UConn Power Outage 10/24 Caused By Squirrel

Discussion in 'Alumni stuff' started by Drew, Oct 24, 2016.

  1. Drew

    Drew Its a post, about nothing!

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2013
    Messages:
    3,195
    Likes Received:
    4,077
  2. Drew

    Drew Its a post, about nothing!

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2013
    Messages:
    3,195
    Likes Received:
    4,077
    "A circuit problem caused by a squirrel in a transformed led officials to cancel some classes as power was knocked out to more than two dozen buildings at UConn Monday, a university spokeswoman said.

    Stephanie Reitz said impacted more than 50 buildings throughout campus. The buildings are academic, administrative and residential. She said shortly after 3 p.m. that the power had been restored.

    Classes in those affected buildings were canceled for the day, she said. Classes in buildings that did not lose power were not canceled.

    The circuit that failed is on a power pole in front of the Torrey Life Sciences Building, 75 North Eagleville Road, Reitz said. The affected buildings were not limited to the area around that address, however.


    Reitz said when the squirrel was electrocuted in the transformer, a spark was sent that knocked out the nearest circuit."


    UConn Power Outage Caused By Squirrel
     
  3. Mr. Conehead

    Mr. Conehead

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2011
    Messages:
    5,571
    Likes Received:
    3,294
    Back in the day, the little bugger were happy just throwing acorns on students' head walking in between Alumni and the library, now they knocking out power to half the campus.
     
  4. Dove

    Dove Vance comin'

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2011
    Messages:
    6,839
    Likes Received:
    6,407
    Just in: UCONN offensive plays in 2015 and 2016 have been called in by a squirrel, too.

    Wow.
     
  5. dbmill

    dbmill

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2012
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    765
    Same thing happened when I was a student living on campus at UConn many years ago, circa 1980. I was taking a shower one Sunday morning in my dorm when the lights went out. Found out later that a squirrel got fried when it got into a transformer.