UConn proved that its fans will travel to Yankee Stadium | The Boneyard

UConn proved that its fans will travel to Yankee Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great turnout by the fans in a great environment. Proves that New York is a viable place for UConn football, as it always has been for basketball at MSG.

Reaction Score
Great appearance by the Husky faithful. Even got surprised at some who showed up. Earlier in the season, we had invited friends of ours to a game when my daughter & her fiancé had to work. They enjoyed themselves. When we got to our seats yesterday, that couple was seated in the section immediately to our left along with their son, daughter & son's girl friend. Then, on the bus ride home, I saw a picture of my cousin on facebook with the jumbotron scoreboard over his shoulder. (didn't realize that he was a fan-may have to invite him to future tailgates)

Reaction Score
Great appearance by the Husky faithful. Even got surprised at some who showed up. Earlier in the season, we had invited friends of ours to a game when my daughter & her fiancé had to work. They enjoyed themselves. When we got to our seats yesterday, that couple was seated in the section immediately to our left along with their son, daughter & son's girl friend. Then, on the bus ride home, I saw a picture of my cousin on facebook with the jumbotron scoreboard over his shoulder. (didn't realize that he was a fan-may have to invite him to future tailgates)
And people think the fan base is running for the hills. If fans can travel to Yankee Stadium they can surely travel to the Rent.

Reaction Score
Great turnout by the fans in a great environment. Proves that New York is a viable place for UConn football, as it always has been for basketball at MSG.
It was a fun day in the city, but I do not need to see anymore football games in a baseball stadium. Sitting in what is supposed to be great seats near the 50 yard line, only to have to look around the stupid foul pole. I go to a lot of away games, and this was the worst place to see a football game in, in my opinion. If we could get that many of our fans to any away game, the atmosphere would be great.

Reaction Score
I do not need to see anymore football games in a baseball stadium. Sitting in what is supposed to be great seats near the 50 yard line, only to have to look around the stupid foul pole.
It was a special venue. I enjoyed it and showing my Grandson the monuments etc was unique. As for the foul pole, it's obvious after sitting next to a design engineer that they weren't thinking football when they built the stadium. He says there should have been a lockable hinge at bottom of foul pole so it could lay flat--or a telescoping one that allowed it to retract after the fencing part was removed. His comment--"if Jerry Jones built this place there wouldn't be that kind of snafu."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It was a fun day in the city, but I do not need to see anymore football games in a baseball stadium. Sitting in what is supposed to be great seats near the 50 yard line, only to have to look around the stupid foul pole. I go to a lot of away games, and this was the worst place to see a football game in, in my opinion. If we could get that many of our fans to any away game, the atmosphere would be great.

And BC is deathly afraid of that very thing.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it. We had a corner of the centerfield end zone that was cut off from view from our seats that we had to switch our eyes to watch the TV monitors to see plays, but other than that, the view was good. I think we get spoiled by the sightlines that we all enjoy at the Rent. The last row of the 200s are still excellent seats. There isn't a bad seat in the house and definitely no obstructed views.

I hope that we are able schedule more games at Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, etc. UCONN could use every ounce of exposure it can get. Right now, the football team didn't give the school any good exposure but I do think the surprisingly large turn out by UCONN fans did. If you flip UCONN's record to 6-2 and/or flip the opponent to any P5 opponent, my guess is that you'd EASILY get over 40K for the game. UCONN fans did the school proud yesterday. Hopefully, Warde will be able to capitalize on the good turnout to schedule more games like the one last night.

Dooley

Reaction Score
And BC is deathly afraid of that very thing.

I remember going to BC when we played there (might've been 2002?). Lots of UCONN fans in attendance (I want to say 5K) and we clearly did not have the talent to compete with BC at the time. Alumni Stadium would have 10+K UCONN fans in attendance for every one of our away games there now that we have transitioned to D-1.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed it. We had a corner of the centerfield end zone that was cut off from view from our seats that we had to switch our eyes to watch the TV monitors to see plays, but other than that, the view was good. I think we get spoiled by the sightlines that we all enjoy at the Rent. The last row of the 200s are still excellent seats. There isn't a bad seat in the house and definitely no obstructed views.

I hope that we are able schedule more games at Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, etc. UCONN could use every ounce of exposure it can get. Right now, the football team didn't give the school any good exposure but I do think the surprisingly large turn out by UCONN fans did. If you flip UCONN's record to 6-2 and/or flip the opponent to any P5 opponent, my guess is that you'd EASILY get over 40K for the game. UCONN fans did the school proud yesterday. Hopefully, Warde will be able to capitalize on the good turnout to schedule more games like the one last night.

Reaction Score
Dooley,
I understand what you are saying, but if we want exposure, we can get it anywhere if we show up in large numbers, and start winning again.
When I go to a game, I expect to be able to see every play. I have never been to a football game, until yesterday,when that has not been possible.
5 years ago, we were not worried about exposure, we had it. For many reasons, we lost it.......and all the reasons really suck. Who knows if we will ever get back to where we were. In the meantime, I want to watch my football games in a football stadium.
I think back to not too long ago when Kansas State was the worst team in college football for years running. They have not played any game in baseball stadiums, and yet, look where they are now. (and they got better before all this P5 crap).[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
Wildgopher said:
Dooley,
I understand what you are saying, but if we want exposure, we can get it anywhere if we show up in large numbers, and start winning again.
When I go to a game, I expect to be able to see every play. I have never been to a football game, until yesterday,when that has not been possible.
5 years ago, we were not worried about exposure, we had it. For many reasons, we lost it..and all the reasons really suck. Who knows if we will ever get back to where we were. In the meantime, I want to watch my football games in a football stadium.
I think back to not too long ago when Kansas State was the worst team in college football for years running. They have not played any game in baseball stadiums, and yet, look where they are now. (and they got better before all this P5 crap).
[/QUOTE]

This isn't about stupid sight lines. It's about exposure. Figure it out.

Reaction Score

This isn't about stupid sight lines. It's about exposure. Figure it out.[/QUOTE]

Figure what out?
I did not see any extra exposure on TV last night.
Please show me the exposure. What I am saying is if we could get more fans to go to more away games, that would be exposure.

So if New York is a viable place for UConn football, we should play there every year. Paying an extra $30-$50 a ticket just to see a regular season game against a team that even if we won 50-0, shows we are worth being in a P% conf.
What does that prove? That fans will go to the game?
Does it make the BIG think we should let UConn in if they place all their games at Yankee Stadium.
Playing at MSG is one thing, it is a famous basketball arena.
OK, the BIG saw that we lost to ARMY at Yankee Stadium...and it helped us how?
All that being said, I had a good day....but I did not see any extra exposure anywhere.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I thought it was cool, but I hope they never do it again. I found the game to be really difficult to watch from my seats. Just my opinion though.

Side note: Yankee stadium won't scan your ticket on a cell phone and they won't let you print the ticket at guest relations either. I bought the ticket on the fly for instant download, saw the bar code, anddidn't read the fine print. Mistake is on me, but they weren't accommodating in the least. They gave me a stub hub office address to go to... except that it was an hour away. Thanks.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
People interested in expanding their conference brand into the NYC metro area saw what they needed to see from the fan base and hopefully understand that a single on the field performance doesn't make the first statement too far of a reach. That is the exposure we are talking about. Try looking a little farther ahead.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The point is that both commissioners of the B1G and ACC want their conferences to increase their brand in the northeast. If UCONN can bring 15+K fans to Yankee Stadium to watch a couple of 2-6 teams battle it out in a meaningless game, then UCONN can continue to market themselves as a popular brand in and around NYC/huge northeast markets. Everyone knows that UCONN can pack MSG but if hoops was the needle mover to get into the B1G or ACC, then we would have been added a decade ago. It's not. Football is the needle mover and more strong showings like the one UCONN got last night from its fans helps the P5 resume. Sports are cyclical. UCONN football won't be this bad forever (I hope!). And when it's not this bad, UCONN can very easily convince Delany and/or Swofford that we can and will pack venues like Yankee Stadium and help increase either conferences' desire for more northeast market exposure.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I thought it was cool, but I hope they never do it again. I found the game to be really difficult to watch from my seats. Just my opinion though.

Side note: Yankee stadium won't scan your ticket on a cell phone and they won't let you print the ticket at guest relations either. I bought the ticket on the fly for instant download, saw the bar code, anddidn't read the fine print. Mistake is on me, but they weren't accommodating in the least. They gave me a stub hub office address to go to... except that it was an hour away. Thanks.

There is a stub hub office right near the stadium, off river ave. But, still they should have accepted your e ticket.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There is a stub hub office right near the stadium, off river ave. But, still they should have accepted your e ticket.

I tried to go to that one, right next to Billy sports bar, but it was boarded up and said " coming soon"?

It's possible I could've missed that but maybe it wasn't open for college football.

In any event, to any UConn or Yankee fans, heads up in the future. Print your tickets.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
I tried to go to that one, right next to Billy sports bar, but it was boarded up and said " coming soon"? It's possible I could've missed that but maybe it wasn't open for college football. In any event, to any UConn or Yankee fans, heads up in the future. Print your tickets.

I think the Yankees got a restraining order preventing them from ever opening that office.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think the Yankees got a restraining order preventing them from ever opening that office.

I think the

Wonder why that would be the case? Due to Yankee relationship with ticket master?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
Wonder why that would be the case? Due to Yankee relationship with ticket master?

Yep. Really nasty history between yanks and stub hub.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yep. Really nasty history between yanks and stub hub.

Really crappy way to treat fans.

As, I mentioned, it's my fault for not reading the email, but when I opened the pdf and saw the barcode I incorrectly assumed it would be like other venues.

I'll never make that mistake again.

Reaction Score
I agree. It was not the best place to watch a game. I would have rather watched the game at West Point. The tradition there is like no other place. I am not a baseball fan so a baseball tradition means nothing to me or to football for that matter.

Reaction Score
I agree. It was not the best place to watch a game. I would have rather watched the game at West Point. The tradition there is like no other place. I am not a baseball fan so a baseball tradition means nothing to me or to football for that matter.

UConn would not have been able to bring that many fans to West Point. That was the point of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom