UConn Rises to 18th Among U.S. Public Universities | The Boneyard

UConn Rises to 18th Among U.S. Public Universities

Reaction Score
UConn Rises to 18th Among U.S. Public Universities - UConn Today

>>UConn has achieved its highest-yet ranking among the nation’s top public universities, reaching No. 18 on this year’s U.S. News & World Report list and marking its seventh consecutive year in the Top 25.<<

>>"We are thrilled and incredibly proud that UConn has reached our highest-ever place in the U.S. News ranking of the nation’s best public colleges and universities,” UConn President Susan Herbst said. “This is a reflection of our core academic strength and UConn’s exceptional faculty, staff, students, and leaders – and state investment over many years.<<

>>Among all public and private universities in the rankings, UConn’s position at No. 56 was a move upward from last year’s No. 60 spot, and places the University among the top 5 percent of all institutions nationwide.<<

Reaction Score
While the conferences say academics matter, I don't believe it when you look at WVU and Louisville finding a life boat and UConn still floating around in purgatory. I jotted down a few numbers (I may be off by a spot here and there). There are 65 P5 schools (if you include ND). UConn would be tied for 22nd in overall school rankings, and 13th amongst public schools. We'd be at the exact middle spot (8 out of what would be 15, not including ND) of the ACC which would be our lowest ranking. We'd be number 1 in the Big 12 (out of 11), tied for 5th in the Big Ten (out of 15 and within 1 or 2 spots above or below a chunk of the conference), tied for 6th in the PAC 12 (out of 13), and 4th in the SEC (out of 15).

Reaction Score
While the conferences say academics matter, I don't believe it when you look at WVU and Louisville finding a life boat and UConn still floating around in purgatory. I jotted down a few numbers (I may be off by a spot here and there). There are 65 P5 schools (if you include ND). UConn would be tied for 22nd in overall school rankings, and 13th amongst public schools. We'd be at the exact middle spot (8 out of what would be 15, not including ND) of the ACC which would be our lowest ranking. We'd be number 1 in the Big 12 (out of 11), tied for 5th in the Big Ten (out of 15 and within 1 or 2 spots above or below a chunk of the conference), tied for 6th in the PAC 12 (out of 13), and 4th in the SEC (out of 15).
The only reason UConn is in purgatory is because conferences are maxed out because of all the dead weight grandfathered programs they are forced to carry. If they could, I'm sure the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world would kick the Purdues and Wake Forests of the world to the curb in a second to free up some space for more valuable properties.

Reaction Score
The only reason UConn is in purgatory is because conferences are maxed out because of all the dead weight grandfathered programs they are forced to carry. If they could, I'm sure the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world would kick the Purdues and Wake Forests of the world to the curb in a second to free up some space for more valuable properties.
Neither Ohio State nor Alabama would kick Wake to the curb because neither is in the ACC. Wake is top level academic school and cycles up and down in athletics.
Purdue currently compares very favorably to UConn in both football and basketball, and ties in the USNews academic ranking.

Reaction Score
Neither Ohio State nor Alabama would kick Wake to the curb because neither is in the ACC. Wake is top level academic school and cycles up and down in athletics.
Purdue currently compares very favorably to UConn in both football and basketball, and ties in the USNews academic ranking.

You're missing the big picture: $$$

Wake has no market.

Ever been to Winston-Salem?

Reaction Score
You're missing the big picture: $$$

Wake has no market.

Ever been to Winston-Salem?
The Bridgeport Bluefish are moving to High Point, North Carolina. Very close to Winston-Salem and Greensboro. Never even heard of the city before. There's money going into building up that region.

Reaction Score
The Bridgeport Bluefish are moving to High Point, North Carolina. Very close to Winston-Salem and Greensboro. Never even heard of the city before. There's money going into building up that region.

I've been through there. UNC and Duke fans. WF has no market, no constituency.

It is a very fine school that has done alright. Is that enough? One could argue that even BC has more going for it.

Reaction Score
W-S got hit hard when RJR got hosed by Nabisco (ever read Barbarians At The Gate?) After two decades of a downward economic spiral, it is starting to bounce back. @Butch is right, money is starting to flow back to the region.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom