UConn QB Bryant Shirreffs named a Johnny Unitas Golden Arm candidate | The Boneyard

UConn QB Bryant Shirreffs named a Johnny Unitas Golden Arm candidate

C

Chief00

No disrespect toward Bryant and he's 1 out of 47 - but it's a real stretch in my opinion.

Reaction Score
He's had nothing in the way of coaching. Diaco and the cast of characters that he brought in as OCs and offensive position coaches were completely, totally and utterly inept. Is Bryant going to win a Heisman? Of course not. But, he's not the worst QB in the world either. We can win some games with him given the level of competition we play. He has some physical tools.

What Diaco did to him, Williams and the rest of the team at the end of last season was gross negligence........and he did it because he was incapable of admitting he was lost with what to do with a college offense. That he refused that help after the season was over is probably why he's back to being a DC.

Bryant may end up being under center against Holy Cross and that may very well turn out to be OK.

C

Chief00

He's had nothing in the way of coaching. Diaco and the cast of characters that he brought in as OCs and offensive position coaches were completely, totally and utterly inept. Is Bryant going to win a Heisman? Of course not. But, he's not the worst QB in the world either. We can win some games with him given the level of competition we play. He has some physical tools.

What Diaco did to him, Williams and the rest of the team at the end of last season was gross negligence...and he did it because he was incapable of admitting he was lost with what to do with a college offense. That he refused that help after the season was over is probably why he's back to being a DC.

Bryant may end up being under center against Holy Cross and that may very well turn out to be OK.

Maybe, but I think Pindell. The coaches watched film from last season and it's tough to separate Bryant's performance from Diaco's malfeasance. There are just some throws Bryant can't make with profiency and while not all his fault - I am not sure he has the best QB instincts ( when to tuck and run, ability to check off on multiple receivers , etc).

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
There are weirder selections on there than Shirreffs. Darius Wade from BC has never even really started for them, and thrown for under 400 yards in his entire career with BC, with two career TDs and 2 INTs. Somehow he's up for an award?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I mean he's potentially going into his third year as a starter it's not crazy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, if Shirreffs doesn't do well, it's the staff's fault. After all, he's a award finalist.
If Shirreffs can't beat out Pindell, Pindell must be great since Pindell beat out an award finalist.
If Shirreffs can't beat out Pindell, the coaches can't evaluate talent since Shirreffs is an award finalist.

Any other whacked logic that I've missed that will be stated authoritatively by posters by the end of the first hour of the first practice?

Reaction Score
Maybe, but I think Pindell. The coaches watched film from last season and it's tough to separate Bryant's performance from Diaco's malfeasance. There are just some throws Bryant can't make with profiency and while not all his fault - I am not sure he has the best QB instincts ( when to tuck and run, ability to check off on multiple receivers , etc).

This is not an attack simply a question...:) Kind of like trivia....Jeopardy for instance...."I'll take UConn Football for $500 Alex."
"OK, here it is, name the QB and how long ago it was he had an offensive line that allowed enough time to check off on more than one receiver and not have to run to save his life or simply prevent a sack?"

C

Chief00

This is not an attack simply a question...:) Kind of like trivia....Jeopardy for instance...."I'll take UConn Football for $500 Alex."
"OK, here it is, name the QB and how long ago it was he had an offensive line that allowed enough time to check off on more than one receiver and not have to run to save his life or simply prevent a sack?"

It's great to see casual fans having fun. Whatever works to generate excitement be it a TV game show, fanzone or female Football camp 101. I am all for it.

True, the OL hasn't been very good but that really has zero to do with Bryant's arm ability to make certain throws - it also doesn't have much to do with at least trying to get into progressions with receivers. True, sometimes the time was lacking but like it never happened. He also was a QB at NCST until they made an evaluation and moved him to another position. While he has some running ability, he doesn't have elite speed or moves. He does play hard.

C

Chief00

diD @Chief00 really call someOne a casUal fan, and then argue that a bad o-line doesn't have muCh to do with a quarterback going througH progrEssions?

I know often we had jailbreaks but sometimes he did have time and made nothing of the opportunity. There were throws he tried to make but just did not have the arm strength to do accurately and ontime. You will just have to trust me on that. Other times he ran without barely looking at a receiver. Certainly, I believe Lashlee recognizes that.
If you re-read by earlier post - I did provide that context.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Aw hell... the thread is already going in the crapper since Chief decided to chime in so I'll just leave this here:

Indiana Football‏ @HoosierFootball 13h13 hours ago
@RichardLagow has been named to the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Watch List

_c637708_image_0.jpg

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
diD @Chief00 really call someOne a casUal fan, and then argue that a bad o-line doesn't have muCh to do with a quarterback going througH progrEssions?

Don't forget his analysis of what happened at NC State. A casual fan might think that's what happened.

Reaction Score
Kid's still got steel balls if he doesn't win the Golden Arm. They're probably worth more down the road.
Got absolutely destroyed at ECU, physically trembling from the pounding and pain in his ribs and staying in the game. Only for the HC to turn coward in the post game and throw the whole offense under the bus.

Reaction Score
It's great to see casual fans having fun. Whatever works to generate excitement be it a TV game show, fanzone or female Football camp 101. I am all for it.

True, the OL hasn't been very good but that really has zero to do with Bryant's arm ability to make certain throws - it also doesn't have much to do with at least trying to get into progressions with receivers. True, sometimes the time was lacking but like it never happened. He also was a QB at NCST until they made an evaluation and moved him to another position. While he has some running ability, he doesn't have elite speed or moves. He does play hard.

Again Chiefoo no attack here just a huge difference of opinion. :) First you failed to answer a very easy question and ignored the obvious. ;)
You state the OL hasn't been very good like it is a minor factor in the equation of QBs always running for their life. Casey was the only QB that could get rid of the ball in two heart beats in quite some time and sadly a porous OL did him in.
You may be a professional QB coach and really be able to analyze the difference between throwing a ball with a little time to think or while running for ones life. Have I seen him miss a few passes he should have made? Absolutely but I also saw him make some and pay a price many would not. He deserves a chance to compete for the job as much as any QB on the roster.
As for your casual fan BS please... politely... stuff it where the sun does not shine under your KC panties. You like to throw that one out, saw it with UConn Dan97 also but your knowledge of my fandom is even sillier than that of the UConn QB situation for some time.
There are many things you can call me and I have no problem but with only a single one of them. This includes slander of the most vile type, but I know I will never go to my grave with anyone who knew me say I was a casual UConn fan.....;)

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Again Chiefoo no attack here just a huge difference of opinion. :) First you failed to answer a very easy question and ignored the obvious. ;)
You state the OL hasn't been very good like it is a minor factor in the equation of QBs always running for their life. Casey was the only QB that could get rid of the ball in two heart beats in quite some time and sadly a porous OL did him in.
You may be a professional QB coach and really be able to analyze the difference between throwing a ball with a little time to think or while running for ones life. Have I seen him miss a few passes he should have made? Absolutely but I also saw him make some and pay a price many would not. He deserves a chance to compete for the job as much as any QB on the roster.
As for your casual fan BS please... politely... stuff it where the sun does not shine under your KC panties. You like to throw that one out, saw it with UConn Dan97 also but your knowledge of my fandom is even sillier than that of the UConn QB situation for some time.
There are many things you can call me and I have no problem but with only a single one of them. This includes slander of the most vile type, but I know I will never go to my grave with anyone who knew me say I was a casual UConn fan.....;)

Call yourself whatever you desire and continue rooting the Huskies on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom