UConn Scrimmage from First Night | The Boneyard

UConn Scrimmage from First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I need to make a WBB highlight video to that song now.
It really sets the mood and matches the pace of play.

Reaction Score
Never really experienced watching uconn ball while listening to the biebs. It's different but hey, I'll take it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Limelight. Shakespeare as a lyricist.

It's as if the word were written to the Boneyard.

Living on a lighted stage
Approaches the unreal
For those who think and feel
In touch with some reality
Beyond the gilded cage
Cast in this unlikely role
Ill-equipped to act
With insufficient tact
One must put up barriers
To keep oneself intact
Living in the limelight
The universal dream
For those who wish to seem
Those who wish to be
Must put aside the alienation
Get on with the fascination
The real relation
The underlying theme
Living in a fish eye lens
Caught in the camera eye
I have no heart to lie
I can't pretend a stranger
Is a long-awaited friend
All the world's indeed a stage
And we are merely players
Performers and portrayers
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded cage
Living in the limelight
The universal dream
Those who…

Reaction Score
Limelight. Shakespeare as a lyricist.

It's as if the word were written to the Boneyard.

Living on a lighted stage
Approaches the unreal
For those who think and feel
In touch with some reality
Beyond the gilded cage
Cast in this unlikely role
Ill-equipped to act
With insufficient tact
One must put up barriers
To keep oneself intact
Living in the limelight
The universal dream
Those who wish to be
Must put aside the alienation
Get on with the fascination
The real relation
The underlying theme
Living in a fish eye lens
Caught in the camera eye
I have no heart to lie
I can't pretend a stranger
Is a long-awaited friend
All the world's indeed a stage
And we are merely players
Performers and portrayers
Each another's audience
Outside the gilded cage
Living in the limelight
The universal dream
Those who…

I like Rush... great musicians, great music... but Lee's lyrics leave a lot to be desired.

Reaction Score
I like Rush... great musicians, great music... but Lee's lyrics leave a lot to be desired.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on the Limelight lyrics. I think they are pretty solid.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. Long time Rush fan and I have to say that Rush's lyrics are almost always pretty solid and thought provoking. Not the typical sex, drugs and rock and roll stuff from many bands.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. Long time Rush fan and I have to say that Rush's lyrics are almost always pretty solid and thought provoking. Not the typical sex, drugs and rock and roll stuff from many bands.
I'm not an expert on Rush lyrics, but there's nothing to admire about the lyrics posted above.

Edit: As for the subject matter, you set the bar pretty low there.

Reaction Score
I'm going to stay clear of the Rush part of this thread and just pass on my thanks to TCF for posting the scrimmage video. It's meaningless, but still nice to see the new guys out there in UConn uniforms.

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert on Rush lyrics, but there's nothing to admire about the lyrics posted above.

Edit: As for the subject matter, you set the bar pretty low there.
To each his own. Rock and roll isn't typically known for its awe inspiring lyrics. Just curious what rock and roll song would you consider to have great lyrics?

Reaction Score
Incredible musicianship, but the lyrics, to me, always came across as trying too hard to be lyrical/thematic. "The Trees" fits into that category pretty solidly too. I think lyrics are incredibly subjective in general and some who are considered great are snow to others. But I prefer lyrics that are a bit more organic. I find very little of Peart's stuff to be subtle.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
To each his own. Rock and roll isn't typically known for its awe inspiring lyrics. Just curious what rock and roll song would you consider to have great lyrics?
Great, of course, is relative.

Finding profound lyrics in rock is like finding profound posts on the Boneyard. You're in for a long slog.

As for the subject matter put forth in the lyrics in the Rush song above, the better lyrics that immediately came to mind was "Turn the Page" by Bob Seger. If I thought about it at length, I can come up with others; the paradox of isolation and stardom is a frequent subject in rock lyrics.

Reaction Score
Concept albums typically work well IME. The most recent two albums by Between the Buried and Me and studio project Ordinance do good jobs; the former much more abstract conceptually and lyrically (astral projection and meeting said projection; reliving past lives in a comatose state), the latter not so much (Ides of March)

FWIW I would classify the above bands way farther down the deathmetal end of the spectrum but the point remains

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Just another comment...

There are loads of songs I love that have terrible lyrics. And there are songs about sex, drugs, and rock and roll that have excellent lyrics. There are no rules, really.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I skimmed through the scrimmage (Kind of painful to watch a game that features no defense and bigs running the break half the time) but did Jalen Adams play? If not why didn't he?

Reaction Score
I skimmed through the scrimmage (Kind of painful to watch a game that features no defense and bigs running the break half the time) but did Jalen Adams play? If not why didn't he?

Sophomore Jalen Adams didn't participate in basketball activity. He has been dealing with a sore hip, and sustained a contusion on his left leg in a recent practice. It was a freak injury; he took a knee to the thigh.

"We want to be healthy once the season rolls around," Ollie said. "Jalen's an athlete, he's a competitor, he wants to get on the court more than anything and we have to kind of hold him back. We're just being very, very cautious with him."

From the Courant First Night article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog