UConn Offensive Coordinator Happy With Shirreffs At QB (Des) | The Boneyard

UConn Offensive Coordinator Happy With Shirreffs At QB (Des)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Des on a roll...

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...appy-with-shirreffs-at-qb-20150818-story.html

>>"Oh I'm very happy with Bryant," Verducci said. "Bryant is an excitebable guy and he's going to be hyped to start a game but I'm really happy with how he settled down. There's some rough edges there. He hasn't really played much yet so it's my job to get him going in a game. Not to say we're going to ease him into games but we have to have a plan to move him forward from the start of a game."<<

Reaction Score
This is a good sign...An Offensive Coordinator who can trust his QB is something we havent had in a long time

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I believe that BD said he wanted the starting QB for Nova named 2 weeks prior? So shouldn't that be Thursday? I know he is #1 on the depth chart...just haven't seen him declared game 1 starter.

Reaction Score
Des on a roll...

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...appy-with-shirreffs-at-qb-20150818-story.html

>>"Oh I'm very happy with Bryant," Verducci said. "Bryant is an excitebable guy and he's going to be hyped to start a game but I'm really happy with how he settled down. There's some rough edges there. He hasn't really played much yet so it's my job to get him going in a game. Not to say we're going to ease him into games but we have to have a plan to move him forward from the start of a game."<<
Medic no spitting match but Des on a roll? Why because he finely has stopped saying Boyle has the strongest arm and may actually realize that is meaningless? :confused: You have a good point here but it has nothing to do with the reporter / commentator but rather the coach and his statement. We have someone stating up front it is his job to get a player going in a game. This leads me to believe along with Bob and his style we are done hearing they did not execute. Sounds like a coach willing to take responsibility and thus instilling the same into the player / team. As for Des, he is a nice guy. :D

Reaction Score
Medic no spitting match but Des on a roll?

Wow. Read too much into things much? No, he's "on a roll" because he's spitting out info left and right last few days. (sure it's his job but outside of Fuller and w/ Silver gone it's welcome info.). But hey - if that outburst made you feel better - I'm happy.

Last edited:

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Assuming Shirreffs is our starter week 1 and Davis takes a RS, are there any plausible scenarios where either TB or GA also RS? What if after the first few games BS establishes himself as the man and neither TB or GA sees any playing time? I can see several scenarios where lack of playing time, or asking one of those guys to take a RS, especially TB, might cause them to look at transferring out. With Jay Rose also weighing his options and making a decision over the next few weeks it could get interesting. On the other hand, it could be just me making something out of nothing.

Reaction Score
Assuming Shirreffs is our starter week 1 and Davis takes a RS, are there any plausible scenarios where either TB or GA also RS? What if after the first few games BS establishes himself as the man and neither TB or GA sees any playing time? I can see several scenarios where lack of playing time, or asking one of those guys to take a RS, especially TB, might cause them to look at transferring out. With Jay Rose also weighing his options and making a decision over the next few weeks it could get interesting. On the other hand, it could be just me making something out of nothing.
You never know about Boyle and Anderson...I like the fact there are hopefully 2 qb's in this class (Donovan Williams and hopefully Jasen Rose)...that will assure good positional depth if one of those 2 decide to leave.

Reaction Score
No way is Boyle or Anderson taking a redshirt year. Both are backups who will either get the top job this year or remain backup. Both will be gone after 2016. It has nothing to do with either guy just the reality of where the program is headed. We have a soph starter. We have a frosh and 2 more coming next year, at least one the year after. All are dual threat guys. And 1 other thing, despite all the love and grooviness babble Diaco would probably rather have the scholarships than a couple of rs senior backup quarterbacks.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's plausible, but not probable. In the old EASports NCAA Football games, you were able to redshirt whoever you wanted before the season, but they were not available throughout. Alas, this is not a video game. In real life, redshirts are "awarded" after the season . Diaco could have every intention to redshirt a player, but sometimes happens (See: 2014 - Tim Boyle. See also: 2011 - Bobby Puyol).

On the other hand, Shirreffs could take every offensive snap of every game and both Tim Boyle and Garrett Anderson could have the opportunity to redshirt as the #2 backup QB.

Reaction Score
It's plausible, but not probable. In the old EASports NCAA Football games, you were able to redshirt whoever you wanted before the season, but they were not available throughout. Alas, this is not a video game. In real life, redshirts are "awarded" after the season . Diaco could have every intention to redshirt a player, but sometimes happens (See: 2014 - Tim Boyle. See also: 2011 - Bobby Puyol).

On the other hand, Shirreffs could take every offensive snap of every game and both Tim Boyle and Garrett Anderson could have the opportunity to redshirt as the #2 backup QB.
But why in heavens name would they? If your scenario plays out then the competition next year is Sherreffs vs the frosh who will be the heir apparent.

Husky25

Reaction Score
But why in heavens name would they? If your scenario plays out then the competition next year is Sherreffs vs the frosh who will be the heir apparent.
Why in heavens would they what?

As I said, it is not a probable, but that wasn't the question. If, for some out-of-this-world reason, Shirreffs plays every snap (do you really expect that with a purported sieve of an offensive line and a scrambling QB? I don't. But again, that wasn't the question being asked.), UConn has that opportunity.

Reaction Score
Why would they redshirt Boyle and/Anderson? Would it be permissible? Sure. But why would UConn do it? One was brought in as a backup. The other doesn't fit the offense we now run. By the way lots of quarterbacks. Even from bad teams play the entire year. Our qb carousel of the past few years has had more to do with coaching decisions than injury. The exception being Cochran of course but that really was a long term issue not as much the result of a specific hit.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Who wants to bet Diaco doesn't make the same mistake by bringing out all 4 QB's on stage again in a presser to annouce our week 1 starter?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why would they redshirt Boyle and/Anderson? Would it be permissible? Sure. But why would UConn do it? One was brought in as a backup. The other doesn't fit the offense we now run. By the way lots of quarterbacks. Even from bad teams play the entire year. Our qb carousel of the past few years has had more to do with coaching decisions than injury. The exception being Cochran of course but that really was a long term issue not as much the result of a specific hit.
Having the opportunity to do something and actually doing it are two different things.

Assuming Shirreffs is our starter week 1 and Davis takes a RS, are there any plausible scenarios where either TB or GA also RS?

The question was could they, not would they.

Reaction Score
The question was are there any plausible scenarios where one or both redshirt. In my mind at least there are no plausible scenarios where either one would be redshirted. Theoretically it could happen but I don't see any way it does in practice.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The question was are there any plausible scenarios where one or both redshirt. In my mind at least there are no plausible scenarios where either one would be redshirted. Theoretically it could happen but I don't see any way it does in practice.

The only plausible scenarios that I see where it happens are REALLY bad... but no way do they red shirt and remain at UConn, if everything goes right. I could see them retaining that year of eligibility to go play football someplace else.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A: Someone is going to hold with Feagles leaving
B: BS is not playing every snap this season

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
A: Someone is going to hold with Feagles leaving
B: BS is not playing every snap this season
Agree. So, assuming neither TB nor GA takes a RS this year, and both want to play and potentially start, I say GA has the greater likelihood of sticking with the team, although both certainlly could and may.

Why? TB must realize the team is being rebuilt around a dual threat QB paradigm and he doesn't fit the mold. I'm sure he also knows he's had some chances to prove himself, albeit under difficult circumstances, and has had few positive outcomes to show for it.

If I'm TB, feel that I'm healthy, and want to prove myself on the football field, I might decide now is the time to find a new team that needs a drop back style QB with my skills and experience, even if it meand not playing right away or even as far out as the 2016 season.

And if I value my education, as I'm sure TB does, I'd want to transfer before fall 2015 semester classes begin. On the other hand, if TB is ok with potentially playing the backup role at UConn for the next 2 yrs while contributing wherever/whenever he can, getting a great UConn degree in the process, and maybe getting a chance to prove himself again, I definitely see him staying.

On the other hand, I don't see GA leaving, not after getting a full scholly at an FBS school and top 20 university, getting married, and moving cross country. Transferring now to UH, his only other "comparable"offer, isn't likely either. That probably only leaves CSU and FCS as his potential options now.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Why did Feagles end up leaving the program anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom