Uconn not peaking yet | The Boneyard

Uconn not peaking yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Yeah I don't know how to spell peak peek pique. You get the message though. So where is UConn now that we are heading into February. Is there a team that can compete with them? Give them a game? I don't see it not now. We have 5 starters who can do anything they want. IMO all first team AAs. Kiah Saniya and Gabby have made their presence known. UConn loses nothing when theyre in the game. For every other team theyre fighting for second place. Yes there is parity in WCBB but Geno has raised the bar so high that opponents don't have a chance.

In a couple of weeks UConn faces South Carolina. A good team, and an up and coming team but lets face it they will be playing for their lives trying to keep up with UConn. No disrespect but UConn will run all over them. Im thinking 25+ and Geno will instill the mercy rule which is stop the full court press, hold the ball and let them set up their half court etc etc. Its respect. No wonder teams don't want to play UConn. There is nothing Geno can do his teams are that much better then every other team. Sundays game was a game against a good team. UConn won by 40+. The ND game UConn won at ND by 18 when trailing by 10 at one point that's a 28 pt turnaround at ND. Don't forget UConn wasn't playing like they are now and ND is a very talented and well coached team.

So where is WCBB? They are in a very good place with the exception of having to play UConn. Coach Fernandez said this was one of his better teams and the team believed they could beat UConn. They lost by 40+. Yes UConn lost Stef and Bria and that was huge but look where they are now? With the emergence of Gabby Williams and watching Kiah Stokes taking and knocking down outside shots and how bout Kia Nurse emerging and playing like an AA. It is going to be very difficult for any team to come within 20 pts of UConn unless Geno calls off the dogs and instills his mercy rule. UConn is only getting better next season with our unbelievable freshman class and transfer Natalie Butler. Can you imagine the next 4-5 years. Its only going to get better. The kids growing up the past few years and now are growing up knowing UConn. UConn is the crème of the crop. UConn is the dream. Geno is like the Babe Ruth of WCBB. I put him right next to John Wooden and Vince Lombardi with his accomplishments.

So where will UConn be when March rolls around? How much better can they get. It tuff to think that they will continue to roll like a locomotive with its throttle at full speed. For UConn fans it doesn't get much better then this.

The only chance opponents have or to look forward to is when Geno and CD retire and I don't think that will happen to soon. When Genos contract is up he has a chance to make even more money doing what he loves to do. Nah he isn't going anywhere soon.

Reaction Score
Actually I think UCONN is a long way from Peking, except maybe Saniya.

Reaction Score
(S)peeking just for myself, I think that the starting five of this team is approaching true greatness. The fact that such a statement can be confidently made (by me, anyway) at a time when Stewie's shooting touch has, at least temporarily, abandoned her is a true testament to how extraordinarily talented and balanced this team is. The eye-popping level on which Mo and Morgan are both playing, combined with Kia's aggressiveness and the reliability of KML and Stewie, however they're shooting, has transformed the team completely from its early-season identity crisis. To add to that abundance of riches, the first two off the bench make significant contributions, though in dissimilar ways. Yes, the quality dropoff after the first seven may be steep, but it doesn't matter. The gift we fans really need is to get a rematch v Stanford in the tourney.

Reaction Score
I'm on the UCONN bandwagon but please stop with the hype that SC will lose by 20+. It echoes of the Stamford hype and wondering when in the next 5 years UConn might lose a game. I remember a post that said 190 and counting.

Reaction Score
Tonyc, are you the guy who we heard on every game broadcasted that yells 'UConn,... Husky', 'Husky...UConn?

Reaction Score
I'm on the UCONN bandwagon but please stop with the hype that SC will lose by 20+. It echoes of the Stamford hype and wondering when in the next 5 years UConn might lose a game. I remember a post that said 190 and counting.
You obviously don't remember the UNC game a few years ago. A battle between the two supposed #1's, we went down and beat them by 30 points in a very loud and hostile environment. The only difference this year is we do it in our home court.

Reactions: HGN

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
(S)peeking just for myself, I think that the starting five of this team is approaching true greatness. The fact that such a statement can be confidently made (by me, anyway) at a time when Stewie's shooting touch has, at least temporarily, abandoned her is a true testament to how extraordinarily talented and balanced this team is. The eye-popping level on which Mo and Morgan are both playing, combined with Kia's aggressiveness and the reliability of KML and Stewie, however they're shooting, has transformed the team completely from its early-season identity crisis. To add to that abundance of riches, the first two off the bench make significant contributions, though in dissimilar ways. Yes, the quality dropoff after the first seven may be steep, but it doesn't matter. The gift we fans really need is to get a rematch v Stanford in the tourney.
Glad you know so much more than Geno. Looks like he has gotten his confidence back for MoJeff's backup not only to run operations late in the game for the reserves but also in stretches in the first half. So your steep dive may actually be a smaller step down. Hell, SanCho's got a better A\TO than USCar's Mitchell or ND's Loyd, so as a reserve she doesn't seem like so much of a dive.

Reaction Score
You obviously don't remember the UNC game a few years ago. A battle between the two supposed #1's, we went down and beat them by 30 points in a very loud and hostile environment. The only difference this year is we do it in our home court.

You're right but I do remember the Stamford game this season. That seems a more relevant comparison. But I hope we beat SC by more than 20 points! I just want to wait until we do that to start taking victory laps.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that we are not peaking yet, though Geno said that everyone played well yesterday. We peaked at the right time last year--after a so-so pair of games in Omaha in which Kaleena saved the season, we were very good (and great defensively) in Nashville.

Usually, we have a few players who play very well in each game and a couple whose shots are off or whose passes go awry. Kaleena is aggressive on offense again and shooting with her usual accuracy. Stewie is great and versatile. So is Morgan. She's playing as well as anyone in the country, except perhaps Moriah. MoJett's shooting is insane, as are her A/TO ratio and defense. And Kia Nurse is one of the top freshman in the country and a stellar shooter from the arc. Who knew?! Gabby skies for rebounds and buckets, and Kiah blocks seemingly every shot in the paint.

They need to build on yesterday's game. I think rebounding, team defense, and FT shooting can all get a little better. Though the team doesn't have the experienced leadership of Stef and Bria and it has that Stanford game as a blot on its resume, this team has the potential to be as great as last year's squad.

Reaction Score
I also concur that too many of these posts sound suspiciously like they did before the Stanford game. We certainly all hope for the best,but let's temper the craziness for a while.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I agree that we are not peaking yet,...
...They need to build on yesterday's game. I think rebounding, team defense, and FT shooting can all get a little better. ....

FT shooting may take care of itself. They have to be more consistent/focused on team defense and rebounding ... they have shown they know how to do these things. There's always room for fine tuning, but consistency is their weak point.

As a UConn fan, the most frustrating flaw is their tendency to hurry too much, get sloppy and force bad passes. Those things are self-inflicted and really spoil enjoyment of their superior play. .. Just calm down and let the opponent make the mistakes.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The worst thing for WCBB is that UConn lost early in the season. Methinks they would run Stanford into the ground at the moment. It took perhaps the worst defensive performance by UConn in a decade and a last second 3 to get them into overtime to lose a game where the D was bad.

UConn is playing great basketball. They are getting to be one of those GA teams where the offense is matching the defense. Translated: Very bad news for other teams. The D throttles teams and the O decides by how much. The Stanford game is the only game in the last 2 seasons UConn hasn't won by double digits. Stewie struggling is a lot of players' really good night because she can score in close when her shot is off and her passing is getting better and better. Maybe there are some teams that can defend pretty well, but not better than UConn. There are some teams that play O pretty well, but not better than UConn. If once in a while they play a team with a starter better than who we have at the same position, they can't match the other 4 starters and I guarantee they have nobody like Stokes coming off the bench. Basically, UConn is better at every position than 99% of the opponents every game. I'd be surprised to see them play another game this season as bad defensively as they played against Stanford. Only a team that can come close to matching them defensively has a shot if UConn has a team bad shooting night.

Help, I need an exorcist!! Tony C has invaded my brain.

Reaction Score
I also concur that too many of these posts sound suspiciously like they did before the Stanford game. We certainly all hope for the best,but let's temper the craziness for a while.
But then you're missing half the fun, no?

Reaction Score
Basically, UConn is better at every position than 99% of the opponents every game.

Man, you need some cool-aid! 99% in every game, every position? they should win at least 200 games without a loss. and they should just have Runner-up'ship in March/April, just vacate the champion cup for UConn.

Reaction Score
Glad you know so much more than Geno.
Since the object of your response to my glowing post was apparently just argumentative, I am compelled to wonder, as I have in the past, how you made out on reading comprehension on your SAT's. At no point did I suggest that I was in any way more knowledgeable than the coach. Is there a significant dropoff in overall talent level on this team as one goes deeper down the bench? Clearly, there is. It is a testament to the team's talent and greatness that players as good as Saniya, who would start for a great many teams, represent a dropoff, however steep or shallow, from the primary cast. I think Geno is trying his best to build up Saniya's confidence by giving her as many minutes as possible. I applaud that, and hope that his efforts in that regard are successful. For now, the jury is still out.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Man, you need some cool-aid! 99% in every game, every position? they should win at least 200 games without a loss. and they should just have Runner-up'ship in March/April, just vacate the champion cup for UConn.
Who is better than Stewart? How many players are better than Mosqueda-Lewis? How many players are better than Jefferson? How many players are better than Tuck? Those four are potentially 1st team AA. Against most teams even fresh Nurse is better than her opposite number. I stand by reality, not Kool Aid. Nobody brings a defensive ace like Stoked off the bench. As I said, once in a while there may be a player better than our player at tte same position. Not very often.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're right but I do remember the Stamford game this season. That seems a more relevant comparison. But I hope we beat SC by more than 20 points! I just want to wait until we do that to start taking victory laps.

It's Stanford not Stamford.....or are you intentionally misspelling it multiple times for the fun of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom