UConn president says Ollie had pattern of serious violations | The Boneyard

UConn president says Ollie had pattern of serious violations

Reaction Score
I know, I know but what multi-page thread would you put it in?? Mods - feel feel to merge as you deem necessary.

AP: UConn president says Ollie had pattern of serious violations

>>HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — UConn President Susan Herbst says in a letter upholding the firing of Kevin Ollie that the former men's basketball coach had a pattern of breaking NCAA rules and committed serious violations.

The school released the June 19 letter Monday to Ollie in response to open records requests from The Associated Press and other news organizations.

Ollie has asserted that the violations which led to his firing were minimal and isolated. Herbst refutes that idea in the letter, calling them "serious under any definition which may be applied."

She also says Ollie's failure to report any inadvertent violations constitutes either a knowing disregard for his compliance obligations or a "gross inability to satisfy them."<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup. Like I speculated in another thread, the phone call and shooting hoops violations display a pattern of behvaior and the Atlanta trip is the real kicker coupled with him signing off on being compliant.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Uh oh. Suzy's [annoyed, vexed, etc.] at the latest round of posturing by KO's legal team.

Edited for @Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"pissed"? IDK @CL82, the letter appears reasonably and appropriately relatively restrained IMHO.

Regarding potential intentional or inadvertent violations, the letter includes no reference to the previously reported misrepresentation of related knowledge or facts on at least 3 occasions? "misrepresentation", polite word for possible lying. Too early perhaps, maybe UConn's attorneys kept that and other possible undefined stuff in the holster for a next response ???

Reaction Score
Who represents UConn? The Attorney General or outside counsel?

The rat tale about $30k is inadmissible hearsay upon hearsay.

The requirement of serious misconduct calls for a distinction between types of misconduct. If this is severe, what misconduct is not?

Reaction Score
UConn's entire case is based on an appeal to a false authority. I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp.

People are missing the story for the headline, and that story has about as much to do with Kevin Ollie as the Tiger scandal had to do with a car accident.

Think back to the FBI investigation if you may and try to connect the dots. It had nothing to do with preserving the sanctity of amateurism and everything to do with exposing financial fraud. It was the first step in a concerted attempt to criminalize the NCAA, and while plausible deniability made it difficult to trace the bread crumbs back to one person (that's what systematic oppression does), Herbst is now forfeiting that crutch by directly denying a state employee the money on the basis of a pretend rulebook.

If you want to fall on the wrong side of history, please continue to harp on a paid plane ride. The rules mean nothing and have always meant nothing, except this time, instead of circumventing title IX, they're tempting the conviction of our entire economic structure. Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Benedict publicly say back in Feb or march that UConn had a internal review and found no wrong doing? Am I making this up?

Reaction Score
Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn's entire case is based on an appeal to a false authority. I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp.

People are missing the story for the headline, and that story has about as much to do with Kevin Ollie as the Tiger scandal had to do with a car accident.

Think back to the FBI investigation if you may and try to connect the dots. It had nothing to do with preserving the sanctity of amateurism and everything to do with exposing financial fraud. It was the first step in a concerted attempt to criminalize the NCAA, and while plausible deniability made it difficult to trace the bread crumbs back to one person (that's what systematic oppression does), Herbst is now forfeiting that crutch by directly denying a state employee the money on the basis of a pretend rulebook.

If you want to fall on the wrong side of history, please continue to harp on a paid plane ride. The rules mean nothing and have always meant nothing, except this time, instead of circumventing title IX, they're tempting the conviction of our entire economic structure. Good luck with that.

This is a bizarre post. Title IX? What on earth does that have to do with anything? What "entire economic structure"?

This is a contract dispute. It's nothing more than that. A school that has a gigantic spending to revenue gap in the athletic department doesn't want to pay $10M to an ex coach. That's it.

Reaction Score
Yeah ... I still don't see this as anything but pennyante. He did do dumb things; but, he lost more games in the last 2 years than he should have. The worst two year sequence since the mid 80s. It is an attempt to yank part of the $10m back. His result is not going to be $0

It is sad. And I am more sad that KO did not seem to understand how to coach after winning a NC. His arc of the last 6 years is one of the most bizarre in the history of college basketball in the modern era.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, champs99and04 posts oft suggest he may on something, live in La La Land, or both ...

I'm going with the la la land on this one. Serious tin foil hat stuff, and it is strung together in a way that provides no linkage to seemingly disparate thoughts.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

There's an old saying, "Anything after the first 10 minutes of law study changes a man forever."

At this point I'm not sure which side you're on, but at least we know that all the lawyers got issues.

Reaction Score

Your ramblings have turned more into rantings. Either way, you're all over the place.

Reaction Score
Yeah ... I still don't see this as anything but pennyante. He did do dumb things; but, he lost more games in the last 2 years than he should have. The worst two year sequence since the mid 80s. It is an attempt to yank part of the $10m back. His result is not going to be $0

It is sad. And I am more sad that KO did not seem to understand how to coach after winning a NC. His arc of the last 6 years is one of the most bizarre in the history of college basketball in the modern era.
You hit that last paragraph perfect Pudge.......

Reaction Score
Amore/Courant: UConn President Says 'Substantial Evidence' Kevin Ollie, Staff Violated NCAA Rules

>>When Ollie was hired to replace the retiring Calhoun in 2012, it was clearly stated that Herbst and then-athletic director Warde Manuel required that he keep the program out of such trouble. “It was precisely because of the circumstances under which you took over the men’s basketball program,” Herbst writes, “that compelled Mr. Manuel and myself to each independently stress to you our expectation of rigorous compliance. … None [of the other coaches] were given the same specific direction upon hire that Mr. Manuel and I gave you.”<<

Makes sense given that UConn was already on NCAA probation @ the time

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Agreed. A nice distracting thread might be one that tries to identify stranger career arcs...? Or, is this the GOAT and we're all done here?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom