UConn offers Rashad Vaughn | The Boneyard

UConn offers Rashad Vaughn

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
2014 guard. Five stars, according to ESPN. He played for Net Gain last summer, which is a pretty good program.

From Zags: https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/294871214181208064

Haven't heard much about Vaughn, but apparently Kentucky has already offered him...so I guess it's not likely that he comes here.

I think UNC, Duke, Cuse, UK, KU, etc. are after him. He's a legit top 10 player in 2014.

Reaction Score
He's great. Love his game. I remember reading that Ollie was trying to bring in Matt Abdelmassih from ISU which would help with Vaughn and also help in NYC - let's hope that happens if/when one of the assistants moves on to something bigger and better.

Reaction Score
True early test for Coach. If he comes it will be a signature recruit for Coach.

Reaction Score
He's great. Love his game. I remember reading that Ollie was trying to bring in Matt Abdelmassih from ISU which would help with Vaughn and also help in NYC - let's hope that happens if/when one of the assistants moves on to something bigger and better.

There was a cbs article on him and uconn. Its funny that the ISU forum actually thinks they are a better option than Uconn. I hope we don't sound like these guys.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/156024-abdelmassih-uconn-print.html

Reaction Score
The last time I watched ISU play they were blowing UConn out. So they can say what they want.

Reaction Score
He's a very good player. I doubt we go after him long unless he tells the staff that he's interested in UConn. They might gauge his interest and go from there.

Reaction Score
For those of us who like putting a face with an offer...

Reaction Score
There was a cbs article on him and uconn. Its funny that the ISU forum actually thinks they are a better option than Uconn. I hope we don't sound like these guys.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/156024-abdelmassih-uconn-print.html

I studied at University of Iowa before coming to Uconn, and I would say that Iowans are some of the nicest people I ever met. Other than that and sweet corns, Quaker oats, and juicy pork, however, there's not much there to amuse a young player that New England, not to mention the gorgeous autumn, does not have. It simply has much more to offer in terms of everything plus Uconn will be on the rise yet again in but a few years.

caw

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way, if UConn can get two of Vaughn, Hill, Terrell and Carrington, then I don't think even freescooter could complain.

One would be great, two would be the start to a fantastic class.

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way, if UConn can get two of Vaughn, Hill, Terrell and Carrington, then I don't think even freescooter could complain.

Two would be great, but they all play the same position - which is also the same position that Omar Calhoun plays.

caw

Reaction Score
Two would be great, but they all play the same position - which is also the same position that Omar Calhoun plays.

Different players, but Gordon, Brown, Anderson worked just fine. All three were top 50 SG's in high school. Brown and Anderson were in the same class and only 1 year behind Gordon, whereas the 2014 kids would be two years behind Omar.

Of course Gordon, Brown, Anderson all had different skill sets, but going into 2004, they also had Taliek and Marcus as the five guards playing three spots.

Omar is more than capable of playing the three. Ahmed Hill is 6'5, Vaughn is 6'6 and Terrell is 6'3 (but 220lbs). Carrington is the smallest at 6'3 (180). I think it would work out fine, depending on the PG.

Reaction Score
yea there's no reason why they can't sign two "SGs" and have them play at the 2/3

Reaction Score
I studied at University of Iowa before coming to Uconn, and I would say that Iowans are some of the nicest people I ever met. Other than that and sweet corns, Quaker oats, and juicy pork, however, there's not much there to amuse a young player that New England, not to mention the gorgeous autumn, does not have. It simply has much more to offer in terms of everything plus Uconn will be on the rise yet again in but a few years.

Sure, New England does, but if you've lived in Iowa City then you know that there's a hell of a lot more going on there than in Storrs. And I've never been to Ames but given that it was just named by some publication one of the best college towns in America, I would bet there's more going on there too.

Also, if "UConn will be on the rise yet again in but a few years" is what we have to offer, who in their right mind would come to play here? There's a post above scoffing at the idea that a kid would be more attracted to playing at ISU than UConn right now. All things considered, I don't see what's so unreasonable about that.

Reaction Score
Sure, New England does, but if you've lived in Iowa City then you know that there's a hell of a lot more going on there than in Storrs. And I've never been to Ames but given that it was just named by some publication one of the best college towns in America, I would bet there's more going on there too.

Also, if "UConn will be on the rise yet again in but a few years" is what we have to offer, who in their right mind would come to play here? There's a post above scoffing at the idea that a kid would be more attracted to playing at ISU than UConn right now. All things considered, I don't see what's so unreasonable about that.

Yep, I agree with you for the most part. Ames, of course, is a nice college town exceeding both Iowa City and Storrs, but I was comparing regions: compact New England vs. Iowa/sprawling Midwest, not Storrs vs. Ames. Also, the Huskies+Vaughn will be a bigger contender than Cyclones + Vaughn in his freshman or sophomore year, no?. KO may put together better recurring classes than Hoiberg, with due respect to him, ever will, outside the Midwest. Not many blue chippers, unfortunately, don't get drawn to Iowa and surrounding regions, unless they are home-grown. Even some of them choose to leave the area for their own reasons.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I don't know but a quick look at that thread suggests that a few people there think the contrary....
thatguy
Re: Abdelmassih to UConn?

I agree we don't want to lose him, but lets be honest the UCONN program is more sexy and appealing than the ISU program, and probably a faster way to get an HC job someday.​

He might be a better fit for UConn anyway. It's probably a lot easier to recruit NYC kids to UConn than ISU. Not saying his loss wouldn't be big but I could see why he'd do it.

Reaction Score
I don't know but a quick look at that thread suggests that a few people there think the contrary....

You realize they're talking about an Iowa State coach that's from NYC, right?

Reaction Score
Why would you count Daniels, he's from Cali, isn't he?

LOL, that's the only reason why I carefully did not count Daniels in (but he is definitely KO's recruit). I think , though, I got McCracken's earnest drift. I just don't agree that ISU is a stronger magnet for recruits - all major factors considered. Hoiberg has a great magnetic charm but so does Ollie. Equal there, dead tie. In most everything else that's important to a recruit who is thinking of a plausible NBA career, I believe Uconn might have a considerable edge.

Reaction Score
KO will get Carrington at the min

At a conservative minimum, KO should get Carrington. NY boy Samuels is working on it big-time. The other three are hard nuts to crack, especially Vaughn. Should we trip up on Vaughn, I'd prefer that he go to ISU or elsewhere that is not Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Hearing Vaughn is visiting Iowa St. next week for the 3rd time.

Reaction Score
Wow, two pages of debate over which is a more attractive destination for a basketball coach from NYC.

Reaction Score
Wow, two pages of debate over which is a more attractive destination for a basketball coach from NYC.
if theres any question im sure there is a thread about how we're nyc's team...
further proof this place is just annoying at times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom