OT: UConn Moves into Top 20 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn Moves into Top 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Notable alumni of the University of Connecticut include WNBA star Sue Bird; George Harrison, senior vice president at Nintendo; and David Lee, who won the Nobel Prize in Physics.

no offense to Sue... but this is really the notable alum list?

Reaction Score
I don't put a lot of stock into these rankings. That being said, we are ranked ahead of both Cuse (#62) and Rutgers (#68).

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I don't put a lot of stock into these rankings. That being said, we are ranked ahead of both Cuse (#62) and Rutgers (#68).
It's good advertising... and I think it shows how far the UConn has come...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
upstater is going to shortly explain why this ranking is meaningless.

Reaction Score
We passed them both out this year. I believe we were in the mid 60's last year. That's a hell of a nice jump.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let's hope Super Sue can maintain and improve on her predecessor's accomplishments.

Reaction Score

They're not meaningless. They are just bad. They are meaningful to a lot of people, however.

Reaction Score
Anyone notice that Rutgers has dropped 20 spots or so in the last decade.

Interesting ain't it?

Reaction Score

Interesting ain't it?

Problems with budgets.

I think however that UConn's rise is something that cannot be ignored either. I just posted in the basketball board about this. UConn's graduation rate in 2010 was 81% (WOW! I must say I contributed to that ;)) and their freshman retention rate is 93% (that's easily in the top 1-2% of universities in the country).

It's also important to note that UMass is now considered the 3rd best public school in New England. UVM just overtook them. UMass has been declining since UConn took the #1 spot 13 years ago.

And why is this important...because people pay attention...and not any people, but parents of children who are about to send their kids to school. UConn also made it on a list this year "A+ schools for B students" in this report, saying that they offer some of the best education for students who don't necessarily have the grades to get in more difficult schools.

UConn is seen as a school with low cost and high rewards. That's why it's skyrocketing up these lists. UConn easily in the next decade or two could be considered among one of the best in the nation. They're trending in the right direction and show no signs of stopping with Herbst at the helm.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Interesting ain't it?

I think the reasons for Rutgers' problem is that they actually take a big chunk of their student body from New Jersey. That can't help their rankings. I heard the original title of Jersey Shore was "Honors Dorm at Rutgers".

Reaction Score

yeah I love that Debate.

But, I am also pleased that we have inched ahead of Snooki U.

Reaction Score
no offense to Sue... but this is really the notable alum list?

Surprising how Robert Diamond (CEO of Barclay's Capital) is not mentioned all too much, even though he got his MBA from UConn.

Still prominent alumni though.

Reaction Score
I think the knock on these rankings is more that they don't always show what the "best" schools are, really what they're more useful for is publicity. Sure, it gives a pretty close reading, but if I'm going to school for engineering, I'm not going to go to the #1 school, I'm going to go to the #5 school. If I'm going to school for film, I'm not going to go to the #1 school, I'm going to go to the #25 or so school. Nonetheless, great for the university.

I always get a kick out of the notable alumni section at my school, BU, when they list Bill O'Reilly next to Howard Stern. Opposite ends of the spectrum there, to say the least.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It's good advertising... and I think it shows how far the UConn has come...
Have we graduated to the same level as "THE Ohio State University"???

Reaction Score

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
338-uconn wtf should be top 200ish considering other schools near them in other rankings.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I feel sorry for the stellar student whose parents send him/her to U. Chicago because it's number 5 rather than a school much further down the list. You know it happens.
Aren't they still good for physics?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I feel sorry for the stellar student whose parents send him/her to U. Chicago because it's number 5 rather than a school much further down the list. You know it happens.

Have a look at the world rankings: http://www.usnews.com/education/wor...ings/top-400-universities-in-the-world?page=2

Don't jibe with the nationals at all.

My brother was a prof at University of Chicago and I'm guessing he would disagree with your statement just mildly. But he's moved on so maybe he wouldn't care. I'll tell you that UC's MBA program is top notch, particularly in the finance area.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Have a look at the world rankings: http://www.usnews.com/education/wor...ings/top-400-universities-in-the-world?page=2

Don't jibe with the nationals at all.

That is a strange statement. U of Chicago is a fantastic school for both grad and undergrad. I will acknowledge that there is a major freakshow quality among the undergrads, but it is still a top university. I wouldn't put it #5, but it would be Top 10.

Reaction Score
UNC-Chapel Hill? being 57th...

WTF are they known for! besides athletics.

That may sound offensive and crap but it makes no sense!

Reaction Score
The 338 ranking is irrational! Perhaps President Herbst can address that....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom