UCONN looked like UCONN...outsider's thoughts on today's game | The Boneyard

UCONN looked like UCONN...outsider's thoughts on today's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This was the first time I've seen UCONN since the Stanford game...this was the type of performance I think most people expected UCONN to have coming into the season. UCONN looks light years better than they did just a few weeks ago. Here are some big things I noticed from today's game:

1. Morgan Tuck looked great. By far the best game I've seen from her this year, she reminds me of a more mobile Asjha Jones. Did a great job of putting the ball on the floor and blowing by her defender to the rim. Good strong frame, good touch on the outside for a post player, she has the skills to be an elite player, only question is will the consistency be there this year.

2. Stokes was a monster today, she was Griner-like in the paint. She got seemingly every single rebound in the first half and is a defensive stopper in the paint. She is very long for 6-3. Her presence in the paint allows perimeter defenders to clamp down on opposing guards. If she shows up every night, UCONN wont be beat.

3. Even though UCONN had 24 turnovers, I think by the end of the season UCONN's offense could be even more lethal than 2013-14's. UCONN has three uniquely talented forwards in Tuck, Stewart and KML who are true inside out threats. They rebound well, can battle inside, take the ball to the basket and have good outside shots. Add in another skilled guard in Nurse and you have 4 very difficult players to match up with. No one else in the nation has more than 2 dynamic players, UCONN has 4.

4. For Notre Dame it was evident that nobody else had confidence shooting the ball besides Loyd. UCONN did a terrific job of slowing Jewell down. After starting 5-6, Loyd hit just 5 of her last 21 shots. That is terrific defense on one of the best offensive players in the country. Jefferson had a bad game offensively but was a lockdown defender on Loyd. She still finished with 31, but after her initial flurry, nothing was easy. Notre Dame needs other players to step up, or Loyd has to develop better stamina to get enough lift on her shot once she starts taking shot attempts #15-25. Same problem happened against Michigan State--hot start, cool finish for Loyd. She took 24 shots that game, 27 today.

5. I think in a rematch it will be a completely different game. First and foremost, Notre Dame will have Brianna Turner in the lineup whose length and skill will help negate UCONN's overwhelming advantage in the paint. She'll be an asset on the boards (ND was -18 today) and perhaps more importantly, she'll give Notre Dame a complimentary offensive threat to Loyd. Additionally, I don't see Mabrey going 0-7 in a rematch. I wouldn't be surprised if UCONN rolls again in a post season rematch, but if they do roll to victory, I think their game plan will be different.

All that said, this was by far the most impressive performance of any team in women's basketball so far this season. UCONN looks like the team to beat once again. I'd bet big bucks that we'll see a rematch in the title game this year.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Excellent recap... Thanks

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I don't see MoJet going 0/8 or Stewie 3/12, either. I think both teams will be improved by April, but that UConn will improve more.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Very nice recap!
I think the graduations over the last few years have reduced NDs talent pool - the replacement players are good, but not as good as those who have left (except Loyd who is very impressive.) I agree that Turner was sorely missed but that still represents only your 'two'. Muffet does a great job coaching, I just think the horses she has can only carry them so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom