UCONN "Rotation" Going Into "League Play" | The Boneyard

UCONN "Rotation" Going Into "League Play"

Reaction Score
Ok, Geno and the team have gone thru and played their 1st game against UMASS Lowell (which as we "Boneyarders" should know was essentially the teams "Exhibition" game. Geno shuffled players in and out of yesterday's game, just like he has done in Exhibition Games in years past. It was an opportunity to see what he did not know he had (the New Players on the team) vs. the veteran returning players. So, with this, going into Tuesday's Seton Hall game, I strongly suggest that the rotation will be more defined and focused, with minutes being 'refined' and tightened. This how I see it:

The Starting Five will be:

Paige Bueckers - PG - She proved to everyone yesterday, that she is the "REAL DEAL"
Evina Westbrook - G - Evina's leadership skills is why she will continue to start
Anna Makurat - SF - Although not having the greatest game yesterday, she is Geno's legit 3 point threat and he needs her.
Christyn Williams - G - CW didn't have a stellar game yesterday, but she "Has the Goods"
Olivia Nelson-Ododa - C - Great 1st Half - "So-So" 2nd Half. No matter, it will be with ONO that will take this team to the Promise Land this year (yes Paige is great, but ONO will be the key as to whether we win a National Title or not)

First player off the bench will be Aubrey Griffin, given her ability to spark the team, her ferocious defense and pure athletic ability (9 Points in only 12 minutes yesterday). Geno knows what his has with Aubrey and thus there was no need or benefit to him or the team to give her allot of minutes yesterday in a game that was essentially an 'Exhibition Game'. AG has the ability to give the team a "Double/Double" in many games off the bench, this season.

Next off the bench will be Aaliyah Edwards. She will spell ONO at the post and will give some very productive minutes, despite being a Freshman. Big bodies are hard to come by.

The next 2, with somewhat "Shorter Minutes" than yesterday, will be both Nika Muhl and Mir McLean. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Remember, they are both Freshman, on a team with great depth.

Thus, Geno will go with a 9 person rotation, but with the core being essentially 7 individuals getting the BULK OF TIME, going forward.

Reaction Score
Nika must be able to make a shot or 2 or her minutes might be the same as it takes to boil an egg.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nika must be able to make a shot or 2 or her minutes might be the same as it takes to boil an egg.
So Geno has had almost 5 months of practicing with this team of 6 freshman, deems Nika to be the first off the bench yesterday and due to a scant 15 min of playing time in her first game as a collegian, you want to put a warning shot across the bow to qualify what she needs to do to keep playing? :confused:

While the game was very exciting for us to celebrate, let's stop making so many unfounded inferences on "what we perceived" in one limited game. Yeesh...throttle back and enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
Nika was the first player off the bench yesterday, in both halves, so I'm unsure why you've relegated her to being 3rd off the bench. In all the years I've watched UCONN, he has never ever done that. Nika has an ankle situation and I think that, coupled with nerves, was why she struggled. She is clearly a good passer and facilitator, which is why I think she was the first person off the bench and I wouldn't be surprised if that continues.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I will take the cowards way out and say the rotation will depend on many factors from the team we will face to in game performance of the starters to practice performance. Anyone from 6-9 can be first off the bench

Reaction Score
I will take the cowards way out and say the rotation will depend on many factors from the team we will face to in game performance of the starters to practice performance. Anyone from 6-9 can be first off the bench

As well as ANYONE (yes and even Paige, if Geno wants to make a statement, as he has done in past years) from 1-5, can be replaced as starters, for any given game

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The day Paige is taken out of the starting lineup is the day I follow TN. :rolleyes:

Remember, in past years, Geno has 'benched' such 'STARTERS' as Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck, and other starters, throughout his career, to "Send a Message'. So for anyone to say that Paige could not/will not be benched is simply looking at Paige through rose color glasses. [I certainly hope that Paige's play this season and beyond, is and always "All American" and some of her play does not warrant "The Wrath of Geno"]

Reaction Score
I suppose my question is how many freshmen can be in at that same time before things get fouled up. That has been the issue in the past. Personally, I believe the team does better when majority returning players are on the court, especially at first. For me it gets complicated by the Kia Nurse factor - someone whose experience in senior Olympic play allowed her to contribute first year. We seem to have multiple of that type.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I don’t think there will be an official “first off the bench” this year.

Nika was the first in yesterday because Evina was the first out. If ONO would have picked up two quick fouls and Geno pulled her first, I think we would have seen Aubrey or Aaliyah first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom