UConn stats... new scoring record this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn stats... new scoring record this year?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
And success on the defense doesn't have to be press press press either, right?
I love the press, the quickest way to dominate and demoralize an opponent. That said it has it's place in a defensive scheme as well as zone, man or combo's. I say mix it up. Defense is the backbone of most great teams.

Reaction Score
I think it was Bueckers that said she fouled a lot due to the Euro style but I'd let her foul out if she can go 100% for 15-20 minutes and cause a couple of to's and generally torment the opposing pg.

No way no how. She is way too valuable to foul out and play only 15-20 minutes. Her bones are not her defense. Her bones is her passing.
IMO it's hubris to suggest going against elite teams that UCONN would be okay if one of their star players fouls out after only playing 15-20 minutes and feel confident they would be okay. OFC they could still win but that's not the point. **The other elite teams have great players and great coaching too.

Offensive halfcourt execution is also critical. Elite teams will also have plans and great players to counter UCONN's strengths. IMO you don't want to limit the UCONN strength of Paige Buecker's superior combination of passing and scoring abilities. For example - she fouls out-- we only have one legit 3pt shooter (if Paige is also a good shooter). Everyone else other than AMak is a question mark.

You had said Paige is one of the best players on this team in a prior post. Then if she is - it means she can hit 3's then more-than-likely- no way you want her sacrificing her elite minutes on offense to only play 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone will average 20/game. Too many options. But several players will have hot games of 25+. The top UConn teams had several players capable of putting up big numbers which is nice in a one-and-done tournament when your star goes cold. This team has that capability.
With all of the passers this team has I believe that Liv could come close to averaging 20 points a game. Especially if she developed a hook shot over the Summer. The Big East really has very few players that will challenge her, and only a few of the out of conference teams like SC have size that could hamper her.

Reaction Score
No way no how. She is way too valuable to foul out and play only 15-20 minutes. Her bones are not her defense. Her bones is her passing.
IMO it's hubris to suggest going against elite teams that UCONN would be okay if one of their star players fouls out after only playing 15-20 minutes and feel confident they would be okay. OFC they could still win but that's not the point. **The other elite teams have great players and great coaching too.

Offensive halfcourt execution is also critical. Elite teams will also have plans and great players to counter UCONN's strengths. IMO you don't want to limit the UCONN strength of Paige Buecker's superior combination of passing and scoring abilities. For example - she fouls out-- we only have one legit 3pt shooter (if Paige is also a good shooter). Everyone else other than AMak is a question mark.

You had said Paige is one of the best players on this team in a prior post. Then if she is - it means she can hit 3's then more-than-likely- no way you want her sacrificing her elite minutes on offense to only play 15-20 minutes.
Reread his original post. I believe he was referring to Muhl's Euro defense that Bueckers was speaking of. He's saying he'd let Muhl play defense and foul out.

Reaction Score

You miss-read. I was quoting Bueckers talking about Muhl. I don't see Bueckers fouling, it's Muhl that fouls. It's partly her Euro experience where a lot more contact is allowed. And I don't want her fouling, I want aggressive defense. I'm just being realistic. Under normal conditions I see Muhl getting less than 20 minutes.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

I think @Alydar was saying that Paige said Nika Muhl fouled a lot because of her European experience. So the player that might harass would be Nika, not Paige.

Reaction Score
You miss-read. I was quoting Bueckers talking about Muhl. I don't see Bueckers fouling, it's Muhl that fouls. It's partly her Euro experience where a lot more contact is allowed. And I don't want her fouling, I want aggressive defense. I'm just being realistic. Under normal conditions I see Muhl getting less than 20 minutes.

sorry!!

Reaction Score
I love the press, the quickest way to dominate and demoralize an opponent. That said it has it's place in a defensive scheme as well as zone, man or combo's. I say mix it up. Defense is the backbone of most great teams.

I love the press too. Mostly vs the non-elite teams. Many games will be over by halftime or midway through 3rd quarter.

And I strongly believe offensive halfcourt execution is key. Every championship team has had it. Without the ability to run an overall very good halfcourt set - you aren't going to make it.

Reaction Score
I think @Alydar was saying that Paige said Nika Muhl fouled a lot because of her European experience. So the player that might harass would be Nika, not Paige.
If Nika doesn't play smart hard defense and fouls alot. Geno is going to sit her on that hard bench until she smartens up.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno has explicitly stated he has consistently evolved his coaching so that offense is his number one priority. Geno has a deep need to have his team play fluid offensive basketball. Defensive stoppers who cant be part of a sharp and disciplined offense will be defending the bench. Team defense will always be there at the end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom