UConn stats...in defense of Christyn.. | The Boneyard

UConn stats...in defense of Christyn..

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn vs UMass.jpg
No offense to those that think differently, but IMO Christyn is getting a bum rap for playing and shooting at the end of the Villanova game.
Consider stats from the last 6 minutes of the game.

1. Geno determines who is in the game. Nika is hurt, Paige plays enough, Anna is on a minute limit, Evina has a bum knee/ankle and Autumn is a freshman walk-on. Who else can he put out to run the offense with 4 freshman?
2. In those last minutes, the players on the court, not named Christyn, went 0-4 with 3 fouls and 2 turnovers.
3. Christyn made 9 passes in those 6 minutes. She passed to Aubrey, who shot and missed. She passed to Aaliyah, who shot and missed. She passed to Anna, who was fouled and made 2 free throws. She passed to Mir who drove the lane and missed. She was trying to run the offense..!
4. The "shake and bake" two point shot she made was taken with 1 second on the shot clock. One second..!
5. Other than Anna, who made 3-4 free throws, Christyn was the only player to score. Is she not supposed to score?
6. During those minutes, Christyn pulled out of a fast break lay-up and instead ran the offense from the high set.
7. Villanova scored 8 points in the last 6 minutes. Anna and Christyn were the only players to score for UCcon.

Geno put Christyn in to play with the subs. She passed and tried to run the offense. She shot three times, including with 1 second left on the shot clock. All that is what she is supposed to do. Geez... cut her some slack.

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 65450 No offense to those that think differently, but Christyn is getting a bum rap for playing and shooting at the end of the Villanova game.
Consider stats from the last 6 minutes of the game.

1. Geno determines who is in the game. Nika is hurt, Paige plays enough, Anna is on a minute limit, Evina has a bum knee/ankle and Autumn is a freshman walk-on. Who else can he put out to run the offense with 4 freshman?
2. In those last minutes, the players on the court, not named Christyn, went 0-4 with 3 fouls and 2 turnovers.
3. Christyn made 9 passes in those 6 minutes. She passed to Aubrey, who shot and missed. She passed to Aaliyah, who shot and missed. She passed to Anna, who was fouled and made 2 free throws. She passed to Mir who drove the lane and missed. She was trying to run the offense..!
4. The "shake and bake" two point shot she made was taken with 1 second on the shot clock. One second..!
5. Other than Anna, who made 3-4 free throws, Christyn was the only player to score. Is she not supposed to score?
6. During those minutes, Christyn pulled out of a fast break lay-up and instead ran the offense from the high set.
7. Villanova scored 8 points in the last 6 minutes. Anna and Christyn were the only players to score for UCcon.

Geno put Christyn in to play with the subs. She passed and tried to run the offense. She shot three times, including with 1 second left on the shot clock. All that is what she is supposed to do. Geez... cut her some slack.

Go Huskies..!!
Shame on those who criticized her. She is playing great!

Reaction Score
If Geno wants to play Christyn late in the 4th quarter of blow outs, so be it.

As I watched yesterday's game, the reality that the Christyn of last year and early this year has radically changed really sunk in. She is a totally different player. Why? Paige. Paige gets her the ball where she can score time after time after time. Paige takes all the worry of making threes and hunting for shots off her shoulders. Her game right now is outstanding.

Reaction Score
If Geno wants to play Christyn late in the 4th quarter of blow outs, so be it.

As I watched yesterday's game, the reality that the Christyn of last year and early this year has radically changed really sunk in. She is a totally different player. Why? Paige. Paige gets her the ball where she can score time after time after time. Paige takes all the worry of making threes and hunting for shots off her shoulders. Her game right now is outstanding.
Paige takes all the worry of making threes and hunting for shots off her shoulders.
Such an important point. Whenever Paige's attributes are enumerated, this concept should be mentioned. Buckets makes everyone better. But CW's resurrection of late is due in large part to Squeeks own work on the defensive end. Geno has been trying to convince her that if she made D the focus of her efforts, everything else would follow. She listened to her Coach. SI referred to Williams' "stellar defense."
But do not minimize how much Paige means to everyone on the team. W/out her, nothing would be the same.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that an overlooked aspect of Christyn's game is her "wide receiver" role in Paige's Tom Brady emulation mode. When Paige makes court-length passes (you might call them "touchdown passes"), Christyn is almost always the receiver. Often she has to "make a play" to beat her defender and catch the pass in traffic, and she almost always does that.

Christyn isn't big enough to be a Gronkowski wannabe, but maybe she is channeling her inner Edelman.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She's 1st team all-league, I'm not going go crazy because she had a good game. She supposed to have good games. Let's see some great games.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think that an overlooked aspect of Christyn's game is her "wide receiver" role in Paige's Tom Brady emulation mode. When Paige makes court-length passes (you might call them "touchdown passes"), Christyn is almost always the receiver. Often she has to "make a play" to beat her defender and catch the pass in traffic, and she almost always does that.

Christyn isn't big enough to be Gronkowski wannabe, but maybe she is channeling her inner Edelman.
I agree except you had to ruin it for me with the Patriot references.

Reaction Score

Christyn isn't big enough to be Gronkowski wannabe, but maybe she is channeling her inner Edelman.
CW definitely is strong and does have great hands for receiving PB passes. As does AE.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Geno played Christyn late to get her some work at the point. Pretty wise, I think, considering all 3 of his point guards have turned ankles, two of them just this weekend. Gee, maybe Geno knows what he's doing.

Reaction Score

Christyn isn't big enough to be a Gronkowski wannabe, but maybe she is channeling her inner Edelman.
Christyn's 'wide receiver' role in basketball is called cherry picking, leaving her teammates at a 5-on-4 disadvantage on defense. She has perfected the role thanks to the largesse of Paige, Nika and Evina. It is why she is last in assists among the starters, even less assists than Nika of whom she has played 300 more minutes this season. She has no business 'running a team' in the final minutes, as she did against Villanova, other then to 'pad' her stats [which she did]

Reaction Score
Christyn's 'wide receiver' role in basketball is called cherry picking, leaving her teammates at a 5-on-4 disadvantage on defense. She has perfected the role thanks to the largesse of Paige, Nika and Evina. It is why she is last in assists among the starters, even less assists than Nika of whom she has played 300 more minutes this season. She has no business 'running a team' in the final minutes, as she did against Villanova, other then to 'pad' her stats [which she did]
? But, how do you really feel about Christyn?

Reaction Score
And this message in basketball is what we like to call "a hater"

Reaction Score
And this message in basketball is what we like to call "a hater"
Yes I DO hate "selfish play" esp when we're striving for a NC .. I admire "team play" like Paige, Nika, Liv, Ania, AE, Evina et al...

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Okay, my bad. After several weeks of having you on "ignore," I foolishly removed that setting after reading responses to the above post. Too much accusatory sourness in your analyses, especially when you comment on Christyn, who has been a much improved player and teammate in the last few games. Don't bother to reply; I won't see it.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You can bet that Christyn wouldn't be doing that without Geno's approval, and probably as part of his designed transition offense. Kia Nurse did the same thing all the time, also (I'm sure) with Geno's approval.

Neither Kia nor Christyn were/are point guards, and dropping dimes was never a major part of their role. On the other hand, scoring transition baskets (especially when UConn is trying to reduce its reliance on its half-court offense) is a very big part of their role. Scoring in general (as opposed to assisting) IS Christyn's offensive role on this team.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to what is happening behind Christyn when she fires her afterburners in transition, but I suspect that she doesn't do it until it is a near certainty that UConn will control the rebound. There is a science to making reads so that you can do that with only a minimal, calculated risk that you will create a defensive exposure. I will bet that there have been a lot of drills in practice about making those reads so that she doesn't go flying down court too soon, or too late.

Reaction Score
Yup! Consistently too. Last year this brand of hatred was directed at Megan Walker who "allegedly" refused to pass the ball to her teammates as observed from a front row seat.
Yes Megan Walker was a major disappointment too .. very selfish .. I may not like their style of play, but I don't hate anybody .. pls don't put words in my mouth. Thank you!

Reaction Score
You can bet that Christyn wouldn't be doing that without Geno's approval, and probably as part of his designed transition offense. Kia Nurse did the same thing all the time, also (I'm sure) with Geno's approval.

Neither Kia nor Christyn were/are point guards, and dropping dimes was never a major part of their role. On the other hand, scoring transition baskets (especially when UConn is trying to reduce its reliance on its half-court offense) is a very big part of their role. Scoring in general (as opposed to assisting) IS Christyn's offensive role on this team.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to what is happening behind Christyn when she fires her afterburners in transition, but I suspect that she doesn't do it until it is a near certainty that UConn will control the rebound. There is a science to making reads so that you can do that with only a minimal, calculated risk that you will create a defensive exposure. I will bet that there have been a lot of drills in practice about making those reads so that she doesn't go flying down court too soon, or too late.
Some very good points!

Reaction Score
Okay, my bad. After several weeks of having you on "ignore," I foolishly removed that setting after reading responses to the above post. Too much accusatory sourness in your analyses, especially when you comment on Christyn, who has been a much improved player and teammate in the last few games. Don't bother to reply; I won't see it.
Another one of the charter members of my list. They reveal themselves in about 5 or so posts.

Reaction Score
Yes I DO hate "selfish play" esp when we're striving for a NC .. I admire "team play" like Paige, Nika, Liv, Ania, AE, Evina et al...
No you clearly hate on Christyn Williams who has done nothing but pass the ball her entire time at UConn. She could've and probably should've kept the ball her freshman year when she beat Arike and passed to Napheesa in the final four and we all know what happened on that play. Geno wants Christyn to Isolate and score. That's what she's there for.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That is ridiculous. You really have no clue about basketball do you?

You and your tripe are why other boards make fun of the BY.

disappointed the wire GIF

Reaction Score
Christyn's overall game improved when she started focusing on defense and driving to the basket. Because of that her outside shot began to fall and she's become a better all around player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom