UConn stats... three point shooting stats that will surprise... | The Boneyard

UConn stats... three point shooting stats that will surprise...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
LOWELL5_2.jpg

Quick quiz... Did UConn shoot better or worse than 35% from the 3 pt arc last season? Interesting answer. As a team, yes, they were 35.6% from beyond the arc. Yet, individually, only 1 player made more than 35% of their threes. (Her initials are PB). Consider these surprising 3 pt. stats from last season:

1. Without Paige, the team 3 pt average was 32.1% (137-427)
2. Paige made 46.4% of her threes last year. (64-138)
3. While Paige made her 64 threes, the rest of the team made 137.
4. The 201 total made threes (in 30 games) was in sharp contrast to previous years.
*2019-20 = 281 threes in 32 games.
*2018-19 = 303 threes in 38 games.
5. UConn's 3 pt defense was superb & equal to previous season. Opponents made 27.2% of their 3s. (Previous four seasons opponents made 27%, 28%, 27% and 28%)
6. Players returning for this coming season made 92.5% of the 201 threes. (Only Anna (15) and Autumn (2) are gone.)
7. Christyn took the most threes (143) and had the 2nd most makes (49). (Evina was 3rd with 40 made threes.)
8. Nika Muhl tied Christyn for the 2nd most accurate shooter at 34.3%. She was 24-70.
9. Only Aaliyah Edwards and Piath Gabriel did not try a single three all season. (Liv and Aubrey were a combined 7-35 or 20%.)
10. The Huskies tried 18.8 threes per game last year. In each of the previous 2 years, they shot 22 per game.

The addition of Azzi Fudd and Caroline Ducharme should improve both three point accuracy and shot distribution. (Paige and Christyn took 50% of last season's threes.) Both are considered superb three point shooters and should reduce opponents ability to focus so intently on Paige. In addition, all the returning three point shooters will have another year of practice and coaching to improve their selection and accuray. Should be fun to watch..!!

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
How do you consider Christyn a superb 3 pt shooter with 49/143 (34%)?
I always consider 33% as average and the minimum for any volume shooter (unless you've got a 46% shooter standing next to you). By my eyeball test, Nika's percentage would have a nice upward arc if grafted out by game. If I remember right, she missed quite a few in the early days but after starting 3 or 4 she became much more efficient.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I always consider 33% as average and the minimum for any volume shooter (unless you've got a 46% shooter standing next to you). By my eyeball test, Nika's percentage would have a nice upward arc if grafted out by game. If I remember right, she missed quite a few in the early days but after starting 3 or 4 she became much more efficient.
Also Nika was playing with some leg issues for the first half of the season according to Geno. He stated that it affected Nika's shot.

Reaction Score
View attachment 69444

Quick quiz... Did UConn shoot better or worse than 35% from the 3 pt arc last season? Interesting answer. As a team, yes, they were 35.6% from beyond the arc. Yet, individually, only 1 player made more than 35% of their threes. (Her initials are PB). Consider these surprising 3 pt. stats from last season:

4. The 201 total made threes (in 30 games) was in sharp contrast to previous years.
5. UConn's 3 pt defense was superb & equal to previous season. Opponents made 27.2% of their 3s. (Previous four seasons opponents made 27%, 28%, 27% and 28%)
6. Players returning for this coming season made 92.5% of the 201 threes. (Only Anna (15) and Autumn (2) are gone.)
7. Christyn took the most threes (143) and had the 2nd most makes (49). (Evina was 3rd with 40 made threes.)
8. Nika Muhl tied Christyn for the 2nd most accurate shooter at 34.3%. She was 24-70.
9. Only Aaliyah Edwards and Piath Gabriel did not try a single three all season. (Liv and Aubrey were a combined 7-35 or 20%.)
10. The Huskies tried 18.8 threes per game last year. In each of the previous 2 years, they shot 22 per game.

The addition of Azzi Fudd and Caroline Ducharme should improve both three point accuracy and shot distribution. (Paige and Christyn took 50% of last season's threes.) Both are considered superb three point shooters and should reduce opponents ability to focus so intently on Paige. In addition, all the returning three point shooters will have another year of practice and coaching to improve their selection and accuray. Should be fun to watch..!!

Go Huskies..!!
Not remotely surprising since a good part of the Uconn offense was setting picks for Bueckers to get open shots. Stats mean nothing without context.

Reaction Score

Paige already shot a lot of three. So there was still a big gap compared with previous years. Luckily Azzi will help to fill the gap. She just showed her shooting talent in fiba. Her corner three was exceptional.
So we may guess who will be the best 3 point shooter this season.
My order Azzi 》Paige 》CD

Reaction Score

Paige already shot a lot of three. So there was still a big gap compared with previous years. Luckily Azzi will help to fill the gap. She just showed her shooting talent in fiba. Her corner three was exceptional.
So we may guess who will be the best 3 point shooter this season.
My order Azzi 》Paige 》CD
I hope you are right and Azzi does shoot the three better than Paige! However, 46 &1/2% shooters are extremely rare, so color me skeptical (but hopeful) on that score. Furthermore, I think it is likely that Paige will actually raise her percentage this season as she will have a lot more help and will not have as many last second, bailout shots as the clock runs down. If Azzi does shoot better than 46% and Caroline Ducharme can shoot anywhere near 40% it’s going to be quite a ride! The weapons Geno has for the next five years are just mind boggling! November can’t come quickly enough for me!

Reaction Score
Not remotely surprising since a good part of the Uconn offense was setting picks for Bueckers to get open shots. Stats mean nothing without context.
Many of Paige's 3 pointers where when the shot clock was running out. While difficult to attach a mathmatical value, it does give more perspective to her outstanding shooting season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
View attachment 69444

Go Huskies..!!

Great stuff David.

In response to one of your excellent preseason posts last October, (UConn stats... new scoring record this year?) I expressed concern about the team's 3-point shooting after the graduation of Crystal and Megan. I said that not knowing what to expect from Paige.

I do expect this year's team to be a better 3-point shooting team. The addition of Azzi and CD will help. I also expect we'll see improved 3-point shooting from Christyn Williams. We can all agree that Christyn turned her season around about halfway through the schedule. Over the the team's last 14 games, including the post-season, Christyn made 42% of her 3-pointers. Hopefully Christyn's improved play (and shooting) will continue throughout her senior season.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I'd say UConn's 3pt defense was "superb." This stat is probably more of a function of many of the poor shooting teams UConn played. A better stat would be how many 3's were contested. My overall recollection was that against many of the better teams, UConn's perimeter defense was lacking - giving up wide-open 3's. UConn's perimeter defense is an area in need of improvement & I'm sure Geno would agree with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom