UConn Needs Football to Win after US News Rank Falls & Miss Connecticut Narrowly Misses Miss America | The Boneyard

UConn Needs Football to Win after US News Rank Falls & Miss Connecticut Narrowly Misses Miss America

Reaction Score
This weekend. not only did UConn lose to Boise State but two other bits of UConn-related news happened that hurt.

The latest US News & World Report ranking puts UConn at 22 among public universities. It was ranked at 18.

And 22-year-old Bridget Oei from Hebron, a very talented, smart and beautiful UConn graduate, was runner up in the Miss America competition, narrowly losing out to Miss New York.

UConn football has to win soon to cheer up UConn nation.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm 25 and from Hebron, so I should have technically gone to high school with this girl. I've never heard of her

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I guess our lame duck president decided to quit gaming the USN&WR rankings.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess our lame duck president decided to quit gaming the USN&WR rankings.
Hmmm, if our ranking goes up she's gaming the system but if it goes down, she's a quitter.
So, I guess the only way for her to success is if we maintain our ranking, or would that be stagnating?

Reaction Score

It’s more complicated than that; it’s not directly tied to State funding but funding helps with various categories.

Either way, the biggest reason for UConn’s drop was that other schools improved, not that UConn got worse.

One of the most important criteria is the % of students that return year to year and graduate in 4 years. UConn generally dominates that category, but other schools are getting better.

But most importantly, remember; the freshman entering are the most accomplished freshman class ever (SAT scores, valedictorians etc). UConn remains a great school and continues to become more and more competitive.

Reaction Score
Well its always darkest before dawn... (Well, at least I hope so...)

It certainly helps Rutgers and Syracuse that they are in real conferences making real money! We are in a terrible conference with inferior academic schools. Further, we make chicken $#!+ compared to Rutgers and Syracuse from conference revenue sharing. This has a significant impact on our ranking, IMO. It is a painful reminder of how important CR was and is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Kind of a dumb way to frame it from SuzieLax.

If the lowered funding doesn’t impact the quality of education - why wouldn’t they just continue to cut your funding since you’ve declares that spending non-impactful?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well its always darkest before dawn... (Well, at least I hope so...)

It certainly helps Rutgers and Syracuse that they are in real conferences making real money! We are in a terrible conference with inferior academic schools. Further, we make chicken $#!+ compared to Rutgers and Syracuse from conference revenue sharing. This has a significant impact on our ranking, IMO. It is a painful reminder of how important CR was and is.

Rutgers ain't making that much. We haven't received a full share of anything yet. We're still making peanuts compared to everyone else. UCONN is still an excellent school with a fine reputation.

Reaction Score
Kind of a dumb way to frame it from SuzieLax.

If the lowered funding doesn’t impact the quality of education - why wouldn’t they just continue to cut your funding since you’ve declares that spending non-impactful?

Pfff. Who cares about funding? UConn climbed the rankings because of their fierce commitment to compliance. Expect another uptick once our athletic department wins back potential applicants with their dedication to recruiting high character kids from affluent families who fit the student-athlete mold. Start thinking too much about money and we'll end up another Michigan.

Reaction Score
Rutgers ain't making that much. We haven't received a full share of anything yet. We're still making peanuts compared to everyone else. UCONN is still an excellent school with a fine reputation.

They are going to make at least 3 times what we make this year and they are in a "buy in" phase. By 20-21, I think they will be at least 5 times UConn's payout.

Reaction Score
I just watched the debate between Democrat Ned Lamont and Republican Bob Stefanowski. These are the candidates for governor. Not one word on UConn. That is disappointing, if we are trying to figure out who will support UConn academics and athletics. UConn is not the problem. UConn is part of the solution to the state's economic problems, by encouraging a 21st century economy for the state. The leaders of UConn better start explaining this to the state or the university may be put in the poorhouse.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
What killed the US News ranking (according to US News) was the cut in state funding.

I know we're not supposed to go into politics here, but the Democratic Party is killing the state with high taxes. Businesses are fleeing. Connecticut is falling behind economically. It's a bad situation.

Reaction Score
What killed the US News ranking (according to US News) was the cut in state funding.

I know we're not supposed to go into politics here, but the Democratic Party is killing the state with high taxes. Businesses are fleeing. Connecticut is falling behind economically. It's a bad situation.

I semi-agree with your premise. Dems tax too much and spend too much. However, if you think the Dems are the ones killing UConn, you are on crack. CT has a serious fiscal problem, but no Republican (other than John Rowland) ever does squat for UConn.

Reaction Score

I semi-agree with your premise. Dems tax too much and spend too much. However, if you think the Dems are the ones killing UConn, you are on crack. CT has a serious fiscal problem, but no Republican (other than John Rowland) ever does squat for UConn.

Stop: Reminder, ZERO politics outside the cesspool

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom