UConn men’s basketball players learn important life lessons | The Boneyard

UConn men’s basketball players learn important life lessons

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: UConn men’s basketball players learn important life lessons from Chris Herren and Maurice Clarett

“We’re building something,” Hurley said. “We’re trying to build a mindset. Going into year two, rebuilding an historic program that has more championships than anyone the past 20 years, you lose if your organization isn’t strong enough in a variety of ways. It’s just having a program, trying to put together a talented team every year, trying to build a strong organization with the right type of approach to personal development. I’m a high school coach by nature. I didn’t come up in the college game. I feel like that’s a huge part of my responsibility with these guys.”

Reaction Score
I think the article does a nice job laying out the fact that, basically, it is all about winning but you can, at the same time, take care of the young men in your program and set them up for more than their four years with you. Dan spent nine years at St. Benedict’s, and the mission and purpose of that school has stuck with him. Father Edwin Leahy is a special person, and everyone’s better off after meeting and knowing him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I suppose it can't hurt but all this stuff is basically happyhorsesh**. I doubt it moves the needle at all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I suppose it can't hurt but all this stuff is basically happyhorsesh**. I doubt it moves the needle at all.
Disagree. It's basically saying you guys are more than hired hands I care about you as individuals, Over time it builds culture. I like Hurley's approach.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more. A number of college football and basketball athletes come from less than ideal situations, and being a part of a family as strong as a college athletic team is going to benefit them.

Regardless of that, of how one grew up, spending that much time with a select amount of people day in and day out is going to have a tremendous effect on your life. A good coach is one that recognizes that and builds a culture. The guys coming in are 17, 18 years old. They're children.

My four years at UConn played a large part in shaping who I am now. To suggest that these athletes are somehow immune to that is a little bit nuts. Then again, we have a problem with dehumanizing these kids around this board, and lose sight of the fact that they are children and young-men working to improve their lives.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think many if not most coaches try to guide their players in a positive direction. Coach DH seemed to make an effort to work with KO’s players. I believe that caring about your players is the most important part of coaching but I get the impression many fans of big time college sports teams care more about winning than anything else.

You could be an aw shucks really nice guy but if you aren’t involved with helping them academically and claim you didn’t know (yeah right) your players were funneled into bogus African Studies what does that say especially since the university did nothing about it and the fans in the state don’t consider it a problem.

There are two things I take issue with DH in this interview. First, he’s a Division 1 college coach who at times has to remember these kids still may have high school maturity and react accordingly. And being around one of the greatest high school coaches of all time it will help him relate better to players. I know this is what he meant. Most people in this forum know this. But the casual fan will wonder why UConn is giving so much money to a guy who calls himself a high school coach.

But that’s a trivial concern as far as I’m concerned. Far more importantly I wish he would have put some meat in the interview and explained his protocols for scooter racing.

pj

Reaction Score
There are two things I take issue with Dan Hurley in this interview. First, he’s a Division 1 college coach who at times has to remember these kids still may have high school maturity and react accordingly. And being around one of the greatest high school coaches of all time it will help him relate better to players. I know this is what he meant. Most people in this forum know this. But the casual fan will wonder why UConn is giving so much money to a guy who calls himself a high school coach.

I think most people will find it endearing -- especially in Connecticut where fans remember getting a pretty good coach out of Dedham High School.

Reaction Score
I think many if not most coaches try to guide their players in a positive direction. Coach Dan Hurley seemed to make an effort to work with KO’s players. I believe that caring about your players is the most important part of coaching but I get the impression many fans of big time college sports teams care more about winning than anything else.

You could be an aw shucks really nice guy but if you aren’t involved with helping them academically and claim you didn’t know (yeah right) your players were funneled into bogus African Studies what does that say especially since the university did nothing about it and the fans in the state don’t consider it a problem.

There are two things I take issue with Dan Hurley in this interview. First, he’s a Division 1 college coach who at times has to remember these kids still may have high school maturity and react accordingly. And being around one of the greatest high school coaches of all time it will help him relate better to players. I know this is what he meant. Most people in this forum know this. But the casual fan will wonder why UConn is giving so much money to a guy who calls himself a high school coach.

I’m not sure I understand your interpretation of what he said regarding being a “high school coach by nature.” That doesn’t have anything to do with his dad or St. Anthony. His experience at St. Benedict’s shapes how he sees his role- he was a teacher and a coach there. It’s a special school with an important mission, and he was involved with a lot of aspects of his players and students’ lives. It’s not necessarily about relating to players, it’s how you see your role as a coach. His view isn’t unique and is certainly shared by other college coaches, but I do appreciate it nonetheless.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I understand your interpretation of what he said regarding being a “high school coach by nature.” That doesn’t have anything to do with his dad or St. Anthony. His experience at St. Benedict’s shapes how he sees his role- he was a teacher and a coach there. It’s a special school with an important mission, and he was involved with a lot of aspects of his players and students’ lives. It’s not necessarily about relating to players, it’s how you see your role as a coach. His view isn’t unique and is certainly shared by other college coaches, but I do appreciate it nonetheless.

You are not alone. What Hurley meant is totally clear.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Like the idea and concept but think Caron could have done a good job plus he's a Husky

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Did not know that. I will casually eat humble pie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom