UConn Signees/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by JS, Aug 15, 2016.

1. MilfordHusky

MilfordHusky Voice of Reason

Well, she is confident and a social media maven. She appears to be a hard worker. She also seems like a good teammate who shares the ball and doesn't force shots. Meg will need to adjust from being THE star to being one of many rock stars. Lou was the #1 recruit before Meg was.

2. MilfordHusky

I'd agree. Maya was powerful. She was also a rather good high jumper. But as CD said, Maya had slow feet. Once she got a head of steam, she had excellent straight-ahead speed. Meg looks a little quicker and seems to glide. Her body movements, like Maya's, suggest an elite athlete.

Meg is very, very good. Maya was arguably the best WCBB player ever. If Meg comes anywhere close to that, we will be beyond thrilled.

3. RockyMTblue2

RockyMTblue2 Don't Look Up!

As Breanna's dad said, it is: "Park your ego at the door" at UConn.

Carnac likes this.
  4. bags27

bags27

I share Rocky's hesitancy to make close comparisons between Maya and Megan. Megan is half-way through her senior year in high school. The Maya we remember had played four spectacular years in college. Who can compare "personalities" at different times of their development? And who even can compare skill sets when Megan is very much a work in progress? Finally, the coaching staff now is different (because they've matured) and will influence Megan differently than they influenced Maya. Our recollection of the past is imperfect and usually sentimental, our assessment of the present is often critical. Not disputing that it's fun to compare; just that it is almost inevitably unfair to the younger player. Let Megan be Megan.

jimazee, Carnac, rugbymate and 7 others like this.
  5. hoophuskee

hoophuskee

Really? I don't know so I rely on you and others.

I thought it seems like Meg is more of a 2/3 whiel Maya was a 3/4. So I thought athletically Meg would be quicker/more guard like therefore her explosion would be more "Jordan-like" while Maya is more "Lebron-like." Am I wrong to assume that Meg is more "explosive" in terms of quickness and getting tot he basket and converting than Maya was?

6. Sluconn Husky

Sluconn Husky

Just from my non-professional observation, I don't think Walker has Maya's explosiveness, but then, how many ever have? Maya's one of the better female athletes I've ever seen.

7. Sluconn Husky

Sluconn Husky

12/28

Ossining lost its first game to a NY public school in 83 games on Wednesday.

Andra Espinoza-Hunter scored 27 points in the defeat.

8. donalddoowop

donalddoowop

Thank you for your reports. Where do you get so much CURRENT information? Where is it available? I would love to have access to some of the places you get your information.

Kmoney likes this.
  9. Sluconn Husky

Sluconn Husky

Google and Twitter searches mainly. I bookmark some of the school papers and team websites after I find them for easier access. Some players are well covered. Others, like Charli Collier, are not and are hard to find detailed info on.

bags27, Kmoney and Jimbo like this.
  10. donalddoowop

donalddoowop

Thank you, Sluconn Husky.

11. Sluconn Husky

Sluconn Husky

25 points for Lexi Gordon today (12/28):

12. Sluconn Husky

Sluconn Husky

Barbers Hill is playing in the Gulf Coast Classic over a 3-day stretch. They won yesterday (12/27) and today (12/28) but I've seen no reports on the games yet. There are a couple of comments from observers, however.

13. MilfordHusky

I'd say that's pretty good feedback.

14. Charliebball

Charliebball

Jimbo likes this.
  15. Gus Mahler

Gus Mahler Popular Composer

16. Charliebball

Charliebball

I've noticed that......I have no idea if that she has really gone through that process or if it is just for fun.....

17. Carnac

Carnac

Bags, you nailed it!! Your reply is exactly what I was thinking. There's already more than enough built in pressure playing at UConn, aside from coming in as the #1 player in your class.

Why on earth do we need to put on added pressure by comparing her to one of the most decorated and gifted players ever to don a UConn uniform? As you suggest, let Megan be Megan. I have a feeling that if we stay in our lane, and cheer, root and support her, and her teammates, they will achieve the desired results.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    JordyG and RockyMTblue2 like this.
  18. Sluconn Husky

Sluconn Husky

12/29

Andra Espinoza-Hunter scored 51 points today in Ossining's consolation game win at the Slam Dunk tourney. She also passed 2,000 points for her high school career in the process. She added 12 rebounds and 3 assists.

Article on the game:

Slam Dunk: Ossining's Espinoza-Hunter has record-setting day

MilfordHusky likes this.
  19. Sluconn Husky

Sluconn Husky

After behind held to just 7 points last night Lexi Gordon rebounded with 27 points today (12/29).

MilfordHusky likes this.
  20. Sluconn Husky

Sluconn Husky

Espinoza-Hunter's 2000th career point:

MilfordHusky, Jimbo and CocoHusky like this.
  21. Sluconn Husky

Sluconn Husky

Still can't find specific stats, but Collier led a Barbers Hill 4th quarter comeback against Manvel to win Wednesday's game. They play the title game tonight.

Jimbo likes this.
  22. Carnac

Carnac

Congratulations to AEH on your athletic achievement. Perseverance pays off. You and your classmates will be welcomed with open arms upon your arrival on campus this summer.
    We look forward to watching your growth and development during your stay here.

Jimbo likes this.
  23. victor64

victor64

Man, AEH has a nice looking stroke. How the heck is Geno going to find time for all these kids next year? In some ways, his task next year is tougher than being short handed this year.

JordyG likes this.
  24. RockyMTblue2

RockyMTblue2 Don't Look Up!

Hopefully they have the maturity to know their situation coming in. Learn, grow, share, rise above or not. Different level, same exercise. Oh, and part of that exercise may be (knock on wood) sharing in the underscoring of the greatest run in college sports.

25. JordyG

JordyG

Yeah, sweet stroke. Lexi too has a nice stroke and I think a little quicker release. Practices next year are going to be brutal.

MilfordHusky likes this.