OT: - UConn Mens Lacrosse Program | The Boneyard

OT: UConn Mens Lacrosse Program

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Normally I would say this is a great idea. But not in our current budget/subsidy situation.

Reaction Score
Can we please get a women's gymnastics team instead? There are millions of girls that are very good gymnasts with parents that have spent a lot of money on gymnastics with no college to get a scholarship from because so few Universities offer the sport. Asking for a friend.

Reaction Score
Tell Mr. Werth he can fund his lacrosse program if he also builds us an on campus hockey arena

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It sounds great, but aren't there Title 9 implications with an additional men's program? Any new program is likely to be on the women's side, I would think...

Reaction Score
It sounds great, but aren't there Title 9 implications with an additional men's program? Any new program is likely to be on the women's side, I would think...

Wouldn’t necessarily have to be an additional team(s)... it can be additional scholarships to existing teams.

Reaction Score
He’s clearly not offering to fund the program - he’s pointing the AD towards Fairfield County to raise the $10-15m.

Well he decided to put it into the middle of his speech discussing his gift (a very nice gift, by the way).

All I'm saying is, if he wants to publicly pressure the administration like that, he can put his money where his mouth is.

Reaction Score
Well he decided to put it into the middle of his speech discussing his gift (a very nice gift, by the way).

All I'm saying is, if he wants to publicly pressure the administration like that, he can put his money where his mouth is.

I think the Werth Family has more than admirably put their money where their mouths are over the years in support of UConn and UConn Athletics...

Reaction Score
I think the Werth Family has more than admirably put their money where their mouths are over the years in support of UConn...

Right, I totally agree.

So he wants a lacrosse program.

Cool. I think UConn would be pretty darn good really fast.

Should AD Dave make starting a lacrosse program a priority for the athletic department? Honest question.

Reaction Score
Right, I totally agree.

So he wants a lacrosse program.

Cool. I think UConn would be pretty darn good really fast.

Should AD Dave make starting a lacrosse program a priority for the athletic department? Honest question.

It’s all about the dollars - if Werth’s challenge to wealthy donors in Fairfield County to step up and fund a Men’s Lax program (and the endowed on-going associated collateral costs) came to fruition - I can’t see AD Dave turning it down. Should it be a priority - nope.

But $30m in donations gives PW a bit of latitude to say whatever comes to his mind.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We need a multi billionaire to, uh, 'fund' UCONN's move to a P5 conference. There's always a number...

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
As someone who played club lax while at uconn, this would be awesome. I would like to think we would be able to recruit well being so close to so many high school powers. unfortunately, doesnt appear to be financially feasible at this time.

Reaction Score
Connecticut has the D3 and D1 national champion and UConn isn't one of them. smh. It's time to get UConn a D1 lacrosse team.

However, mad props to Wesleyan. Almost their entire team is CT/NY based. John Raba is a legend.

Reaction Score
Well, now that you brought back this thread. Article from Saturday in the New Haven Register.

“It’s not a priority at this time from the standpoint that we’ve got a lot other things we’re dealing with,” UConn athletic director David Benedict said. “Obviously, whether it’s sports sponsorship or budget, we’ve got to get our situation in order before we start thinking about adding sports.

“I do think if you were ever going to consider adding a sport at UConn, that one is at the top of the list.”

Jeff Jacobs: Lacrosse at UConn makes sense, but don’t hold your breath

Reaction Score
It really is worth the investment... CT is loaded with the best high school players in the country

Reaction Score
It really is worth the investment... CT is loaded with the best high school players in the country

I looked at runner up Duke's roster...they have 23 kids combined from NY, NJ, Mass, RI and Connecticut.

That's a lot of talent coming from that area.

Reaction Score
So what men's sport do you drop to make room? Because we don't have the money otherwise.

Reaction Score
So what men's sport do you drop to make room? Because we don't have the money otherwise.

Swimming/Diving - 27 on roster
Golf - 12 on roster

I don’t wanna cut any program, but if it were me I would cut these 2. I think the benefit of adding lacrosse would outweigh these programs and generate more ticket sales and program prestige with the CT/New England recruiting hotbed.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Swimming/Diving - 27 on roster
Golf - 12 on roster

I don’t wanna cut any program, but if it were me I would cut these 2. I think the benefit of adding lacrosse would outweigh these programs and generate more ticket sales and program prestige with the CT/New England recruiting hotbed.
How many athletic scholarships are used by those 2 sports? I would guess very few. To do lacrosse right, UConn would have to give out a number of full rides, and then match them on the women's side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom