UConn @ Ledyard Classic in Hanover, New Hampshire (Saturday 12/28 @ 4p on NESN & Sunday 12/29 @ 7p) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Ledyard Classic in Hanover, New Hampshire (Saturday 12/28 @ 4p on NESN & Sunday 12/29 @ 7p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed the complete lack of mention by Silver and Boyer in the UConn Daily? Blah blah blah blah blah, ad naseum, about round ball and not a single thing about hockey. Feels like the internal political war has been well and truly won by basketball, and to a lesser extent by baseball, and all other sports are in the process of being de-emphasized. Well, we knew that about FB, but I am a little surprised about hockey.

Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed the complete lack of mention by Silver and Boyer in the UConn Daily? Blah blah blah blah blah, ad naseum, about round ball and not a single thing about hockey. Feels like the internal political war has been well and truly won by basketball, and to a lesser extent by baseball, and all other sports are in the process of being de-emphasized. Well, we knew that about FB, but I am a little surprised about hockey.

... yea, but the UConnBlog covers the hell out of it and they regularly reference UConn Blog Hockey articles.

Reaction Score
... yea, but the UConnBlog covers the hell out of it and they regularly reference UConn Blog Hockey articles.
Fair enough, but the UConnBlog is not a house organ while the UConnDaily is.

Reaction Score
As I said, a house organ. How do you think they get paid? Always follow the money. The Daily Campus is not a house organ, btw. They may be subsidized by UConn activity fees, but UConn does not have editorial control except in extreme cases.

You think the UConnDaily is being underwritten by UConn and their content is being driven by the AD/University?

@JohnFSilver?

Reaction Score
You think the UConnDaily is being underwritten by UConn and their content is being driven by the AD/University?

@JohnFSilver?
Guessing that Mr. Silver, whom I admire, will chime in here momentarily. But I don't see any ads in the Daily, do you?

For the longest time I wondered what the business model of Facebook was. How did those guys get paid? And we started seeing those dinky little ads which slowly became more and more intrusive. And then it dawned on us all. We were being profiled down to what kind of toilet paper we used and how much roughage we were getting every day and those meta-data that rivaled anything the the NSA ever collected on us were being sold.

I am not suggesting that anything like that is going on with the Daily. But people don't work for nothing and writers have to eat. Things do not exist in the ether without financial support from somewhere. And they certainly aren't doing it on speculation in the hopes that someone buys them. There has to be money flowing somewhere that we are not aware of and my money is on the likelihood that it can be ultimately traced back to the institution. And editorial control can take many forms, direct to very indirect.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
...or they both have regular jobs and do this as a passion hobby.

(Hint: its that)

Reaction Score
What the (F###$) is going on here?

UConn doesn’t give me or Zac a nickel. I would take it though if they offered though.

As far as why we don’t have ads, we aren’t sure what we want to do with the daily yet. It is more popular than we ever thought. Kind of an accident.

As selling requires resources and business commitments, we aren’t sure we would be able to deliver the value at the price we want to charge.We are still trying to figure out what we want to be. This is a side gig for us.

right now, we are in hold on mode while we mull some direction. We can go several different ways, including donations (voluntary subscriptions), paywall, ad supported. We also might start to look for investor to help.

The reason we haven’t done it yet is we need capital for marketing.I have put in minimal money, about 1K to launch this thing. To take it to next step will require a capital investment, which we have to figure out which model to choose.

So, look out for a go fund me soon.

Reaction Score

also. On hockey, we don’t see much of It except for Connelly, don’t know the sport or players well enough, and no other media outlet covers them.

We would love more hockey. I can’t find a story on the ice bus. we are aggregators, not original sources.

Reaction Score
Lastly...

For jobs, Zac is at The Athletic as an editor.

I am in internal communications at a med tech firm that has a market cap of $150 billion.

That’s how we eat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member