"UConn president Thomas Katsouleas is resigning" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"UConn president Thomas Katsouleas is resigning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Only at UConn.

We'll soon be paying more money per year to former University Presidents not be our President and instead teaching "classes" than we will be paying to our active Head Football Coach.

Reaction Score
Only at UConn.

We'll soon be paying more money per year to former University Presidents not be our President and instead teaching "classes" than we will be paying to our active Head Football Coach.
A Head Football Coach with a STELLAR ... I said STELLAR ... won loss record. You forgot to mention that.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Who are the likely interim UConn presidential candidates (they plan to appoint one next week)

Susan Herbst (ex-president)
Carl W. Lejuez (the relatively new provost)
Dr. Andrew Agwunobi (CEO at health center)
And for fun --- Geno Auriemma

:)

Reaction Score
A Head Football Coach with a STELLAR ... I said STELLAR ... won loss record. You forgot to mention that.
Let’s reserve our judgement till we see if there is an improvement in 2021. I for one think UConn football will be much better than anticipated.. Randy’s kids and recruits this year. Better unity and bought in mentality this year then in the past. Let’s see if he can revitalize like he did the first go around.. remember we haven’t seen this team in 2 years. I think we are in for a surprise!!
Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score

:)
Don't forget Dannel Malloy of Maine

Reaction Score
Tom Katsouleas may have had the vision to get UConn to the next level of research university. The kind of place with
lots of federal research dollars flowing in, and a Nobel prize winner or two teaching students. That also might have meant UConn could have been considered seriously for Association of American Universities AAU membership -- a near requirement for Big 10 athletic conference membership. I hope whoever they find as his successor has the same commitment to excellence. By the way, among the UConn Board of Trustees is Scott Cowen. He is a former UConn football star who later became president of Tulane University. He was also a past chair of the AAU. Cowen is currently the Interim President of Case Western Reserve University.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tom Katsouleas may have had the vision to get UConn to the next level of research university. The kind of place with
lots of federal research dollars flowing in, and a Nobel prize winner or two teaching students. That also might have meant UConn could have been considered seriously for Association of American Universities AAU membership -- a near requirement for Big 10 athletic conference membership. I hope whoever they find as his successor has the same commitment to excellence. By the way, among the UConn Board of Trustees is Scott Cowen. He is a former UConn football star who later became president of Tulane University. He was also a past chair of the AAU. Cowen is currently the Interim President of Case Western Reserve University.
Well said. C19 and ultra high overhead rates killed his dream. I think there are many entrenched forces at UConn that are holding it back. For instance, I learned that UConn Health is basically run by the Nursing School, not the School of Medicine. There there is not the emphasis on research and publishing that there should be.

Reaction Score
I wonder if it has pension implications and that's why he's staying on. Wasn't that the case with Herbst? So we overpay a teacher and then possibly pay more on the back end. If they're out, they're out. No more of this teaching nonsense. Waste of $, regardless if there are pension implications or not.
Buh Bye!
It is crazy how people in positions like this, in public and private sector, get absolutely golden parachutes. If I am a shareholder, no more millions for a poor ceo to go away. And for school presidents...you don’t need to pay a person that much. It is absolutely insane.

Reaction Score
First off UConn is. a PUBLIC UNIVERSITY. That implies a level of tax payer support.
2nd a huge budget issue which is not UConn’s doing but is a major impact is the retirement program. This is a huge state issue that goes back decades. The state made commitments on retirement but did not properly fund those commitments. Think of it like paying your taxes and insurance in your mortgage. When the bills come due there is money to pay them. What the state did was to pay only enough for the first tax payment. Just to be clear this goes back many years. Democratic Administration did it. Republican Administrations did it. Independent Administrations did it. Conservatives and liberals and moderates all did it. Malloy, whatever else you may think of him, was the first governor in a generation to begin to address it.

Reaction Score
The goal for UConn should be to become less and less dependent on state funds. In a recent article, it said state funding accounted for just 10.3 percent of the $1.3 billion budget for the Academic Division of University of Virginia. UConn needs to rely more on research dollars and private donations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom