UConn Released its Non-Conference Schedule Today | The Boneyard

UConn Released its Non-Conference Schedule Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nice OOC schedule. I added the possible FL Gulf Coast opponents based on what Jim Fuller wrote in his blog.

• Nov 1 vs West Chester (exh)
  • Nov 9 vs Post Univ. (exh)
  • Nov. 14 @UC Davis
  • Nov 17 @ Stanford
  • Nov 23 vs Creighton
  • Nov 28 College of Charleston (FL Gulf Coast Showcase)
  • Nov 29 Minnesota or Vanderbilt (FL Gulf Coast Showcase)
  • Nov 30 Arizona St/GaTech/Green Bay/Villanova (FL Gulf Coast Showcase)
  • Dec 6 @ Notre Dame
  • Dec 19 vs DePaul
  • Dec 21 UCLA (Mohegan)
  • Dec 29 vs Duke
  • Jan 4 St John's (Maggie Dixon Classic @ MSG)
  • Feb 9 vs South Carolina

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/08/uconn-releases-its-non-conference.html

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/conn-w-baskbl-sched.html

Last edited:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If that's right that's a pretty weak schedule.
Notre Dame, Duke, Stanford and South Carolina? Seems pretty legit to me. Add in Georgia Tech with Kaela Davis and UCLA and that's a pretty good nonconference schedule. I'd love to see Rutgers and Syracuse again, but oh well.

Reaction Score
Possibly 8 top 25 teams is a pretty decent schedule IMHO.
It would be decent if the rest of our schedule wasn't made up of SMU, Tulane, Temple, Tulsa, Houston, and East Carolina.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It would be decent if the rest of our schedule wasn't made up of SMU, Tulane, Temple, Tulsa, Houston, and East Carolina.

Yeah, we know what the conference schedule will look like.

The goal is to be battle tested for the NCAAs and the OOC schedule accomplishes exactly that, including playing what many expect to be a FF team in South Carolina in February. Seems to me UConn has done as well as anyone could expect in putting together this schedule.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I thought it was quite decent. UC Davis is the only not-in-the-showcase team that doesn't have any real positive that I know of. Of course College of Charleston likewise, but since that's in the showcase tourney UConn probably had no strong say in it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree but you can't knock the ooc schedule because of ic schedule and besides they can only schedule the teams that want to play them as well.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
And UC-Davis is obviously to get in another game in California before Stanford. Honestly, I'd love to see them play Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma, but that's because I'm selfish and could drive to all those games :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think there are only 3 weak opponents:

UC Davis, Creighton, and Charleston.

Notre Dame, Duke, and ND are traditional powerhouses. South Carolina should be excellent. The others are all decent, good, or very good.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Courtesy of doggydaddy, here's UConn's OOC schedule with last year's RPI in parentheses:
  • Nov. 14 @UC Davis (175)
  • Nov 17 @ Stanford (3)
  • Nov 23 vs Creighton (67)
  • Nov 28 College of Charleston (147)
  • Nov 29 Minnesota or Vanderbilt (44)
  • Nov 30 Arizona St(34)/GaTech(35) Green Bay(105)/Villanova (50)
  • Dec 6 @ Notre Dame (2)
  • Dec 19 vs DePaul (25)
  • Dec 21 UCLA (91)
  • Dec 29 vs Duke (4)
  • Jan 4 St John's (28)
  • Feb 9 vs South Carolina (6)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stanford obviously lost some talent, but UCLA loaded up, and SC got A'ja Wilson.

Reaction Score
I think there are only 3 weak opponents:

UC Davis, Creighton, and Charleston.

Notre Dame, Duke, and ND are traditional powerhouses. South Carolina should be excellent. The others are all decent, good, or very good.
Define weak. I would say anyone not in the top 25, but then again it's WCBB and there's a huge drop off after the top 15 teams, but let's not split hairs. Our SOS will miss seeing Louisville twice a year and of course Baylor. And there's no Maryland, Rutgers, or Penn State. UConn will win by 40+ against almost every team on that OOC schedule. At least the frosh will get lots of playing time. Sure hope that B1G invitation comes soon! :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno gave a pretty thoughtful answer to a question regarding in-season SOS in the pregame presser at the finals last year. He pointed out that in 1995 only 2 Big East teams were in the tourney and U Conn won and some seasons with great SOS U Conn did not get it done. So he said he did not know what the answer was about SOS. What I wanted him to say was: " 3-4 days a week we play harder games than we face until the final four - it's called a U Conn practice. Sure, we wish more people would be open to playing us, but we will be ready."

Reaction Score
I honestly don't think the schedule matters one bit as far "being ready," but it's more of a sign of the times, and one I don't like. Geno will have these young ladies lined up and in the best position to take home #10 no matter who is on the docket. My concern is mostly with some of the recent conference stuff that more or less leaves UConn out in the cold (as if we need more of that in Connecticut where it's cold most of the year). The positive spin is that Geno has said it's best when his teams face another for the first time as they don't know what to expect, so if UConn ever has trouble scheduling the top teams, that is clearly advantageous to a Geno-led team.

Reaction Score
No slander just say'n... if this has you upset you may want to avoid the conference schedule.
Ha ha no kidding. I guess you play the hand you're dealt, right? Luckily we have the media staying power for now, [mod edit]. In a few years from now I'm not so sure as the power conferences begin to tighten up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak