will make it again. Look at any one of the players who are not being guarded and their percentage is much better. I have watched her shoot for three and a half seasons and during that time I did not once see her attempt a shot while she was being guarded.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Alydar - You complained about my original post being confusing, so I made an edit to help you understand. Now you are complaining about the edit, which made my statement clearer. Please put me on “ignore” so I won’t bother you anymore with my stats. Thank you.

Reaction Score
Alydar - You complained about my original post being confusing, so I made an edit to help you understand. Now you are complaining about the edit, which made my statement clearer. Please put me on “ignore” so I won’t bother you anymore with my stats. Thank you.

I'm not complaining about your edit. It's perfectly OK to clarify what you meant. What I dislike is someone who uses that clarification to attack my post, especially after I saw that they misquoted me elsewhere to try and make the point that I dislike Irwin.

I always read your stats and would never put you on ignore. But Meyers doesn't seem to think I should disagree with the interpretations you put on those stats. My back and forth is with them, not you. Peace.

Reaction Score
For those who would rather discuss basketball stats and their limitations rather than "this" I suggest this thread:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Our beloved monitors get annoyed
When we show excessive shadenfreude
But I think that even they must lust
To see Muffet's minions bite the dust!

Reaction Score
View attachment 50371

1. Kyla has started 15 games and remains the best (most accurate) 3 point shooter, for the season. Her 13-26 is 50% and tops Megan in 2nd (43.6%) Inside the arc she is 9-13 or 69.2%. Her 38 assists and 20 turnovers give her an Assist/Turnover ratio of 1.9 and her 10 personal fouls are lowest on the team except for Evelyn Adebayo.
2. Christyn is 23-76 from 3 point range for 30.3% accuracy. On Notre Dame, that would lead the team. (True) ;) Inside the arc, she is a 57% shooter. (99-174)

Go Huskies..!!
That is a fine and sobering analysis. And I agree with your conclusion about the water rising, and that time remains for further development. I have a minor question; does Christyn's 57% accuracy number within the arc discount lay-ups? When she is "off-target" with her shooting it usually shows up in 8-10 footers as well. Lay-ups should be in a separate category ,as most players at this level covert those at a really high percentage ( although Aubrey missed 4 or 5 the other night).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom