Uconn State Of Mind | The Boneyard

Uconn State Of Mind

Reaction Score
I am a die hard UConn Fan for almost 30 years. I decided to join this forum to give my 2 cents. Lstudfellow is on the right path with his observation in my opinion. Coach Jim Calhoun is the Greatest college coach and father figure to his players in opinion. I think most of you are forgetting that the last few years of Coach Calhoun tenure was full of Negative recruiting. Coaches were using his health, age, APR, and the ban against him. I remember vividly having this discussion with Coach Jay Wright about this. We didn't had the same quantity of quality recruits his last few years. Deandre Daniels and Andre Drummond was pure luck. We were hoping Omar Calhoun didn't de-commit. Most of us was wondering then how did we come to settle for a Phil Nolan (no pun intended). Coach Ollie was the best person for the the job following coach Calhoun. Miraculously he won a Chamionship with the roster he had. We are still paying the price for the last few years of the greatest college coach of all time tenure.

Reaction Score
I am a die hard UConn Fan for almost 30 years. I decided to join this forum to give my 2 cents. Lstudfellow is on the right path with his observation in my opinion. Coach Jim Calhoun is the Greatest college coach and father figure to his players in opinion. I think most of you are forgetting that the last few years of Coach Calhoun tenure was full of Negative recruiting. Coaches were using his health, age, APR, and the ban against him. I remember vividly having this discussion with Coach Jay Wright about this. We didn't had the same quantity of quality recruits his last few years. Deandre Daniels and Andre Drummond was pure luck. We were hoping Omar Calhoun didn't de-commit. Most of us was wondering then how did we come to settle for a Phil Nolan (no pun intended). Coach Ollie was the best person for the the job following coach Calhoun. Miraculously he won a Chamionship with the roster he had. We are still paying the price for the last few years of the greatest college coach of all time tenure.
welcome. Don't take negative responses, personally. Lets Go Huskies !

Reaction Score

I re-read that a few times and cant figure out the point you are trying to make. The points you list are true, but they don't support your conclusion.

Lets walk through the argument:

Coaches could negatively recruit against Calhoun for a variety of reasons (true)----therefore we didn't have the same quality recruits (true-i guess)----except those inferior recruits led us to a championship----therefore we are still paying the price for the last few years of the greatest college coach ever (agree) who hasn't been the coach for 5 years now?

Not sure that is a reasonable conclusion to make based on the valid points you laid out.

Reaction Score
I re-read that a few times and cant figure out the point you are trying to make. The points you list are true, but they don't support your conclusion.

Coaches could negatively recruit against Calhoun for a variety of reasons (true)----therefore we didn't have the same quality recruits (true-i guess)----except those inferior recruits led us to a championship----therefore we are still paying the price for the last few years of the greatest college coach ever (agree) who hasn't been the coach for 5 years now?

Not sure that is a reasonable conclusion to make based on the valid points you laid out.
H
Not sure you could classify Daniels and Drummond as "luck"
Ucdaved, Deandre Daniels signed with us without taking a visit following the National championship in 2011. He wasn't heavily recruited by Uconn. I believe he was lock for Kansas by most recruiting experts.
Andre Drummond didn't decide to attend Uconn until the last minute. He was fighting with the idea of going to Prep for another year and guarantee to be the number 1 or 2 pick in the NBA draft or go to college and get exposed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Some folks like to get away,
Take a holiday from the neighborhood
Hop a flight to Miami Beach or to Hollywood
But I'm takin' a Greyhound on the I-91 to I-84 to 195 line
I'm in a UConn state of mind

I've seen all the movie stars in their fancy cars and their limousines
Been high in the Rockies under the evergreens
I know what I'm needin', and I don't want to waste more time

It was so easy livin' day by day
Out of touch with the rhythym and blues
But now I need a little give and take
The Daily Campus, the Husky News

It comes down to reality, and it's fine with me cause I've let it slide
I don't care if it's Carriage House or on Knollwood
I don't have any reasons
I left them all behind
Oh yeah

It was so easy living day by day
Out of touch with the rhythym and blues
But now I need a little give and take
The Daily Campus, the Husky News
Who, oh, oh whoa who

It comes down to reality, and it's fine with me cause I've let it slide
I don't care if it's Willimantic or on Coventry
I don't have any reasons
I left them all behind

I'm just taking a Greyhound on the I-91 to I-84 to 195 line
Cause I'm in a, I'm in a UConn state of mind

Reaction Score

Huskies all day, first let me say I like your name.
The recruits from the championship team of 2014 was Mostly made up of Uconn's 4 th or 5 th option in the recruiting world.
I believe we had Napier reclassified after striking out on

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Daniels wasn't luck. His people placed him here after the 2011 NC.

Reaction Score

Thank you Javjudah, I appreciate your support. I for one am hopeful that after his recent mistakes that Kevin Ollie is in the process of "righting the ship". From his first day back on campus as an Assistant Coach he has come off as a man with a true understanding and belief what it means to be a part of the UConn Husky family and wear that uniform.

Last year was mostly awful, from beginning to end. As the captain of the ship, Coach Ollie does deserve the lion's share of the blame. He also deserves the time and support to get the program back to where we all feel it belongs: consistently battling for conference championships (both regular season and conference tournament) and having a legitimate chance to make significant runs in the NCAA tournament at the end of the majority of seasons.

Reaction Score
Thank you Javjudah, I appreciate your support. I for one am hopeful that after his recent mistakes that Kevin Ollie is in the process of "righting the ship". From his first day back on campus as an Assistant Coach he has come off as a man with a true understanding and belief what it means to be a part of the UConn Husky family and wear that uniform.

Last year was mostly awful, from beginning to end. As the captain of the ship, Coach Ollie does deserve the lion's share of the blame. He also deserves the time and support to get the program back to where we all feel it belongs: consistently battling for conference championships (both regular season and conference tournament) and having a legitimate chance to make significant runs in the NCAA tournament at the end of the majority of seasons.
The recruits from the championship team of 2014 was Mostly made up of UConn's 4 th or 5 th option in the recruiting world.
I believe we had Napier reclassified after striking out on Selby, Knight...
Boatwright decommited from West Virginia
Giffey wasn't a top 100
Kromah came from George Washington as a 5th year senior
Brimah
Nolan
Daniels
Olander
Omar Calhoun who considered decommiting after Calhoun retired
Terrence Samuel
Tolksdorf...
who are we kidding, none of these guys will make a roster at Kentucky or Duke or any of the top programs. Maybe Napier.
What this team had was heart not talent and was well coached.
Many forgot Kevin Ollie was giving a 6 months contract for the 2012-2013 season. This was the biggest blunder as it hurt us even more as no kid will commit to a program without knowing who the coach will be. This killed us with recruiting in 2013 and 2014. Without talent you don't win games and that will not attract top recruits Especially after we were put in the All American conference to play Tulsa, tulane, USF, UCF...

15 minutes agoReport
+ QuoteReply

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So we've got all the excuses down on how we got here.

Why is it they can't recruit now?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't really get this. The past is irrelevant. If anyone truly believes that this is just the post Calhoun hangover, then they really aren't seeing clearly. Our current issues are caused by the APR thing, or Calhoun or anybody except the people in charge now. There is one exception, the conference, which is beyond anyone's control. But I refuse to accept any excuses for why a team that won two titles in the last six years is now in sorry shape.

What I'm interested in hearing is how they plan to fix it. We need to look forward. I remain optimistic that this team has enough talent to make an NCAA bid. But I remain frustrated. We need to start dominating this league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom