UCONN plays "old school" huh? | The Boneyard

UCONN plays "old school" huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last weekend I heard Kevin Negandi say something along the lines of "some people say UCONN plays old school" to Kara and Rebecca, as if that was a criticism. You know, like Geno's approach is "dated" . It caught my ear, for as a 60 something, I am starting to feel "dated" on a regular basis! So I wondered just exactly what was meant by that comment....

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I don't think it was intended as criticism at all - quite the opposite. In this context, I think it refers to playing as a team, below-the-rim, tough defense, rather than flash n' dash, one-on-one, spectacular-looking offensive individuality. I'm not sure whether it was Geno who said it, but, if memory serves, somebody once said UConn plays like "5 older New York (or Philly) guys". And, what they meant by that was, they play smart, together, efficient rather than relying on individual showy play.

Basically, the way that east coast men's teams played in the 50's and 60's, before the dunk was legal - think some of the very successful Princeton teams of that era.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was intended as criticism at all - quite the opposite. In this context, I think it refers to playing as a team, below-the-rim, tough defense, rather than flash n' dash, one-on-one, spectacular-looking offensive individuality. I'm not sure whether it was Geno who said it, but, if memory serves, somebody once said UConn plays like "5 older New York (or Philly) guys". And, what they meant by that was, they play smart, together, efficient rather than relying on individual showy play.

Basically, the way that east coast men's teams played in the 50's and 60's, before the dunk was legal - think some of the very successful Princeton teams of that era.
Yes Pinot, I agree with you, but what caused me to post this was the implied criticism in Negandi's statement, and I was trying to get some feedback...

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Last weekend I heard Kevin Negandi say something along the lines of "some people say UCONN plays old school" to Kara and Rebecca, as if that was a criticism. You know, like Geno's approach is "dated" . It caught my ear, for as a 60 something, I am starting to feel "dated" on a regular basis! So I wondered just exactly what was meant by that comment....
It means that they have reverence for and execute on the fundamentals of the game; playing team ball, making defense the priority, making the extra pass to find the highest % shot available, protecting each possession of the ball like a robin's egg, playing within their system, et al.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The dunk was legal prior to the 1967-68 season and was reinstated for the 1976-1977 season.

Old school is yet another term people who tend to resist change like to throw out there. I am not convinced that today's game is not played as smartly, as efficiently, or as much as a team. The game is better than it ever was and the dinosaurs are extinct.

Reaction Score
Funny, I've been waiting for the rest of the world to catch on to this beautiful, smart way of playing basketball.
Yesss! People who know I have been an obsessive UCONN women's fan since Gampel opened continuously ask me how I can be interested in watching blow out after blowout. My stock reply is That I love the game of basketball played well, and no where else do you see beautiful basketball like UCONN's.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Yesss! People who know I have been an obsessive UCONN women's fan since Gampel opened continuously ask me how I can be interested in watching blow out after blowout. My stock reply is That I love the game of basketball played well, and no where else do you see beautiful basketball like UCONN's.

Precisely!

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
The beautiful game indeed. With your permission, I would like to borrow your "stock reply" when asked that question in the future. My stock answer has not been as succinct and I need to cut it down from it's current 19 paragraphs, to your 19 perfect words. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Old School, Blue Collar, Lunch Pail, Workmanlike - there are a number of terms that get used for similar purposes and might possibly be considered 'criticism' in some circles but usually are used to describe a pride in doing things correctly and with consummate skill.
And while all of those apply to Uconn basketball, there is the other side to it which is that women's sports and women's basketball for most of its 'existence' and in most places was none of those things. It wasn't proper for 'women' to sweat too much or to strive for athletic greatness and many 'sports' were promoted for improving posture and grace. And even more recently they were treated more as recreation and the athletes as women first so it was OK if they didn't do too well, at least they had tried.
There were exceptions and coaches like Pat who demanded dedication and all out commitment, but they were the exceptions not the rule.
And what has changed I think with Uconn and Stanford and Louisville and Notre Dame and a number of 'new school' programs is that not only do they demand the commitment, but they also teach and demand not just the athletic effort, but also the mental and theoretical knowledge of the game.
So Uconn is I would say a very New School program that definitely plays Old School!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom