UConn seeking hotel developer | The Boneyard

UConn seeking hotel developer

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Fully expect Mansfield to oppose this just as they did putting the rink here or pretty much any development. My guess "exacerbates existing housing shortage" will be the theme.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Fully expect Mansfield to oppose this just as they did putting the rink here or pretty much any development. My guess "exacerbates existing housing shortage" will be the theme.
Didn't Mansfield residents also have a problem with putting the new hockey rink on this site because of some reservoir that sits behind it? Would be awesome to see another phase of Storrs Center with a hotel on that location, I'm somewhat surprised the University is only asking for 100 rooms, I would've thought more along the lines of 250-300.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Didn't Mansfield residents also have a problem with putting the new hockey rink on this site because of some reservoir that sits behind it? Would be awesome to see another phase of Storrs Center with a hotel on that location, I'm somewhat surprised the University is only asking for 100 rooms, I would've thought more along the lines of 250-300.
Probably not enough demand, otherwise Nathan Hale Inn would have been more utilized.

Reaction Score

They can try but UConn seems to have that covered under 2.3 and 3.3.

Drew

Reaction Score
Probably not enough demand, otherwise Nathan Hale Inn would have been more utilized.
understandable, I'm just thinking between the research park/athletic teams/other events on campus/people visiting UConn students/people visiting non-UConn families in the Mansfield area 100 might be low. But they know better than I do

Reaction Score
UConn seeking a developer to construct a hotel on the Mansfield Apartments site with a 2019
occupancy.

http://updc.UConn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/1525/2017/05/StorrsHotelRFEIMay2017.pdf

Drew

Reaction Score
http://dailycampus.com/stories/2017/6/10/uconn-to-replace-mansfield-apartments-with-new-hotel

The University of Connecticut is seeking bids for a private hotel, which will be built on the corner of Route 195 and South Eagleville Road, according to aUConn Today article. The space is currently occupied by the university-owned Mansfield Apartments.

UConn will lease the land to a private operator, allowing for an independently owned and operated 100-room hotel to be built, according to the article. The hotel will not have any affiliation with the university.

Mansfield Apartments will be demolished in 2018, according to the article, and no longer offered as a housing option after spring 2018, so that no students are displaced. The apartments, which were built in the 1950’s, are costly to operate and repair, according to UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

No real updates from the above article. Hopefully we hear more soon.

Reaction Score
Interesting market study attached.

It seems that the most likely scenario would be a 76-key select service hotel, located on the property of Mansfield Apartments. This development would leave room for additional retail & restaurant development to compliment the hotel.

Attachments

• Hotel-Market-Study-RFP-Version-Final-June-2016.pdf
    877.1 KB · Views: 78

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger