uconn mentioned Bill King this morning | The Boneyard

uconn mentioned Bill King this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BK: "Will uconn or cincy be at the top of the list should expansion pick up? They should be.
I do think that Uconn and Cincy have missed the boat though. Louisville may have grabbed the last seat. I think Uconn and Cincy will be in the American for a while"

Reaction Score
I can't imagine why posters are staying away from the boneyard.

Reaction Score
It's not the first time Bill King (and others) have said CR is "done for a long time" and "insert team name here got the last seat for a while". Seems it is said after every round of realignment. Truth is, the talking heads, bloggers, tweeters, and message board posters don't have any idea. They have a belief of what they think will happen, and then frame the discussion to suppor their pov.

Reaction Score
What does an ex-women's tennis player know about college basketball?

Maybe nothing, but I bet she watches football just like the rest of country. Although, she will never admit that men are better at it.

Reaction Score
It's not the first time Bill King (and others) have said CR is "done for a long time" and "insert team name here got the last seat for a while". Seems it is said after every round of realignment. Truth is, the talking heads, bloggers, tweeters, and message board posters don't have any idea. They have a belief of what they think will happen, and then frame the discussion to suppor their pov.
Problem is...you say it enough times and there will eventually be someone who HAS missed the boat....

Reaction Score

Agree and a few quotes you can just fill in for any conference commissioner of your choosing who is not going to publicly declare their intentions regarding expansion:
"We are monitoring the landscape", "We have no plan to expand at this time", "We are positioned to operate with X number of teams for a long time", etc.

A quote attributed to Jim Delany by former Purdue Coach Tiller that, if correct, at least provides some insight regarding the thinking of the B1G and whether a university might be considered for membership.
“Delany said: ‘You know, the presidents have told me we’re not going to add a university to our conference unless that university makes us a better conference. We’re not in the business of making it a better university,”
http://www.jconline.com/article/201...-still-unafraid-speak-his-mind?nclick_check=1

If I may channel Jim Delany and rephrase it.
"My fellow college leaders, if you wish to join the B1G, ask not what the B1G can do for you, ask what you can do for the B1G".

Reaction Score
Agree and a few quotes you can just fill in for any conference commissioner of your choosing who is not going to publicly declare their intentions regarding expansion:
"We are monitoring the landscape", "We have no plan to expand at this time", "We are positioned to operate with X number of teams for a long time", etc.

A quote attributed to Jim Delany by former Purdue Coach Tiller that, if correct, at least provides some insight regarding the thinking of the B1G and whether a university might be considered for membership.
“Delany said: ‘You know, the presidents have told me we’re not going to add a university to our conference unless that university makes us a better conference. We’re not in the business of making it a better university,”
http://www.jconline.com/article/201...-still-unafraid-speak-his-mind?nclick_check=1

"My fellow college leaders, if you wish to join the B1G, ask not what the B1G can do for you, ask what you can do for the B1G".
Well they (Cablevision) just moved the BigTen Network to a premium level, and it will be a cold day in hell before I waste a nickel on it. The ONLY way would be if UConn were part of it. We all know it isn't about universities.

Reaction Score
Well they (Cablevision) just moved the BigTen Network to a premium level, and it will be a cold day in hell before I waste a nickel on it. The ONLY way would be if UConn were part of it. We all know it isn't about universities.

I admire your resolve and certainly understand your decision. As one of your fellow Huskies stated, "it's funny how much our interest in college football has led to interest in ... media markets, population trends, television contracts, Internet media platforms"; certainly these are playing an ever larger role in the minds of conference commissioners and university presidents in making decisions about conference realignment.

Although I support UConn to the B1G, quite honestly, it is unfortunate the era of the 8 to 10 team conference has passed. I would really enjoy the 10 team traditional Big Ten with a round robin schedule.
I imagine a Big East (10 team football) similar to this would be favored by a number of you: Boston College, Maryland, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers, UConn, Virginia Tech, West Virginia.

Anyway back to the reality that is conference realignment circa 2013 ...

pj

Reaction Score
Although I support UConn to the B1G, quite honestly, it is unfortunate the era of the 8 to 10 team conference has passed. I would really enjoy the 10 team traditional Big Ten with a round robin schedule.
I imagine a Big East (10 team football) similar to this would be favored by a number of you: Boston College, Maryland, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers, UConn, Virginia Tech, West Virginia.

This would have been the ideal UConn conference for me, and I'm sure B1G fans generally will regret losing that 10 team original group with frequent games against Michigan Ohio State etc. There's nothing like geographic intimacy for rivalry. You can go to away games, you know the opposing team's fans, and generally the schools and fans are culturally similar.

But, that is lost forever, and if we have to choose between ACC and B1G, I'm all for the B1G.

Reaction Score

Well, we sure bring a heck of a lot more to the table than Rutgers in athletics and with success comes a rabid fanbase. We also bring loads of TV sets and a land grant university that is still rising in the academic world and can be very influential in the northeast. What more can you ask for? We are one of the only 15 schools who play FBS football and D1 hockey. The writing has to be on the wall.

Technically, conferences have always been expanding. We've just hit the point where superconferences are now the norm.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BK: "Will uconn or cincy be at the top of the list should expansion pick up? They should be.
I do think that Uconn and Cincy have missed the boat though. Louisville may have grabbed the last seat. I think Uconn and Cincy will be in the American for a while"

So now we're down to be considered equally with Cincy. Great.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

We are below Cincy

- they played football longer at this level
-they will have 40k seats and a pro stadium down the street
-on campus stadium
- more BCS bids
- Ohio recruiting
- creative paw print logo
-new unis all the time
- they care about football in general
We are behind them.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We are below Cincy

- they played football longer at this level
-they will have 40k seats and a pro stadium down the street
-on campus stadium
- more BCS bids
- Ohio recruiting
- creative paw print logo
-new unis all the time
- they care about football in general
We are behind them.
Depends on the conference. Big 12 we're behind them but that's mostly a geographic issue. They'll never get a B1G invite and we have a shot down the road. ACC? Toss up as who the heck knows what will drive them next go round. All the things you mentioned will matter little. Instead it will be which conference expands that will dictate our fate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Depends on the conference. Big 12 we're behind them but that's mostly a geographic issue. They'll never get a B1G invite and we have a shot down the road. ACC? Toss up as who the heck knows what will drive them next go round. All the things you mentioned will matter little. Instead it will be which conference expands that will dictate our fate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
No, it'll be based on which school has a paw print for a logo.

Actually Dan is right about most of the other bullet points. The main one is the last one, but it's not whether you care about football, it's about the perception that the school cares about football, and that perception comes from winning. Back when UConn was flirting with the top 25-top 15, the Rent was packed and loud, and if we had sustained that success it would have put us right there with Cincy perception-wise. Right now we are behind them perception-wise but it's a gap that optimistically could be closed in two years if P can turn it around ASAP, but it'll be longer if P gets fired and has to be replaced for 2014 or if Tuberville turns UC into WVU. One neutralizing factor is that fans from other conferences will continue to discount Cincy as much as UConn because of the AAC tag.

Reaction Score
And Cinci also has a long history of playing OOC games against B1G teams. If football is all that matters we are behind them. I don't even think that is debatable. Just like we were behind LV.

That's why I'm not really that mad. I guess I'm mad that it worked out this way. But given that it did people that are pissed that we didn't magically leap frog teams with long histories had over optimistic expectations as far as I'm concerned.

5 years ago we would have expected to lose out to LV and the like. What changed? A BCS bid with an 8-4 record? Was a lot of fun but how does that really change anything? It didn't.

I'm confident in the long term. In the short term I will go to the games and have fun.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This would have been the ideal UConn conference for me, and I'm sure B1G fans generally will regret losing that 10 team original group with frequent games against Michigan Ohio State etc. There's nothing like geographic intimacy for rivalry. You can go to away games, you know the opposing team's fans, and generally the schools and fans are culturally similar.

But, that is lost forever, and if we have to choose between ACC and B1G, I'm all for the B1G.
I'm hopeful that a pod system in mega-conferences can restore it, somewhat.

Reaction Score

With (dis)respect to the ACC down the road, Cincy is a threat to UConn, especially as Ohio State will make sure that they never get a B1G invite. Also, don’t underestimate UNCC. Charlotte is a major population center, is a good recruiting area for football, and if politics force UNC and NC State to support UNCC, they could be a threat to UConn getting into the ACC. A wild card is West Virginia if the XII can’t or won’t find a eastern travel partner for them and staying in the XII becomes financially impossible. I would think that the ACC, now that they are free of academic requirements, would happily take them in.
So to summarize, the sooner the ACC invites UConn the better for UConn fans.

Reaction Score
Technically, conferences have always been expanding. We've just hit the point where superconferences are now the norm.

A column from USA today. A review piece more than anything but this nugget was tucked in there relevant to your point:
But at the Associated Press Sports Editors convention last week in Detroit, Michigan State athletics director Mark Hollis was asked how many members the Big Ten would have in five years. Sixteen, he replied. Though he quickly retreated to 14, which will be the number when Maryland and Rutgers join in 2014, he was only expressing a fairly common sentiment.
Grants of rights and richer TV deals and in some cases geography have increased the difficulty of expanding, but there's apparent appetite for more. Tangentially, there's the gathering potential for an even larger realignment to an entirely separate subdivision, where the five power conferences formalize the gap between the haves and have-nots.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ference-realignment-what-to-look-for/2476689/

Reaction Score
A column from USA today. A review piece more than anything but this nugget was tucked in there relevant to your point:
But at the Associated Press Sports Editors convention last week in Detroit, Michigan State athletics director Mark Hollis was asked how many members the Big Ten would have in five years. Sixteen, he replied. Though he quickly retreated to 14, which will be the number when Maryland and Rutgers join in 2014, he was only expressing a fairly common sentiment.
Grants of rights and richer TV deals and in some cases geography have increased the difficulty of expanding, but there's apparent appetite for more. Tangentially, there's the gathering potential for an even larger realignment to an entirely separate subdivision, where the five power conferences formalize the gap between the haves and have-nots.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ference-realignment-what-to-look-for/2476689/

Doesn't he know about GORs?

Reaction Score
16 schools in 5 years? Not many options left. I think either UConn and Kansas or Kansas and Oklahoma. I'd have to think UConn and Kansas are far more likely. I'll miss the Hockey East.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Could easliy mean 15 and 16 are known and waiting some outside event. Such as the stillbirth of the ACC Network.

Reminds me of internal promotional interviews. Candidates not picked wonder why the weren't because the nailed the interview. I say to them, your interview is constantly ongoing. Not just on the day of the interview.

Has me wondering, what is UConn doing today to get out of this mess?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
16 schools in 5 years? Not many options left. I think either UConn and Kansas or Kansas and Oklahoma. I'd have to think UConn and Kansas are far more likely. I'll miss the Hockey East.

In the extremely unlikely event UConn is invited to the Big 10, I won't care at all about Hockey East (sorry UNH).

UConn's best shot to get into a major conference is via the Big 12, which would be preferable to the ACC IMO. They only have 10 members and though Bowlsby has been adamant about 10 being a good number for them, West Virginia is fairly isolated...adding UConn and Cincinnati can assuage that issue.

Reaction Score
Could easliy mean 15 and 16 are known and waiting some outside event. Such as the stillbirth of the ACC Network.

Reminds me of internal promotional interviews. Candidates not picked wonder why the weren't because the nailed the interview. I say to them, your interview is constantly ongoing. Not just on the day of the interview.

Has me wondering, what is UConn doing today to get out of this mess?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Our AD is monitoring the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member