OT - UConn seeking hotel developer | The Boneyard

OT - UConn seeking hotel developer

Reaction Score
Nathan Hale Inn is only half filled by student housing? Is the rest still a hotel?

Reaction Score
Anyone hearing updates on the RFEI? I am curious if they have received any actionable proposals ... by the stated timelines they would like to have shovels in the dirt by the END of this school year.

Reaction Score
Anyone hearing updates on the RFEI? I am curious if they have received any actionable proposals ... by the stated timelines they would like to have shovels in the dirt by the END of this school year.

Storrs Center could have had a Fairfield by Marriott over a year ago. Mansfield stopped it.

Reaction Score
Just read something on the University Planning site that suggests their was limited interest in the development opportunity. Anyone have any supporting or conflicting information?

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
@Pudge , at one point you were saying that we would be seeing a rush of private development around campus - is that still coming or is there no interest out in the market?

Reaction Score
@Pudge , at one point you were saying that we would be seeing a rush of private development around campus - is that still coming or is there no interest out in the market?

I see things as being muzzled. I’m not local so I’m not sure if that’s because the Town or Infrastructure or University is putting the brake on.

I was involved in winning the original RFP for Storrs Center and know the Price Chopper construction team. I’d say that mixed use development is well done.

When contrasted to University peers in Mixed Use Development - UNH, Rutgers, Penn State, Delaware, Maryland, UMASS - Storrs/Mansfield is lagging. There is a lot of private capital for campus development.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think there are a few different things at play here.

Pudge is right - there is money for campus development.

There may be demand for a hotel in Storrs. There may not be demand for two hotels in Storrs and if the university is pulling back from the Nathan Hale building, it makes sense to go this route.

$8.3M is a lot of money for the university to have spent on 98 dorm rooms it may no longer need.

The bones of the building are good, the location is good, the building is already standing...I think this is the way to go.

Reaction Score
What contributed to UConn reversing prior plans for an entirely new hotel versus what appear to be updated plans to renovate the Nathan Hale building now partially used as a dorm for exclusive use as a hotel.

On UConn's previously proposed new hotel development, to what extent did Mansfield's local yokal zoning gurus impose size or height limitations, e.g., # of rooms, # & size of conference rooms, etc.?

Asked another way, was the potential allowed size too small for hotel operators to generate an acceptable projected profit margin?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I admit I have never stayed there. But one would think that a school like UConn deserves a much better conference center than that hotel. I saw the RFP will accept cutting the number of rooms to 65. Seems like it's headed in the wrong direction.

Reaction Score
I think you all are underestimating how great it will be to attend a Saturday game at Gampel, consume some beverages and not worry about driving home.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think you all are underestimating how great it will be to attend a Saturday game at Gampel, consume some beverages and not worry about driving home.

That was all of two Saturdays this year and one of those was Coppin State.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Mansfield needs to be shot into outer space.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That was all of two Saturdays this year and one of those was Coppin State.

That game needed a LOT of alcohol after watching the offense, though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom