UConn Looking To Boost Spring Game Experience | The Boneyard

UConn Looking To Boost Spring Game Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The pre-game and in-game experience is key for fan and program interest.

The actual game is too much of a crap shoot to make it the focal point. Injuries and weather can play a big role in the quality of the game. No coach, and rightly so, would risk injuries to his players for the sake of an over glorified scrimmage.

But, having a good pre-game tailgate experience, fan recognition and giveaways during the game? Those are easy.

Put mics on the coaches and pipe it in to the stadium.

Have the fans pick a play for offense via twitter or text. Give three or four options and the highest tally wins.

Pick a couple of season ticket holders who are in attendance and give them a bump up one class in seats. Or add one or two seats to their package. Throw in a couple of upgraded parking passes for the season while they're at it.

Pick a fan to be the PA announcer for a series or two.

Have fans videotape their tailgates and play them on the jumbotron. Give away a tailgate package.

The entire day ought to be part fan appreciation, part fan growth and part program promotion.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Last year they couldn't even be bothered to have printed rosters at every gate. They sent you to a tent behind the scoreboard. Even a half-assed effort would be a 100% upgrade. It presaged the season.

And they finally moved the game off the first day of Fishing season. About freakin time.

Reaction Score
Waquoit may have a point. A lot of Ct people enjoy first day of fishing with youngsters and DEEP really promotes the event with articles and pictures of streams being stocked in a multitude of papers..

I could never figure out why Spring football was held the same date as "fishing derby's". I know a lot of families that took their kids fishing.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Here's how we boost the Spring Game's interest... give a mic to HCBD before and after the game. Address us fans... Think of it as a pep-rally for the season and a way to give us fans something to cheer for. Also, maybe do some giveaways... Tailgate Expirences, pre-game stuff like @Chin Diesel was saying...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Last year they couldn't even be bothered to have printed rosters at every gate. They sent you to a tent behind the scoreboard. Even a half-assed effort would be a 100% upgrade. It presaged the season.

And they finally moved the game off the first day of Fishing season. About freakin time.

The Former Regime treated the Spring scrimmage as just that. They seemed disengaged and annoyed that fans had the gall to want to watch it. My buddies and I went to Sliders after the "game" and saw (IIRC) Notre Dame and Alabama's spring game. They were actual games. Coach Diaco, coming from Notre Dame surely has some ideas that he is sharing with SDI and Marketing. Some of the following need to be included. Others will be much more difficult to implement.

The pre-game and in-game experience is key for fan and program interest.

The actual game is too much of a crap shoot to make it the focal point. Injuries and weather can play a big role in the quality of the game. No coach, and rightly so, would risk injuries to his players for the sake of an over glorified scrimmage.

But, having a good pre-game tailgate experience, fan recognition and giveaways during the game? Those are easy.

Put mics on the coaches and pipe it in to the stadium. (Maybe not for the play calls themselves but the coaching that goes on before and after.).

Have the fans pick a play for offense via twitter or text. Give three or four options and the highest tally wins. (Interesting. But how do you run a public play, which the long bomb is bound to be the most popular every time, when the Defense what's coming. I thought we were trying to get away from the Former regime's tendencies?),

Pick a couple of season ticket holders who are in attendance and give them a bump up one class in seats. Or add one or two seats to their package. Throw in a couple of upgraded parking passes for the season while they're at it. (Love this idea. They need to reserve some a few choices though. Lower is not necessarily better. If I had row 2 in Section 241 for example I would not "upgrade to row 5 in Section 138, for example.)

Pick a fan to be the PA announcer for a series or two. (Change fan to child-fan and we have a winner. Grow'em young).

Have fans videotape their tailgates and play them on the jumbotron. Give away a tailgate package. (Especially like part 2 of this one...)

The entire day ought to be part fan appreciation, part fan growth and part program promotion

Husky25

Reaction Score
I have one!!! Call on me!!!! Oh, Oh (**raises hand higher in air**)!!!!

(Disregarding for a moment that player do get hurt and may not be available) Have a real game with refs, Down markers, and 10 yard hash markers. Then give fans either a blue or white T-Shirt. Whichever color shirt you get is the side you "root" for (1st Team O/2nd Team D on one side, 2T O/1T D on the other).

While the T shirt could be plain, where's the fun in that (Plus it needs to be sponsored to pull it off)? It should have at least the logo and UCONN on it and maybe some indication of "Spring Game 2014." Give the fans in attendance some recognition of off-season fandom and a sense of exclusivity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Run the goal line offense. Go through some basic drills. Send everyone home bored out of their wits.

Oh wait...that was last year's program.

And while some decide to ADD to the conversation the usual suspects will still find cause to b i t c h!
NOTE: Passive aggressive tone doesn't lessen the gery of the intent!

Reaction Score
Actually, the 2012 Spring Game was not too bad. We got to see several guys in action who were new to the program, we didn't run the football well, though at the time everyone just thought it was because they wanted to see what Whitmer and Cochran could do throwing it. The "4th quarter" was somewhat anticlimactic but the first half was pretty good to watch. Like real football without kickoffs or punts. IIRC each team started on its 25 unless there was a turnover.

Reaction Score
With the movement toward protecting players (as it should be), Spring games will become more and more like the NFL pro bowl and like the pro bowl they should probably be eliminated. Even spring practice itself will probably be scaled back at some point, these kids should have at least one semester where they can focus on the school work.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When the Rent first opened I remember they had a live band at pre-game it didn't last long for whatever reason but it made it feel more like an event and people dared to stary away from their tailgate. Now maybe it wouldn't work for the games so much but for the spring game it should be a no brainer. I also like the idea of inviting the HS Bands, and to one step further HS FB teams.

Reaction Score
Here's how we boost the Spring Game's interest... give a mic to HCBD before and after the game. Address us fans... Think of it as a pep-rally for the season and a way to give us fans something to cheer for. Also, maybe do some giveaways... Tailgate Expirences, pre-game stuff like @Chin Diesel was saying...
You are exactly right. The coach is a one man marketing band

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Band day.

Invite high school bands from all over the state.

Let them on the field along side of the UConn MB for a giant National Anthem before the game.

That would pretty much double attendance.

The school should work with the CIAC to have that weekend void of any HS sporting events and then invite all athletic programs throughout the state.

Reaction Score
I've always wondered how a Uconn spring game compares to that of an SEC program.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Turn on EPSN after you get home from the UConn scrimmage. 'Bama's is televised. They play a real game in front of a 80,000 people.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Band day.

Invite high school bands from all over the state.

Let them on the field along side of the UConn MB for a giant National Anthem before the game.

That would pretty much double attendance.

This used to be done during the season at the old Memorial Field. It was called Band Day. Took my hs band their few times. It was a blast.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Some good ideas on this thread. I recall watching a Florida spring game years ago under Urban Meyer and seeing a few Gator players run 40 yd dashes. I even think they had some races between a few of the faster guys on the team. I liked the idea since it was a fun competition and the fans enjoyed seeing the stopwatch times posted. Perhaps some sort of a skills competition could create a competitive environment for the players while giving the fans a little bit of fun.

Last year's "game" was a disaster. But one thing that UCONN has ALWAYS done very well is engaging with the fans afterward. All of the guys and coaches are always very accommodating. The cheerleaders too. My niece had a blast last year getting their autographs and taking pictures with them. I hope this continues every year.

Reaction Score
When they start finishing the prior season 10-3 or better, the place will be packed.

Reaction Score
Man, this will be the first spring game that I miss since coming home from overseas. Will be cooking in a BBQ competition in Staten Island that day. Hope we get some good posts on here. maybe some video?

Reaction Score
Since they have no more spring weekend, they should turn the spring game into an all day event, culminating in the spring game. Have concert in the parking lot, do a pep rally before the game starts.. have an alumni event. it could be the start of a new tradition.

Reaction Score
This used to be done during the season at the old Memorial Field. It was called Band Day. Took my hs band their few times. It was a blast.
FWIW, UCONN still has band day at The Rent during the season. Whether that translates to the spring game may be different, but specifically inviting Pop Warner, middle schools, and high school football teams and high school bands it might not hurt. Making it a broader experience may attract more CT high school parents, siblings, grandparents, etc. who otherwise might not know about or participate in the overall experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom