UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker | Page 33 | The Boneyard

UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's the second half and the game is close...what time is it?... ....it's Walker time!!!!

The video shows most of Meg's makes. She shot under 40%, but she'll get lots of repetition at UConn. The video nicely shows her movement and repertoire. I love that little jump hook type shot.

Reaction Score
The video shows most of Meg's makes. She shot under 40%, but she'll get lots of repetition at UConn. The video nicely shows her movement and repertoire. I love that little jump hook type shot.

I doubt she will ever be a high accuracy shooter unless she only sticks to her mid range game but I'm pretty confident she will be a 18+point scorer for her career and more importantly she will get many of those points when the team needs them most.................

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It looks that way in the pic, but Mikayla is reportedly 5'10" at most and Meg is at least 6'0".

I'll be at the Jordan Brand game and take my Hartley Meter.

The Hartley Meter is a notoriously flexible and inconsistent measuring apparatus. You might do better to just sort of hold up your thumb between your eyes and the person to be measured, and see how many thumbs high she is.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I doubt she will ever be a high accuracy shooter unless she only sticks to her mid range game but I'm pretty confident she will be a 18+point scorer for her career and more importantly she will get many of those points when the team needs them most.......
She is a volume shooter. She will have to become more accurate because Uconn does not "usually" have players who shoot a lot, unless they hit the majority of their shots.

Reaction Score
She is a volume shooter. She will have to become more accurate because Uconn does not "usually" have players who shoot a lot, unless they hit the majority of their shots.

Agreed.........I'm confident she will improve her accuracy as she learns to pick her spots on the court...........the great benefit of being a shooter at UConn is you rarely have to carry the scoring load so forced shots are held to a minimum.....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Also a product of being the best on her team - when you surround good players with other equally or more talented players and coach them well, they become much more selective in when they shoot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meg's team was undefeated and nationally ranked this year, had only 1 loss the prior year, and won 3 straight Virginia championships. Her shot selection can't be all that bad. :D

As with Lexi and Andi, Megan will have the novel experience of not drawing double- and triple-coverage at UConn. Combine that with Geno's coaching, hard work, and repetition, I think Meg's shooting percentage will be just fine.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UcMiami is dead on. Not only in when she shoots, but what shots in what situations. I've said this before, but shooters think they can make every shot. It takes a while for shooters to figure out which shots in which situation gives them the highest percentage for success. Which is why Pheese's play is so astounding, because she's seemed to figure this stuff out as a sophomore.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UcMiami is dead on. Not only in when she shoots, but what shots in what situations. I've said this before, but shooters think they can make every shot. It takes a while for shooters to figure out which shots in which situation gives them the highest percentage for success. Which is why Pheese's play is so astounding, because she's seemed to figure this stuff out as a sophomore.
I remember back to last year and a complaint voiced sometime in the middle of the season by the coaches and echoed by some of the big three to the effect of: In practice and scrimmage we pass the ball to Napheesa in the lane and none of our players or practice players can stop her from scoring. Then we put her in a game, pass her the ball in the exact same spot, and she never shoots but looks to pass it to someone else! :)

She was obviously working on the team concept and not wanting to be selfish - they have cured her of that, so now we get jokes from Geno about how he has 4 great passers and a 5th player who really likes passes too, the ones that get made to her so she can score layups! :cool:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I just verified that my memory hasn't failed me completely:

NCAA Division I Women's Records:

Fewest point per game allowed: 46.2, UConn 2010

Lowest shooting percentage allowed: 30.0%, UConn 2010

That team included Maya, Tina, Kalana, Caroline, Tiffany, Kelly, and Lorin. In the Big East tourney, we gave up 41 to Syracuse, 44 to Notre Dame, and 32 to West Virginia. That's 39 ppg. Outstanding!

I knew I remembered the perimeter defense from that squad for a reason! Oh, and Tina/Maya were none too shabby either.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I can't recall the exact quote from Kalana Greene, but I think she said that the team gave up points begrudgingly. Their goal was to totally shut down the opposition. I think that was the team with the NCAA record for fewest points per game and/or lowest field goal percentage given up. Some of the teams in the BE tourney struggled to get to 40.

Mikayla Coombs seems to be a player with a similar mindset. In addition, her athleticism, size, and skills are something like those of Kalana. I agree that she will be relatively ready for a freshman. She's a bit UTR but very solid.
I get more excited about this young woman all the time. I want a relatively big, athletic, shut-down defender on the team, and this player just might fill the bill.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I get more excited about this young woman all the time. I want a relatively big, athletic, shut-down defender on the team, and this player just might fill the bill.
She's a bit like Kalana Greene. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Meg looking like Maya in the 3 x 3. Nice moves. Check out her patented jumper when going left.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

These are not the moves of a high school player. Note the 4th play, with the change of direction AND change of hands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom