UConn Running The Triple Option? Not An Easy Switch (Des) | The Boneyard

UConn Running The Triple Option? Not An Easy Switch (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I spilled a beer when I read that headline, and I am completely happy after reading that article it was in vain. Good grief.

Reaction Score
Medic did you put this up yet:
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com

Nope - that one slipped by.

Interesting comment:

>>Let's just get right to it and pass on Verducci's comments about what things could look like moving forward.

"Everything is possible," Verducci said. "We are always going to accentuate the skill set of the guys in the game, it may be multiple personnel groups, multiple formations, a guy may be listed as a running back and he may be lined up at receiver. A guy may be a tight end and he may be split out. We are going to try to stretch the defense. How do you defend this guy? Do you defend him as a running back? Do you defend him as a quarterback? For us it will be all hands on deck every Saturday and we will try to cobble together the best offense for that group of players who are available that week. We have to be flexible. This is not an offense where everybody has to be able to do the same thing. We are experienced enough and flexible enough as coaches that we are not going to ask Bryant Shirreffs to do the same things that Tim Boyle does. If Garrett Anderson or Tyler Davis are in the game, we will play to their strengths as well. It is no different than if it is Ron Johnson or Arkeel Newsome. The challenge there is you can't be typecast, you can't have enough crossover that will keep you balanced offensively."

If Verducci walks the walk as well as he talks the talk, there could be a little more excitement than in past years when the UConn offense is on the field.<<

Reaction Score
Aside from mentioning using almost every QB on the roster it sounded pretty good.

The coaching staff will strategically do everything possible to keep the opposition unsettled as to what to prepare for against UCONN each game. They purposely will appear undecided about various positions, all the while knowing exactly what they want to do. Keep em guessing! In the past UCONN has been too predictable.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I am not for the triple option but I am ready for ground and pound with Johnson and the rest of the backs - like the old days.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Bonehead said:
I am not for the triple option but I am ready for ground and pound with Johnson and the rest of the backs - like the old days.

Smash mouth, yes. If we resort to the triple option, I'm done.

Reaction Score
What an asinine article. We should consider the option because Ga Tech ran it against us back in the 1A transition period and Navy and Army have a combined two wins versus four losses against us? Just when you think the basketball-centric horde can't get any dumber, we get this.

Stayed away from the Yard until camp opened. Looks like I didn't miss much. Good to see you maniacs on here still :)

Reaction Score
What was even the point of the article? Oh grabbing headlines with UConn running the triple option. Stupid. That's not even reporting. That's two guys having a conversation about the triple option and then a reporter saying hey let's throw this POS against the wall and see if it sticks. With the courants editing staff, as kindergarten as they are, I can't believe this load made it through. They literally aren't even trying anymore.

Reaction Score
I will be fairly surprised if the offense is not centered around a power running game. I also think we'll see Sherriffs running by design and as improvised. Newsome in the slot sometimes. This offensive scheme is not being overhauled.

Reaction Score
As long as the Scout team runs it well. We need to go 2-0 vs. The Academies. If we go 0-2, seasons kaput before October rolls around.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if the Read Option arrow isn't in the quiver. It may not be used a lot but could be a weapon. Triple Option? Probably not a reasonable choice.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
God I read a Courant article because it sounded so bad.

WTF is this:
UConn coach Bob Diaco said he wasn't versed enough

I'd love to see the actual quote. With Bob being at you know Notre Dame and having you know Navy on the gd schedule every year.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And if Dez is pining for the option we could have hired Jude Kelly.

Jude Kelly had a quarterback who made an NFL roster at Southington and let him throw 10 times all season. When said quarterback was with Rich Rod he was utilized a bit better.

Reaction Score
God I read a Courant article because it sounded so bad.

WTF is this:
UConn coach Bob Diaco said he wasn't versed enough

I'd love to see the actual quote. With Bob being at you know Notre Dame and having you know Navy on the gd schedule every year.....

I assumed that they meant implementing and running it - not defending it (even though we know how that turned out)?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I assumed that they meant implementing and running it - not defending it (even though we know how that turned out)?

Thanks makes sense. That was why I was so confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom