UCONN maybe left at the wayside with BYU | The Boneyard

UCONN maybe left at the wayside with BYU

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I would think BYU out helps us. It's hard to imagine that they would simultaneously go that far west and this far east.

Reaction Score
I would think BYU out helps us. It's hard to imagine that they would simultaneously go that far west and this far east.
It hurts us. Having BYU included means there are three candidates that some or everyone are interested in, which increases the likelihood that they go to 14. If BYU is out, it means most agree on Cincinnati, Texas uses their influence to get Houston, and they stop. It also means if they went to 14 without BYU and with UConn, team 14 could be even more unappealing to some members as well as the networks if it were a Memphis or UCF. If BYU were out and Texas wasn't pushing so hard (presumably) for Houston, we'd be in excellent position. As it stands, we're not.

Reaction Score
It hurts us. Having BYU included means there are three candidates that some or everyone are interested in, which increases the likelihood that they go to 14. If BYU is out, it means most agree on Cincinnati, Texas uses their influence to get Houston, and they stop. It also means if they went to 14 without BYU and with UConn, team 14 could be even more unappealing to some members as well as the networks if it were a Memphis or UCF. If BYU were out and Texas wasn't pushing so hard (presumably) for Houston, we'd be in excellent position. As it stands, we're not.
just don't see how an eastern expansion happens without Uconn. tomorrow the pundits could say the Big 12 is going west.
but just don't see how they could come east with Cincy (assuming Houston is in), then go with two of UCF, Memphis or USF...
We're also putting a lot of stock in the Houston comments. Uconn and Cincy would be a very easy and non-controversial addition with room for two more down the road.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
UH and Cinci further dilutes non-Texas schools voting power. It would be a non-starter to me.

Without BYU, the only national brand is UConn.

Reaction Score
I think we are all selling ourselves short. I don't think the Big 12 is good enough for Uconn. Yes, football has a way to go, understood, but I feel we need to be patient. The big ten, ACC is where we belong. Our other sports are solid!! Those two conferences makes Uconn football appealing and they will be glad to add every other sport we play. Rutgers can't compete in the big ten, maybe they get dropped, who knows. I am anxious to get into a better conference just like most, and all of you make very good points. I just think we need to get into the right conference for us. And my feeling is the Big 12 is not good enough for Uconn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think we are all selling ourselves short. I don't think the Big 12 is good enough for Uconn. Yes, football has a way to go, understood, but I feel we need to be patient. The big ten, ACC is where we belong. Our other sports are solid!! Those two conferences makes Uconn football appealing and they will be glad to add every other sport we play. Rutgers can't compete in the big ten, maybe they get dropped, who knows. I am anxious to get into a better conference just like most, and all of you make very good points. I just think we need to get into the right conference for us. And my feeling is the Big 12 is not good enough for Uconn.

:rolleyes: It's good enough for Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma. It's better than any league we've ever been in, overall.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter at this point which is the better fit, if someone throws you a life raft you take it. There are no guarantees a B1G or ACC invite ever come no matter what twitterati rumors say. Even if the B12 ends up being temporary after a decade it blows up its still a better option than rotting in the AAC.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I disagree. I think UH only gets in with a 4 team addition. If it is only two, UH is not one of them. So if BYU is out, it makes a two team addition of UConn and Cinci more obvious.

Reaction Score

Go away.

Reaction Score
just don't see how an eastern expansion happens without Uconn. tomorrow the pundits could say the Big 12 is going west.
but just don't see how they could come east with Cincy (assuming Houston is in), then go with two of UCF, Memphis or USF...
We're also putting a lot of stock in the Houston comments. Uconn and Cincy would be a very easy and non-controversial addition with room for two more down the road.
It happens simply: Texas wants their campus expansion into Houston which UH is blocking. They push to get UH into the B12, UH drops block, Texas gets what Texas wants. Other schools agree that Cincinnati, with a better football program than us, sufficient academics, sufficient media market size, sufficient fan base, and less travel gets in over us. It's really that simple. UConn is not some kind of Notre Dame school sitting out here in the open that is some obvious golden goose that every other conference manically has passed over. We have a LOT of strengths, but from the B12's perspective, it is not a slam dunk fit by any means.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I think UH only gets in with a 4 team addition. If it is only two, UH is not one of them. So if BYU is out, it makes a two team addition of UConn and Cinci more obvious.
This only happens if Texas's support for Houston is public only, but privately they're willing to leave them out. My comments are under the assumption that privately Texas is pushing for UH as hard as they are publicly. If UT is indeed not pushing for them privately, we have a different ballgame, if BYU's honor code is deemed to be a pill they can't swallow. Then UC and UConn becomes a VERY viable possibility. But if Texas in reality wants Houston as bad as they're saying in public, Texas gets Houston.

CL82

Reaction Score
It happens simply: Texas wants their campus expansion into Houston which UH is blocking. They push to get UH into the B12, UH drops block, Texas gets what Texas wants. Other schools agree that Cincinnati, with a better football program than us, sufficient academics, sufficient media market size, sufficient fan base, and less travel gets in over us. It's really that simple. UConn is not some kind of Notre Dame school sitting out here in the open that is some obvious golden goose that every other conference manically has passed over. We have a LOT of strengths, but from the B12's perspective, it is not a slam dunk fit by any means.
If BYU is off the table the Big 12 goes back to the eastern strategy preferred by FOX. Non Texas schools won't bite for a one for one Texas/non-Texas split. The price of another Texas team is dilution of the Texas block and a short term money grab. So look for Cinci/UConn and two other ACC schools. If it were me I'd go Cinci, UConn, Houston and UCF, with Memphis as a dark horse to take UCF's slot.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This only happens if Texas's support for Houston is public only, but privately they're willing to leave them out. My comments are under the assumption that privately Texas is pushing for UH as hard as they are publicly. If UT is indeed not pushing for them privately, we have a different ballgame, if BYU's honor code is deemed to be a pill they can't swallow. Then UC and UConn becomes a VERY viable possibility. But if Texas in reality wants Houston as bad as they're saying in public, Texas gets Houston.

I think UT hates the idea of UH in the Big XII. They despise UH. Politically, there is pressure to help them, but I am convinced that the entire rest of the Big 12 doesn't want Houston, certainly not as part of a two team add, shifting more influence to the state of TX.

Reaction Score
If BYU is off the table the Big 12 goes back to the eastern strategy preferred by FOX. Non Texas schools won't bite for a one for one Texas/non-Texas split. The price of another Texas team is dilution of the Texas block and a short term money grab. So look for Cinci/UConn and two other ACC schools. If it were me I'd go Cinci, UConn, Houston and UCF, with Memphis as a dark horse to take UCF's slot.
Texas gets what Texas wants. Texas doesn't care what Fox says. This isn't the ACC or B1G we're talking about where they have eastern strategies or media market dynamics that they pay attention to. If BYU is off the table, Texas gets Houston if they want them. They have enough sway to completely torpedo expansion to the point that no one gets in. We all need to stop interpreting this in terms of what we think should happen, or what our rose-colored glasses make us think would be "best", but in terms of what the B12 thinks based on how they operate. That conference operates based on what Texas, and to a slightly lesser extent OU, want. Then they take into consideration what the others think and what the network thinks. If Texas wants Houston bad enough, Texas gets Houston. No other league in the country has one school that so powerfully controls what an entire conference does. The influence of Bob Bowlsby in comparison to Swofford and Delaney are night and day.

CL82

Reaction Score
Texas gets what Texas wants. Texas doesn't care what Fox says. This isn't the ACC or B1G we're talking about where they have eastern strategies or media market dynamics that they pay attention to. If BYU is off the table, Texas gets Houston if they want them. They have enough sway to completely torpedo expansion to the point that no one gets in. We all need to stop interpreting this in terms of what we think should happen, or what our rose-colored glasses make us think would be "best", but in terms of what the B12 thinks based on how they operate. That conference operates based on what Texas, and to a slightly lesser extent OU, want. Then they take into consideration what the others think and what the network thinks. If Texas wants Houston bad enough, Texas gets Houston. No other league in the country has one school that so powerfully controls what an entire conference does. The influence of Bob Bowlsby in comparison to Swofford and Delaney are night and day.
Mmm, we just view this through different lenses. I don't see the non-Texas schools further diluting their vote. The price for Houston is at least 3 non-Texas schools. If this is a money grab, then going to 4 makes the most sense anyway.

Reaction Score
Mmm, we just view this through different lenses. I don't see the non-Texas schools further diluting their vote. The price for Houston is at least 3 non-Texas schools. If this is a money grab, then going to 4 makes the most sense anyway.
I agree the price for UH would be three non-Texas schools - but that would have to include BYU. Those three schools cannot be Cincinnati (seen as a good addition by most/all), UConn (seen as a good addition by some, a hassle for travel and/or poor football by others), and one of Memphis/UCF (seen by OU and/or Texas as unacceptable) - especially if the networks are pushing back so hard against four teams, in favor of two. That's why my thoughts are if BYU is off the table, it makes the four-team compromise extremely difficult to arrive at. I know we all can't stand the Twitter rumorers, but Flug's point about getting to four to get to two makes complete sense here - ONLY if it includes BYU. If BYU is out, and the networks are pushing hard for two instead of four, and Texas is threatening to torpedo the whole process if they don't get what they want (Houston), I cannot see the rest of the league putting their foot down to admit UConn instead of Houston. Texas is more important to the B12 than UConn is. But I agree with you that if BYU is in the picture, Texas can push for Houston as they apparently want, OU and the rest of the league can push back and say OK, but we need UC, BYU and team 14. In that scenario, we have a shot. This all gets back to Texas's support for Houston. If it's truly strong, we've got a problem. If it's not, we have a better chance.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I agree the price for UH would be three non-Texas schools - but that would have to include BYU. Those three schools cannot be Cincinnati (seen as a good addition by most/all), UConn (seen as a good addition by some, a hassle for travel and/or poor football by others), and one of Memphis/UCF (seen by OU and/or Texas as unacceptable) - especially if the networks are pushing back so hard against four teams, in favor of two. That's why my thoughts are if BYU is off the table, it makes the four-team compromise extremely difficult to arrive at. I know we all can't stand the Twitter rumorers, but Flug's point about getting to four to get to two makes complete sense here - ONLY if it includes BYU. If BYU is out, and the networks are pushing hard for two instead of four, and Texas is threatening to torpedo the whole process if they don't get what they want (Houston), I cannot see the rest of the league putting their foot down to admit UConn instead of Houston. Texas is more important to the B12 than UConn is. But I agree with you that if BYU is in the picture, Texas can push for Houston as they apparently want, OU and the rest of the league can push back and say OK, but we need UC, BYU and team 14. In that scenario, we have a shot. This all gets back to Texas's support for Houston. If it's truly strong, we've got a problem. If it's not, we have a better chance.

I will stick with my prediction. UConn, UC, Houston and UCF. The 8 schools not named UT or OU are realizing that they can do whatever they want, and must prepare for a world without the other two.

Reaction Score
I will stick with my prediction. UConn, UC, Houston and UCF. The 8 schools not named UT or OU are realizing that they can do whatever they want, and must prepare for a world without the other two.
I hope you're right, but I don't see it happening. Three plus BYU - that I can see happening. Unfortunately even in that scenario, I could see the four being UC, UH, BYU, and any one of UConn/UCF/Memphis.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Greg Abbott is in favor of the Big 12 adding Houston.

This will prove to be startlingly similar to the pressure that Mark Warner brought to bear on Virginia to ensure that the ACC took Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score
"BYU, you're great. You're like our favorite candidate. Seriously! We're not good enough for you. It's not you, it's us."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom