UConn picked to win the BIG East. | The Boneyard

UConn picked to win the BIG East.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The UConn women's basketball team was selected as the unanimous favorites to win the BIG EAST Conference in the Huskies' first season back in the league since 2012-13. The BIG EAST Women's Basketball Preseason Coaches' Poll was announced Thursday morning.

Junior guard Christyn Williams was selected as the BIG EAST Preseason Player of the Year.

1603991550920.png

Guard Paige Bueckers, the No. 1-ranked recruit in the 2020 class, was unanimously selected as the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year. Redshirt junior Evina Westbrook and junior Olivia Nelson-Ododa were tabbed to the preseason All-BIG EAST Team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Huskies return to the BIG EAST after spending seven seasons in the American Athletic Conference, where UConn went 139-0 in league play. The Huskies received 10 first-place votes in the coaches' poll.

I keep reading this and it's simply not true. UConn never left the conference that used to be called the BE. When the BE became a football conference a number of non-football schools left the conference. (Get it? Those catholic schools LEFT THE BIG EAST). Then they approached the BE conference and purchased the name for one or two million and called their NEW conference the BE. It didn't make sense for the BE to keep that name because many of it's new members were far from the east coast.

I know it's a small point but the people rewriting history are supposed to be journalists committed to the truth.

Reaction Score
Not at all shocking however I think that Anna will have the best year on the team and win player of the year in the big east. I would be very happy if Christyn had that strong a year. It would be a nice bounce back season for her

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I expect Christyn to have a good bounce back year, and she's capable of busting out this season, but what is this award based on? This should be massive motivation for the Big East's returning stars. I watched ZERO Big East games last year so I don't know the quality of the individuals under consideration. Based on their trajectory last year, Anna or Liv could emerge in a big way this season and have the skills to challenge for the POY at the end.

Bottom line is that Geno (as usual) is correct, these preseason awards are stupid and meaningless.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I expect Christyn to have a good bounce back year, and she's capable of busting out this season, but what is this award based on? This should be massive motivation for the Big East's returning stars. I watched ZERO Big East games last year so I don't know the quality of the individuals under consideration. Based on their trajectory last year, Anna or Liv could emerge in a big way this season and have the skills to challenge for the POY at the end.

Bottom line is that Geno (as usual) is correct, these preseason awards are stupid and meaningless.
Considering how much UConn is loaded they could actually have 5 or 6 players in the running for POY.

Reaction Score
The UConn women's basketball team was selected as the unanimous favorites to win the BIG EAST Conference in the Huskies' first season back in the league since 2012-13. The BIG EAST Women's Basketball Preseason Coaches' Poll was announced Thursday morning.

Junior guard Christyn Williams was selected as the BIG EAST Preseason Player of the Year.

View attachment 60423

Guard Paige Bueckers, the No. 1-ranked recruit in the 2024 class, was unanimously selected as the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year. Redshirt junior Evina Westbrook and junior Olivia Nelson-Ododa were tabbed to the preseason All-BIG EAST Team.

That might confirm 4 of the five starters, unless Geno wants to prove the voters wrong!!!!!

Reaction Score
Christyn, Liv, Evina, and Paige is 4 that got the awards. Note the awards, except for Freshman of the year, almost always go to upper classmen so with that in mind it gave awards to every upper classman on the team!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unless you think we're back to Freshman ineligible, I count 4.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That might confirm 4 of the five starters, unless Geno wants to prove the voters wrong!!!!!

And Aubrey rounds out the starting 5. :)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

View attachment 60423

Guard Paige Bueckers, the No. 1-ranked recruit in the 2024 class, was unanimously selected as the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year. Redshirt junior Evina Westbrook and junior Olivia Nelson-Ododa were tabbed to the preseason All-BIG EAST Team.

Paige is not the number one ranked recruit in the class of 2024! Maybe the Player of The Year in 2024 but not number one recruit.;)

Reaction Score
Unless you think we're back to Freshman ineligible, I count 4.
I don’t think that confirms anything. I think Nika is going to be a huge surprise in a good way.

Geno: "There are times when Aaliyah Edwards and Nika Muhl, sometimes they look like they've been playing college basketball for awhile."

He added that Paige too mixes really well with the returners. “

Carnac

Reaction Score
Paige is not the number one ranked recruit in the class of 2024! Maybe the Player of The Year in 2024 but not number one recruit.;)

100% cut and paste Don. That was their error, not mine. Although I will take some blame for not proofreading it more closely. Thanks. I will correct it. :)

Reaction Score
They are thinking of college class not high school anymore so perhaps recruit might not be appropriate. Anna and Aubrey not really overlooked. As Sophomores they would not usually be even considered for those awards.

Reaction Score
Not at all shocking however I think that Anna will have the best year on the team and win player of the year in the big east. I would be very happy if Christyn had that strong a year. It would be a nice bounce back season for her
Lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom