UConn Olympic Monument | The Boneyard

UConn Olympic Monument

Reaction Score
This is a fitting and impressive tribute. I feel for Katie Lou for conspicuous reasons. Perhaps she is listed, but probably not...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The sentiment is great but I actually thought the monument was pretty plain. No Olympic Rings, American Flag etc. maybe chiseled into the structure?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The sentiment is great but I actually thought the monument was pretty plain. No Olympic Rings, American Flag etc. maybe chiseled into the structure?
Agree. Sometimes a plain monument can make a statement. I don’t think this is one of those times. It would also look better if it was carved out of a single piece of granite rather than just having stone facing on the outside.

The addition of the Olympic rings on the top is an obvious fix. An Olympic torch would be another idea.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think the 5 Rings on top Would be a nice touch. Remember that the ceremony honored Olympians for all countries, not just the USA. As such, the monument probably lists Olympians from all countries. The ceremony included two assistant coaches- Dee Rowe and Jen Rizzotti.

Honestly, this is/was a nice tribute for the school and the individuals. Just add the “rings” to complete it!

Reaction Score
1638802942220.png

Reaction Score
Steve Emt, scrappy blue collar bball player for the Huskies. Great high school coach and great all-around guy. Happy no monuments of a person to date and hopefully never.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Are non-basketball players on the monument? I know there were former UConn field hockey players that played at this year’s Olympics. There must be others - soccer players, swimmers, track & field…

Reaction Score
The earlier tweet posted by huskymedic from AD David Benedict has a higher res photo of the monument.
All Olympians (non-basketball sports included) are listed on the plaques - Stephanie Labbé represent !!! :D:D:D

CL82

Reaction Score
The earlier tweet posted by huskymedic from AD David Benedict has a higher res photo of the monument.
All Olympians (non-basketball sports included) are listed on the plaques - Stephanie Labbé represent !!! :D:D:D

Dave looks like a hobbit in this picture.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are non-basketball players on the monument? I know there were former UConn field hockey players that played at this year’s Olympics. There must be others - soccer players, swimmers, track & field…
The monument has the names of 50 UConn’s Olympians have won a cumulative 27 gold medals, a silver medal, and seven bronze medals. They have represented 14 different countries and Puerto Rico, and participated in 15 different Olympic and Paralympic sports.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

There was some confusion in the Geno post game presser yesterday when Geno asked if Stefanie Dolson
was present for this ceremony. Geno was told by one of the reporters that she was present for the ceremony.
Stefanie Dolson is not in this picture, does anyone know if she was on campus for this ceremony?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There was some confusion in the Geno post game presser yesterday when Geno asked if Stephanie was present for this ceremony. Geno was told by one of the reporters that Stephanie was present for the ceremony. Stephanie is not in this picture, does anyone know if she was on campus for this ceremony?
She was inside Gampel during the game, so I have to believe that she was at the ceremony. During one of the timeouts, she served as the judge of whether the blue side or the white side of the stands yelled louder and was thus entitled to a T-shirt distribution.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She was inside Gampel during the game, so I have to believe that she was at the ceremony. During one of the timeouts, she served as the judge of whether the blue side or the white side of the stands yelled louder and was thus entitled to a T-shirt distribution.
Thanks. She would have been a great addition to the picture. Come to think of it she was an Olympian in 3 X 3 basketball which is considered a different sport than the 5 X 5 version and might have been the reason for her exclusion from the picture.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thanks. She would have been a great addition to the picture. Come to think of it she was an Olympian in 3 X 3 basketball which is considered a different sport than the 5 X 5 version and might have been the reason for her exclusion from the picture.
I’m guessing she was late? Here’s a picture from inside

1638851487846.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom