UConn may have to reconfigure its independent football schedule if season is shortened, or Power Five schools limit nonconference games | The Boneyard

UConn may have to reconfigure its independent football schedule if season is shortened, or Power Five schools limit nonconference games

Reaction Score
Nothing that hasn't been discussed in other threads here but those have wandered/mutated every which way so...

>>“We’re planning for all contingencies,” Athletic Director David Benedict told The Courant on Friday. “The most important thing is, we don’t even know if we’re going to have a season yet. We’re certainly planning like we’re going to have a season, but that has to be determined first. That’s going to determine how we move forward.”

There has been speculation that college football could start late and play a shortened season with travel limited, in which conference opponents eliminate nonconference games or play only within their region. That could lead to independents playing more games against one another, which could mean Notre Dame or Brigham Young appearing on UConn’s schedule. There have been such discussions, Benedict said.

UConn, having left the American Athletic Conference to join the Big East in most other sports, is competing as an independent in FBS football, and has scheduled games with a number of high-profile programs, including five from Power Five conferences. Illinois and Indiana (Big Ten), Virginia and North Carolina (ACC) and Mississippi (SEC) are on the 2020 schedule.

“I have not received a single call from anyone on our schedule telling me, ‘Hey, you need to prepare for us not playing our game,’ or ‘We need out of our game,’" Benedict said. “If that is where we land, there’s going to be effort and conversation within the independents to coalesce and play each other, but that’s not where we are right now.”<<

Reaction Score
If ND ends up playing independent teams to fill their non acc schedule
Would it surprise anybody that they would all be home games for them?
Not that I would mind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not that I wouldn’t be ok with playing them
By far the greatest UConn football game I ever attended was in south bend. Brings back some unbelivable memories. Jimmy Clausen getting punched in the back of the head, getting Charlie Weiss fired, all the U-C-O-N-N chants leaving that stadium. Would love to go back

Reaction Score
Not that I would mind.

Would it surprise anyone when ND plays the worst 12-0 Season in history consisting of tilts with Umass, NMSU, and Liberty yet somehow finds their way into the playoff?

Reaction Score
By far the greatest UConn football game I ever attended was in south bend. Brings back some unbelivable memories. Jimmy Clausen getting punched in the back of the head, getting Charlie Weiss fired, all the U-C-O-N-N chants leaving that stadium. Would love to go back
If the schedule materializes this way, there's a 0.000000001% chance anyone will be in the stands at that game.

Reaction Score
Would it surprise anyone when ND plays the worst 12-0 Season in history consisting of tilts with Umass, NMSU, and Liberty yet somehow finds their way into the playoff?

It’s ok you can throw UConn on that list.
We can take it.

Reaction Score
I don't envy DB's if the season is shortened. That's got to be a huge headache reconfiguring the schedule
Agree and would like to add he has had a huge headache since he got here. ;)

all that work to put a schedule together with basically zero time and then this happens. Dude is gonna need a long vacation
Agree, he must have a hell of a staff around him with the conference change and football going indy. Probably the highest work load of any AD in the country at the time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom